VIP
Posting for a student....
Modern Samurai Project AAR
November 14, 2018thecompletecombatant
Modern Samurai Project AAR
November 10-11, 2018

South River Gun Club: Georgia
46011101_10215521591966078_3173339326838734848_n1.jpg

I made two goals this year. To work on my speed, and to explore the red dot. When I found out Scott Jedlinski was coming to Atlanta, I knew it was a perfect time to take his course. This class focuses on learning to use carry optics, additionally, how a shooter can improve their fundamentals using a competitive methodology and metrics.
The curriculum focuses on shooters that have achieved basic proficiency with firearms and wish to improve to the next level of skill whether defensive or competitive. What truly makes this class stand out is not just the technical skills, but Jedi’s coaching. Every shooter gets coaching and individual attention. All the drills are broken down into micro drills, in addition each student is checked for proper performance. Honest corrections are offered, and so is praise when earned. There is no doubt Jedi wants you to improve. His endless enthusiasm for progress is infectious. I watched 13 shooters improve in a quantifiable manner. Everyone’s limitations were stretched, creating an environment of dynamic growth. Explain, demonstrate, drill, correct or affirm, then test the skill with each evolution building upon the previous exercise. Jedi enjoys teaching and connecting with his clients, which creates a teamwork environment. Many times when a shooter overcame a limitation, the class would spontaneously applaud and offer encouragement.
45849352_290020341629825_4201977809477828608_n.jpg

I have personally had quite a few coaches in my life, and I classify the good ones in these three categories:
  1. Technical/analytical – this type has the ability to observe and break down the execution of skills, developing a comprehensive approach to performance.
  2. Empathic/intuitive – this style seems to be able to see through your eyes, understanding the performance and offering a sound logical and/or emotional framework for improvement.
  3. Leader/motivator – this style makes you want to perform with a desire to not let the coach and/or the team down.
All three are important, serving the client well at different points of training, but the one to look for is the coach that has all three traits. Jedi displayed all three of these traits while teaching, which profoundly influences the clients’ ability to learn. One of the shooters in class wants to earn a turbo pin (Gabe White’s performance goals). Jedi took him aside during a break to work with him one on one, so he can achieve his goal. That is a deep level of commitment to the client, unfortunately somewhat rare in classes. Another contributing factor is Jedi is a martial artist, training in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. In my opinion, I think the martial arts coach faces a different set of challenges in the force on force environment, and it may lead to a better connection to their athletes and helping them achieve success.
If you’re interested in red dots and/or competition, I highly recommend this class. As a coach, I need to know how to use a red dot and how to solve problems for my clients. My goal was achieved, in addition, I definitely made progress as a shooter and a coach.
46067688_2276549952416441_5347516922432847872_n.jpg

Great fellow shooters, excellent coaching, and discernible progress is what you get with this class. Thank you to our host Jason Fobart, who did a great job organizing this event. Check this class out, and get ready to improve!

GulfCoast

Let me chime in here, as well. I attended the same class this weekend. I am a fairly new "trying to be serious" pistol shooter, but have taken many tactical pistol shooting classes, and many wing-shooting classes from world champions in various clay target disciplines. Jedi is as good a communicator of concepts in his area of interest as any instructor I have learned from, and frankly better than most. He certainly knows his subject in great detail, is passionate about the material, and has devised successive blocks of instruction to break techniques down into bite-sized, repeatable actions. His techniques clearly cut a lot of time off the traditional “learning curve.” As in about .4 off my typical draw time. He provided a great deal of personalized, individual feedback to each shooter, not favoring either the more advanced or less proficient shooter. Unlike some instructors, he was able and willing to demonstrate any aspect of his drills/technique/philosophy “on demand” and did so frequently. It was also clear that he truly wanted each student to improve, wanted to be there, and never "phoned it in." There was no condescension to the less technically adept shooters (i.e. me), so the class is “welcoming” to any potential student who can meet the prerequisite. I would recommend Scott as a coach to anyone who wants to learn the intricacies of the red-dot pistol, or simply wants to improve their shooting technique as quickly as possible.