New Rifle

I'm in the market for a rifle to replace my junk PSA I built myself a couple years ago. Stuck between the FN 15 Tactical II or a BCM recce rifle. I've heard nothing but good things from this community about the BCM rifles or putting a BCM upper on an Aero lower but I'm finding very little about the FN 15. Any noticeable difference between these two?

Wake27

I don’t think I know a single person that shoots an FN AR. Not that it means anything, just more of an observation. I’m a huge fan of BCM for many reasons, one of which is the options and value. BCM gets you an enhanced version of almost everything on the AR: stock, trigger, grip, trigger guard, end plate, charging handle, compensator, and maybe my favorite (depending on model) - enhanced profile barrels. Some companies may have one or two better options, but I don’t know of any company that sells ARs with that many upgrades, for the price. That specific FN has a Magpul grip, trigger guard, and stock which are both good and will mostly come down to personal preference. Not sure on the end plate, may or may not matter, but if you want one and it doesn’t come with one, that can be a pain in the ass without the right tools. Not sure what their combat trigger is, maybe it’s a GI or maybe it’s on par with BCM’s PNT. GI charging handle sucks compared to BCM. Rail may be stronger since it’s based on the Hodge, but it leaves a little bit more barrel exposed than a 14.5” BCM barrel paired with 13” MCMR. Barrel is mid length which is good, but government profile which, I don’t believe there is any reason for. Pronged flash hider which won’t have any recoil mitigation and tends to make a ping.

Again, I haven’t heard much feedback about FN ARs but I’d assume they’re solid based on the manufacturer. But, I’d take the BCM based on being able to get an ELW profile barrel alone. The charging handle, comp, and better grip are nice bonuses. Obviously a lot of this is subjective.

ETA - I also like BCM’s port size, I think it’s the sweet spot for a middy. I’m not sure what the FN uses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

henschman

I'd go with a company that actually publishes their materials and specs... i.e. not FN. Colt, BCM, DD, Hodge, and SOLGW do, and also have good reputations for QC.

Nowski

I'm pretty sure all of those companies will tell you all their specs or they can be found. As for FN Steve Fisher has used them for years and speaks highly of them, as does our Federal Government as they make rifles for the military.

Wake27

I'm pretty sure all of those companies will tell you all their specs or they can be found. As for FN Steve Fisher has used them for years and speaks highly of them, as does our Federal Government as they make rifles for the military.

True. In fact my last M4 was an FN. I was more saying that I don’t know anyone who has spent their own money on one. Also, as much as I like BCM, they won’t disclose their gas port size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pointblank4445

Established
Hard to compare a contract FN M4 with an early commercial FN to the Tac II line.

As nauseating as it's getting; here's some gas port numbers...
The factory FN middy's are between 0.076 an 0.078. Had some 14.5" factory mid-lengths both measured out at 0.077". My Hodge 14.5's were 0.075".
Personally, I like how the FN barrels shoot and their manufacturing technique that I'll take their gassing rather than going with a complete unknown with unlined/nitrided bore and a conservatively sized port.

I would not hesitate for one bit buying an FN Tactical II if I needed a factory-built gun right now. You can have them with the Pinch or Wedge lock. 99% of us are going to swap out the furniture and trigger to whatever our own flavor anyways. Their receiver fit and finish is very well done. The only thing that I'm not familiar with is their BCG specs. Then again, I don't know a ton about the others other than when most use C158 and some 9310...and so long as it's done well I don't care.

FN Tac II or BCM are the way I'd roll for a ready-made, no-frills factory option if I couldn't afford a KAC or find/afford a Hodge.

henschman

There's been some scuttlebutt from industry folks about what parts FN uses, but when it comes down to it we don't know because they don't publish it. What we do know is that their commercial rifles are not produced on the same production line as their military contract ones, since they're prohibited by contract from doing that. When they carry a similar price tag to other known G2G options, I'll go with the others.

pointblank4445

Established
There's been some scuttlebutt from industry folks about what parts FN uses, but when it comes down to it we don't know because they don't publish it. What we do know is that their commercial rifles are not produced on the same production line as their military contract ones, since they're prohibited by contract from doing that. When they carry a similar price tag to other known G2G options, I'll go with the others.

Quite a bit from all those companies that are unknown on certain criteria. You're gonna have to take a leap of faith on something or you wouldn't have an AR.

Btw, do an intro or fill out your profile please to help us out with some context to your posts.

Gettin way too damn M4c/Arfcom up in here.