Modern Patrol Rifle

pointblank4445

Established
Is this a common trend with LEO agencies? I’d be interested in the reasoning behind this policy...if there is any.

I know of one personally that won't allow magnification beyond 4x. Doesn't matter what the bottom end is....1.1x, 1.5x, or a fixed 4x.

Policies are weird. They exist because somebody fucked up, to keep somebody from fucking up, or to shield the department from liability when somebody fucks up.

Years ago, we had one that required "permanent iron sights" on any patrol rifle. WTF does that mean? The intent was to prevent people from getting substandard red dots and not having a backup solution. But per the letter of the policy...only fixed carry handle fits that description for an AR...no flat tops. Technically, a Winchester 94 would fit the criteria, but a 6920 would not. I rocked an HK 93 for a few months until that got remedied (meaning: the boss got a new AR that didn't fit his own policy).

jwr_patriot

Amateur
Is this a common trend with LEO agencies? I’d be interested in the reasoning behind this policy...if there is any.

I know of one personally that won't allow magnification beyond 4x. Doesn't matter what the bottom end is....1.1x, 1.5x, or a fixed 4x.

Policies are weird. They exist because somebody fucked up, to keep somebody from fucking up, or to shield the department from liability when somebody fucks up.

Years ago, we had one that required "permanent iron sights" on any patrol rifle. WTF does that mean? The intent was to prevent people from getting substandard red dots and not having a backup solution. But per the letter of the policy...only fixed carry handle fits that description for an AR...no flat tops. Technically, a Winchester 94 would fit the criteria, but a 6920 would not. I rocked an HK 93 for a few months until that got remedied (meaning: the boss got a new AR that didn't fit his own policy).

I appreciate the reply. I figured that’s what it was. Follow up question: how many departments let you actually design your own Patrol rifle vs just use the one they supply?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pointblank4445

Established
I think most if not all the one's in my area will but each has their own policy/caveats. Around here, a "supplied" gun means it's a LESO M16a1.

Each department is unique in just about every aspect in all reality. As far as firearms policies go they aren't always setup by someone who has any clue what they are dictating. We can run must any sidearm we want except we can't modify except with some exceptions (yes eyeroll). For rifle we are completely personal purchase, just dictated to be an AR style in 5.56/.223 and we have to have backup irons if we have an optic. As far as everything else goes we make those choices.

This is good and bad IMO. You have guys that buy low quality rifles with even lower quality optics and lights on them and you have less people that carry a rifle at all because they don't want to spend money. On the flip side it lets me run a pretty legit setup. I would almost prefer a general issued rifle, say SOLGW/Geissele/BCM/DD as a 12.5" with a suppressor issued and then leave it up to the officer to add the optic and light they want as approved and installed by an armorer. You might be able to get more guys with decent optics and lights as they will have more money to spend and it will have more dudes with rifles in general.