Need a Gatorade replacment

Blitzer613

Amateur
Does anyone have experience with Emergen-C's hydration product or the "replenisher" which is basically their response to Drip Drop? The Emergen-C hydration products are less expensive and have more Potassium than Drip Drop. I don't know how the quality of either compares but the price difference can't be ignored. I'm not sure if the 400mg K in Emergen-C is flat out better than Drip Drop's 185mg or if there is something with Drip Drop's product that is fundamentally better than Emergen-c (Micronized vs granular, etc). I'm going to order some Drip Drop for a Red Dot Pistol class with Jedi this weekend but still want to find the best option in the long run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

David Mayeur

Does anyone have experience with Emergen-C's hydration product or the "replenisher" which is basically their response to Drip Drop? The Emergen-C hydration products are less expensive and have more Potassium than Drip Drop. I don't know how the quality of either compares but the price difference can't be ignored. I'm not sure if the 400mg K in Emergen-C is flat out better than Drip Drop's 185mg or if there is something with Drip Drop's product that is fundamentally better than Emergen-c (Micronized vs granular, etc). I'm going to order some Drip Drop for a Red Dot Pistol class with Jedi this weekend but still want to find the best option in the long run.

I've tried a packet of Emergen-C in the past. I didn't notice anything significant that would make me swap from Drip Drop. If I need more Potassium, Bananas are good for you lol

chasnojm

In reality, if you use a full stick of drip drop you get 370mg of potassium so they are about equal (also with both in 16 oz of water). DripDrop contains far more sodium which is just as important.

The cost is definitely on the side of Emergen-C, but I cant speak to its osmolarity. Another thing to add is that an ORS is a standard set by the WHO and backed up by scientific testing. Emergen-C is labeled as a sports drink, NOT an ORS. My assumption is that it cuts corners somewhere to save to be cheaper, but doesn't allow it to be called an ORS. More like an enhanced powdered Gatorade.

Blitzer613

Amateur

In reality, if you use a full stick of drip drop you get 370mg of potassium so they are about equal (also with both in 16 oz of water). DripDrop contains far more sodium which is just as important.

The cost is definitely on the side of Emergen-C, but I cant speak to its osmolarity. Another thing to add is that an ORS is a standard set by the WHO and backed up by scientific testing. Emergen-C is labeled as a sports drink, NOT an ORS. My assumption is that it cuts corners somewhere to save to be cheaper, but doesn't allow it to be called an ORS. More like an enhanced powdered Gatorade.

Those are very good points. My gut was that they have to be cutting corners but it’s hard to know with supplements. My temptation is to get some of the Emergen C product to use on a more regular basis or in the days leading up to a class to make sure I’m better hydrated from the beginning and then use the nicer stuff the night before a class, during classes, and recovering from classes. But if the EmergenC product is mediocre then I’ll just stick to Drip Drop.

chasnojm

Those are very good points. My gut was that they have to be cutting corners but it’s hard to know with supplements. My temptation is to get some of the Emergen C product to use on a more regular basis or in the days leading up to a class to make sure I’m better hydrated from the beginning and then use the nicer stuff the night before a class, during classes, and recovering from classes. But if the EmergenC product is mediocre then I’ll just stick to Drip Drop.

I suggest just eating and drinking water up to and following training. I'd use drip drop during/immediately after.