Models 36 and 60

Matt Landfair

Matt Six Actual
Staff member
Administrator
model 36 and 60.png

Essentially, the Model 36 and Model 60 are the same in function both being five shot .38 Special da/sa round butt revolvers- other than slight differences to include blued steel v stainless.

The Model 36 (blued steel) is a 1960s manufacture. The original rounded grip with wood panels (as shown) is tiny and the newly added BK grip adapter helps the overall profile.

The Model 60 is a 1980s manufacture. It came used with a one piece Hogue grip that wasn't the best. I had a spare set of stock panels from a 442 that seem to be a better option (as shown).

Ammunition that meets the needed penetration through these provides a viable, small, light, compact defensive option.

Due to the exposed hammer, these won't be used as pocket guns or other carry methods where snagging that hammer can be problematic. My hammerless revolvers work better for roles that need less snag.

If you haven't used revolvers much, these provide a good starting point that won't break the bank if you shop around. .38 Special ammo is appearing on store shelves too.

#gunsofinstagram #smithandwesson #revolvers #edc #PrimaryAndSecondary

the_t0ny

And these are steel frame vs the more modern alloy(642, 340, etc) so you don’t beat your hand up from the recoil as much.

This Model 60 from 1983 is one of my personal favorites for OWB carry, even with the skinny front sight. The insides are buttery smooth and it shoots Georgia Arms Ultimate Defense wadcutters to the sights at ten yards. A Galco Combat Master holster, a speed loader in a (sadly discontinued) JOX pouch and a Zeta 6 strip in front left pants pocket for topping off.... good to go. This came to me with a spongy set of rubber boot grips, not the good Uncle Mike's that were found on them for a number of years. I replaced with Altamont rosewood combats to give my pinky a place at the table and to give it a bit of style.

Model 60.jpg

bigfug

Amateur
This Model 60 from 1983 is one of my personal favorites for OWB carry, even with the skinny front sight. The insides are buttery smooth and it shoots Georgia Arms Ultimate Defense wadcutters to the sights at ten yards. A Galco Combat Master holster, a speed loader in a (sadly discontinued) JOX pouch and a Zeta 6 strip in front left pants pocket for topping off.... good to go. This came to me with a spongy set of rubber boot grips, not the good Uncle Mike's that were found on them for a number of years. I replaced with Altamont rosewood combats to give my pinky a place at the table and to give it a bit of style.

View attachment 9788
Been waiting on GA to produce sell their ammo again, really want to try it, so I am just running Hornady Critical Defense for the time being. Performance seems to be decent out of the short barrel guns, but I hear really good things about Georgia Arms.

Been waiting on GA to produce sell their ammo again, really want to try it, so I am just running Hornady Critical Defense for the time being. Performance seems to be decent out of the short barrel guns, but I hear really good things about Georgia Arms.
GA is shipping again. I've been carrying their Ultimate Defense wadcutter in my J frame snubs since I saw it demo'ed through four layers of denim by Mark Fricke and Chuck Haggard at the 2022 Pat Rogers Revolver Roundup. I get a very consistent 750 fps average from my Model 442, which is the J I carry most often, and Mark reports really consistent penetration in the 13-14 inch range through denim. It's controllable and it shoots to the sights for me.

bigfug

Amateur
GA is shipping again. I've been carrying their Ultimate Defense wadcutter in my J frame snubs since I saw it demo'ed through four layers of denim by Mark Fricke and Chuck Haggard at the 2022 Pat Rogers Revolver Roundup. I get a very consistent 750 fps average from my Model 442, which is the J I carry most often, and Mark reports really consistent penetration in the 13-14 inch range through denim. It's controllable and it shoots to the sights for me.

Thanks, signed up for instock notifications. Chuck Haggard is coming to town in a couple of months. Gonna see if I can convince the wife to let me sneak away from sons ball games to go to the class.

Nate Osborne

NateMac
Staff member
The Georgia Arms ammo is good stuff, I bought several boxes at revolver round-up in 2022, and still carry them regularly. If availability is an issue, I also recommend the Remington wadcutters. I have been pleasantly surprised with the quality of the new remington ammo coming out. I have shot their 158 LSWC and LWCSHP, 148 wadcutters, and a collection of their semi-jacketed HP ammo in the 110 and 125 grain variety. It has all proved to be incredibly accurate, and reliable. We also shot the wadcutters into clear gel through 4 layers of denim and penetration was excellent as well, while having a bit less recoil than the Georgia Arms loading. I get that GA has theirs loaded to 750 FPS to account for slower guns (due to more cylinder gap, etc.) but for most guns the Remington (or Federal for that matter) loads will still penetrate to an acceptable depth in gel.