New G43x/G48 - Two new "singlestacks" from Austria

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
IMG_3381.JPG

IMG_3380.JPG

Both pistols have a ten round capacity. Magazines are NOT compatible with the G43 - The new mags appear to be more closely related to 10-round G19 mags than extended versions of the G43 magazine

SCSU74

Looks like they really dropped the ball if they intended to compete with the 365.

Attachments

• 7144D506-0650-4130-8E33-50B134C13005.jpeg
    7144D506-0650-4130-8E33-50B134C13005.jpeg
    32.9 KB · Views: 42

WAVandal

From the looks of it, they finally made the single stack G19 variant I've heard a small minority begging for. Is this to try for additional sales penetration in states that have a 10 round mag cap?

Based Dude

I think they will sell well as thier is a large restricted capacity market and smaller handed and female shooters who struggle to get a firing grip on a 19, and end up with sub compacts that aren’t forgiving, will like a comfortable soft shooting slim pistol with Glock reliability

tylerw02

Looks like they really dropped the ball if they intended to compete with the 365.

Compete with it in what way? As in compact striker-fired pistol?

With Sig’s reputation and multitude of problems lately, especially with the P365, many won’t touch Sig. The G43 was not quite the shooter even the M&P Shield is.

Yeah Sig is slightly shorter in the grip with the same capacity. Is that necessarily a good thing? The Glock is thinner, from reading dimensions. It seems that from a concealment standpoint, most guys don’t have a problem with the length of the slide or the length of the grip.

I think these will run, they will be durable, and they will sell. Hell, I may buy one to replace my Shield after they’ve been out a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

David Mayeur

Some interesting notes:

1. The magazines are not interchangeable with the 43.
2. Most Glock 43 holsters will not fit the 43X, due to the increased frame width of the 43X.
3. The Glock 48 is Canadian compliant.
4. The internals have not been altered from the 43, which means we may see long slide 43's eventually.
5. The magazine is not a true single stack.

David Mayeur

One thing I would like to throw out there is that I see both the 43X and 48 to be an answer to a problem that shouldn't exist. Yes, many want a thinner Glock 19 size pistol, so you would wonder why I disapprove. Allow me to explain...

The G43, 43X, & 48 total width is 1.10 inches, while the Glock 19 is 1.34 inches. That's nearly a quarter inch difference. Many holsters are made from 0.80" thick Kydex, incorporating o-rings, spacers, and standoffs for hardware. That hardware then protrudes even further from the holster. In a world where the few carry hand cannons and the many are concerned with printing, one should ask how does someone get away with a big gun. It's rather simple. Look at the holster. With a good holster and good hardware, such as Discreet Carry Concepts clips, you can eliminate the thickness difference and have an overall width similar to a common holster with a thinner firearm. It becomes an entirely different discussion if you're looking at the 43, 43X, or 48 as a NPE gun.

Matt Landfair

Matt Six Actual
Staff member
Administrator
I have used my G43 as a backup gun attached to my ballistic vest on duty. I rarely wear a vest now (and I have gone external when I do) and a G42 in a pocket holster in my left front pocket is my current backup.

The footprint of the G43 has been good for that role - a longer grip of the G48 and G43X is even more appealing since I am using extended mags and would rather just have a longer grip.

David Mayeur

I have used my G43 as a backup gun attached to my ballistic vest on duty. I rarely wear a vest now (and I have gone external when I do) and a G42 in a pocket holster in my left front pocket is my current backup.

The footprint of the G43 has been good for that role - a longer grip of the G48 and G43X is even more appealing since I am using extended mags and would rather just have a longer grip.

I'm not discounting it in the BUG role. The method and circumstances for carrying one concealed on a vest is entirely different than those who are looking at this to carry it AIWB with a taco holster using a FOMI clip. In that role and the role of a NPE gun, the G43 width works well.

Matt Landfair

Matt Six Actual
Staff member
Administrator
Yeah - I rarely (rarely) will carry just the G43 - I have far better options that conceal just as well that are easier to shoot and have a much better capacity.

SCSU74

Glock designed the 48 and 43X to meet consumer demands. They didn't design either to compete with anything.

Sure seems like they are trying to release their version of the 365, just like the 19x was an attempt at the 320 carry/X-carry. Be curious to see what Sig releases at Shot and how long it takes Glock to attempt something similar.

David Mayeur

Sure seems like they are trying to release their version of the 365, just like the 19x was an attempt at the 320 carry/X-carry. Be curious to see what Sig releases at Shot and how long it takes Glock to attempt something similar.

The 365 is a sub-compact double stack.

The 43X and 48 are closer to a compact in grip length. Both are single stack. What makes you arrive at that conclusion?

Grizzly

This tickles my fancy. I've got an M&P shield with a comp and extended magazines. It ends up close to G19 dimensions besides the width. In a vanguard it does carry and conceal a bit easier with summer clothing than a g19 in a vanguard.

Add the built in aftermarket support (triggers,sights, holsters etc) for glock items makes this a very appealing gun to me.

Arete

Obviously these are aimed squarely at the CCW market in10 round restricted states.

The CCW market has long been clamoring for a single-stack/single stack-ish G19 sized gun.

Lack of an accessory rail, the 2 tone finish are also indicative of this.

Glock is about to put a serious hurt on Kahr, etc.

SCSU74

The 365 is a sub-compact double stack.

The 43X and 48 are closer to a compact in grip length. Both are single stack. What makes you arrive at that conclusion?

The success of the 365 and the timing of these being released.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oak City Tactics

Staff member
The market for those with smaller hands is one I had not considered. If you have any issue wrapping around a standard frame 9mm Glock these would be a welcome addition. While I don’t need either currently my thoughts immediately flashed to whether my wife might like the 48 better. If I say that 20 times I have proper justification to go to the gun shop right?

Based Dude

The market for those with smaller hands is one I had not considered. If you have any issue wrapping around a standard frame 9mm Glock these would be a welcome addition. While I don’t need either currently my thoughts immediately flashed to whether my wife might like the 48 better. If I say that 20 times I have proper justification to go to the gun shop right?
Of course :)

Spencer

Regardless of Glock's motivation, more options are not bad. As long as they don't rush junk into the market, I encourage all the major manufacturers to make as many options as their production and distribution capacity can handle. Complaints seem to consist of, "I don't need this gun, so neither do you." People forget that their mileage may vary. What about people who don't like two-finger grips, or having to use mag extensions. I have a Shield and I have NEVER used the flush fit magazine, and have often wished they would have just put a full grip on the gun. I also think there is a market for a gun that can fill a civilian everyday/plainclothes police roll for smaller frame users, or users who simply won't carry the larger guns. Also, those living behind-the-lines in states with capacity restrictions can now carry a Glock purpose-built for 10-rounds, instead of carrying a larger gun designed around larger capacity with neutered magazines.

Remember, everyone who will own a gun doesn't own one already, and everyone who will owns a gun isn't a hobbyist/professional like many of the people debating/critiquing these new options. Along with the way they seem to be listening to consumers on the GEN5 guns, I say kudos Glock.