Mount Height for LPVO

Have a Geissele Super Duty that is almost ready to ship and need some advice on what height Badger Condition One mount to order.

I am a regular dude and will most likely not be doing any NV shooting or anything requiring the 1.93"

What are the pros and cons btw the 1.54" and 1.7"? Vortex 1-10 will be going on it.

Thanks in advance

pointblank4445

Established
Without a riser, you're going to have a slightly tougher time getting a cheekweld for the utmost accuracy. For speed/heads up, it's not going to show much but when you get down to zero or push distance, it will. Facial bone structure varies from person to person; 1.375 gives me the BEST prone cheekweld but it sucks for non-prone/dynamic stuff.

With the proliferation of rails 13.75, 15" and anything longer than 12" and scopes now being closer to 1.0 rather than 1.1 or 1.25x, you will have more rail (and whatever is on your rail in your field of view). That may not bother you, or it may bother the hell out of you.

You mentioned no need for clearing a laser, but If you have a Mod button at 12 o'clock to run your white light on your long rail on your rail for example, 1.70" in conjunction with a .25" riser (if you run a Magpul stock) gives some of the best of both worlds...

In a few cases, I prefer the magnified optic at 1.54 because I run RDS either piggy back 12 o'clock or 45 degrees off the mount (depending on gun purpose/setup).

At the moment 1.70's are very hard to come by; 1.54" less so.

I'm also a 1.54 fan because I have an rds biggyback and I shoot magnified from prone and cover. 1.54 is good for shooting through small barricades and cover. Higher mounts are more comfortable when standing and moving, and to clear lights and lasers.20201207_010845.jpg

I just watched Mark Smith's YouTube video on mount height. I will probably go back and watch again but it seems like going with a 1.7" with a cheek riser might be the best option for maintaining upright head position and a good weld.

Anybody running a 1.7" with a B5 SOPMOD? Any advice on what your cheek weld is like or if there are any good options for a riser would be appreciated.

pointblank4445

Established
Honestly, I love SOPMODs, but there's far better options for just about everything...SPRs, shorty's/entry guns, general purpose. Everything SOPMOD does, something else does it better or without the flaws of the SOPMOD.

If you MUST, the only thing I know of is from Hoptic and it doesn't give much height. There used to be the SAPR, but it looks to only be available for magpul now.

Wake27

I just watched Mark Smith's YouTube video on mount height. I will probably go back and watch again but it seems like going with a 1.7" with a cheek riser might be the best option for maintaining upright head position and a good weld.

Anybody running a 1.7" with a B5 SOPMOD? Any advice on what your cheek weld is like or if there are any good options for a riser would be appreciated.

I’ve used a 1-6 Razor, 1-10 Razor, and now 1-6 Viper all in 1.7 C1 mounts paired with SOPMODs. Prior to the 1.7, I used a 1.54 and felt like I really had to scrunch my neck down to get behind the optic. Then I moved to a 1.93 that was very comfortable while standing but took longer than I liked to get into the eye box while in the prone. The 1.7 has been the perfect height for me and I don’t see myself using anything else.

I’ve used the offset RDS with it and liked the transition but wasn’t crazy about the added bulk so my Badger accessories to mount an RMR on top of the mount will be here tomorrow. I’m curious to see how high the RDS is off of the 1.7 but I assume it’ll feel similar to shooting a PEQ.

I’ve never felt the need for a riser and like the SOPMOD on these guns because I prefer the cheek weld profile and the extra weight to balance my heavier guns. My RDS guns typically have M300s and BCM SOPMOD stocks as opposed to M600s on the LPVO guns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chad H/BC520

Staff member
A higher rise also gives more flexibility to get behind the optic when shooting from unconventional positions, i.e. behind barricades or other cover, than you have with lower mount heights.

I appreciate all the replies - I may wait till I have the rifle and scope in hand and then try out some rings I already have to approximate the height I want before buying the C1.

nightchief

Fighter of the Daychief
I have a Steiner in a LT 1.54 SPR mount. I've been ok with barricades and unusual positions, but I would like to try a 1.7 mount. I think it would be a good height, similar to a 1/3 co-witness that I prefer in an RDS. I think acquiring a sight picture in dynamic situations will easier.

Tuukka

New optic and mount setup in trial. I have so far been using the 1.5"/38mm high Spuhr SP3016 mount for years.

The riser is due to wanting a slightly higher mounting that I have been using with the SP3016 and I did not find any mount in the 41-44 mm range ( only the 1.93 / 48 mm mounts etc )

The K18i now sits at c. 1.65" / 42 mm with the riser and Spuhr SP3001 mount and I feel like I do not need to push my head down as earlier.20210217_151722.png