Modern Patrol Rifle

SmElly

The dirt splash makes good sense, however you have to consider height over bore.

Something I learned the hard way in a carbine class this weekend is with lower 1/3rd you have a large height over bore of like 3 inches, and also a 50/200 zero with a max 2 inch ordinate becomes with 55 grain ball a 50/250ish zero where your like 3ish inches high at 150. At about 150 I was aiming at the head of a mini IPSC and consistently putting shots right over the top. Also we ran a drill doing snap shooting on playing cards at about 10 yards and even holding at the top of the card if not trying to cheat up a bit I was still rather low barely clipping the bottom

Something to keep in mind for those of use who are not snake eating operators
Normal height over bore is 2.6". Lower 1/3 is 2.8"
It shouldnt be making that big a difference, if I'm understanding you correctly.

Low_Speed_Notper8or

Normal height over bore is 2.6". Lower 1/3 is 2.8"
It shouldnt be making that big a difference, if I'm understanding you correctly.
Im used to shooting AKs with a lower sight offset and a different zero. Im just used to a different zero and am defaulting to that so I need to train more to get used to my new rifle.

When I was running an AK I was poor so I ran irons and I had a 30/175ish zero where I wasnt more then 2 inches above my sight line so I just have to adjust, again more training is needed

Bub

Amateur
I have been looking at adding another upper. Most likely a lightweight profile barrel setup. I checked out the Daniel Defense DDM4V7 model with the M-Lok rail. However, I have noticed or at least for the last couple years anyway, DD have been using plastic dust covers. When I ask one of the DD guys he said it was for weight savings. Is this a new trend?

MrMurphy

My personal patrol rifle is a 16 BCM, ALG mlok tube, SSA, Aimpoint. Magnifier to come when funds are free. At some point i may go back to a VFG due to wrist injury in the past. 500 lumen Fury in an Arisaka mount at 11.

BooneGA

Staff member
WARLORD
I have been looking at adding another upper. Most likely a lightweight profile barrel setup. I checked out the Daniel Defense DDM4V7 model with the M-Lok rail. However, I have noticed or at least for the last couple years anyway, DD have been using plastic dust covers. When I ask one of the DD guys he said it was for weight savings. Is this a new trend?

HK does it too. As for weight savings? You are looking at the difference between ~5oz for a standard cover and ~3oz for a polymer one. Less weight? Yes. Technically.

Rick

I use a factory built Daniel Defense DDM4V7 LW at work as my Patrol Rifle. It has the plastic dust cover. I'm not sure how much weight is saved, but it functions as well as any gun I've used which had the aluminum dust cover. I would not give the DD plastic dust cover a second thought if it was the only thing stopping me form buying one of their uppers or their complete rifles.

I’m all sorts of on board with LVPO, but my department is vehemently opposed to it. So for now I run a MRO on a 14.5” carbine I built on a set of Aero M4E1 receivers. It’s got a Streamlight ProTac placeholding for the Surefire that never seems to have an ETA, and a MS3 sling that’s...meh. I’m shopping a replacement.

A patrol rifle for me (based on my historical usage) needs a strong light, a sturdy sling, and a RDS or LVPO. Be it 16” or 14.5” or 12.5”. Barrel length is effectively irrelevant to me as long as the velocity stays north of 2500 FPS. My last engagement was 23 feet according to evidence techs. That’s basically a “muzzle velocity distance” and given the mostly urban and middle class suburban environments I work in, 2500+ FPS works. If you might engage baddies across Bob’s corn fields, your parameters may vary.

Longinvs

Quantified Performance
What do you have in mind with "lighter" weight? Is there a range you have in mind?

SmElly

I use a factory built Daniel Defense DDM4V7 LW at work as my Patrol Rifle. It has the plastic dust cover. I'm not sure how much weight is saved, but it functions as well as any gun I've used which had the aluminum dust cover. I would not give the DD plastic dust cover a second thought if it was the only thing stopping me form buying one of their uppers or their complete rifles.
Been considering the V7LW. That, and the ELW offerings from BCM seem to be the best "duty grade" lightweight offerings.

Any issues with handguard durability? Seems to be on the thin side.

Is a magnifier not an option? Or are you just not into them?

Also, if you're not worried about about barrel length since all of your foreseeable engagements are at muzzle velocity ranges, does an LVPO really hold much advantage over a red dot?
Light transmission (?)

Matt Landfair

Matt Six Actual
Staff member
Administrator

Took out my go to patrol rifle (14.5" with Geissele rail, Hodge upper, Aimpoint M4s) and my new concept patrol rifle (SOLGW 16", Steiner Px4i, offset irons, Heathen Bipod) and did some comparisons.

The concept rifle seems lighter and seems to have more versatility - I suspect I may add a LPVO on my 12.5" Hodge.

I shot next to my Sgt and he was on board with the concept of a versatile patrol rifle capable of close and intermediate distances. I think he might request this set up for future patrol rifles - if not the complete rifle, aspects of it.

Chaucer

Amateur

Took out my go to patrol rifle (14.5" with Geissele rail, Hodge upper, Aimpoint M4s) and my new concept patrol rifle (SOLGW 16", Steiner Px4i, offset irons, Heathen Bipod) and did some comparisons.

The concept rifle seems lighter and seems to have more versatility - I suspect I may add a LPVO on my 12.5" Hodge.

I shot next to my Sgt and he was on board with the concept of a versatile patrol rifle capable of close and intermediate distances. I think he might request this set up for future patrol rifles - if not the complete rifle, aspects of it.
Very cool. I love the new concept rifle: little extra ability and muzzle velocity, the law folder makes the length a non-issue for deploying.

Have you come up with any cons so far?
It just seems like the ability to setup on a barricaded subject etc with the bipod and magnification is such a useful and realistic application of a patrol rifle and you aren't losing much from the prior setup.

Solo or Exo rail on the SOLGW? Do you like your choice? Can we expect a mini-review?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Dpvaz56

What was you deciding factor in the Steiner Px4i versus other options on the market? Weight? Price? Size?

JS1

Amateur
Anyone have hands on experience with the new Magpul Bipod? At a quick glance, it seems to have benefits over the Heathens Bipod.