Monopods: Are they worth it?

Sunshine_Shooter

Established
I've got an RPR whose butt stock is railed for use with a monopod. I've looked around and all I can find are monopods around $90 - $100. Considering a decent rear bag or sand sock can be had for ~$25 and can be made for free, here's my question: Is a monopod worth it?

RICKDAWGGG

Industry Nobody
Staff member
In most cases, I would say no. They usually can't adjust as quickly or easily enough (compared to just giving your rear bag a little squeeze) and I also prefer the way a rear bag has a bit of a dampening effect on vibration, especially on hard (think concrete) surfaces.

Sunshine_Shooter

Established
In most cases, I would say no. They usually can't adjust as quickly or easily enough (compared to just giving your rear bag a little squeeze) and I also prefer the way a rear bag has a bit of a dampening effect on vibration, especially on hard (think concrete) surfaces.

Excellent, thanks for the input. Any advice on filling material for a sock?

RICKDAWGGG

Industry Nobody
Staff member
I like to use the polymer filling beads for stuffed animals. They don't soak up water or degrade, and you can usually get a bag of it pretty cheap at craft stores like Joann's. If that isn't an option, airsoft BB's are usually pretty easy to find but usually more expensive.