Minimum magazines on person for classes

SmElly

Minimum no. of rifle mags on you for a carbine class?

Trying to determine if a chest rig is worth my money, or if I could get away with a battle belt loaded w/2 rifle reloads.

Reactions: MOT

pointblank4445

Established
Pretty much every course description for mags is over-estimated so some dillhole isn't constantly holding up the show. Unless the chest rig is something you've been eyeing and want to try, skip it. Kinda defeats the purpose of the class...using what you got and refining that. Too many dudes waste resources experimenting with crap in class when they should be focusing on other things in class. [Gets off of soapbox]

That amount should be fine for any reasonable class....there's gonna be down time. Don't know if you have a dump pouch but unless you rock sweatpants, you'll have pockets too if need be for the admin sake of it. I'd say it's more important to have a good supply of fresh mags. Better to be that guy with 2 on your belt and a bunch ready to go on the fly than the guy that has 4-5 all on his person and is always jamming mags.

If its some sort of course like a DMR where you could be away from your kit, you can always have a small bag or pack to have near by.

ggammell

Does not pass up an opportunity to criticize P&S.
Are you asking how many mags on the line or how many mags for the class?

If it’s the former, 3 absolute min. 5 preferable.

If it’s the latter enough to hold a quarter to a half of the class ammo load out so you don’t have to jam mags at every break. Ideally one full days worth. Being able to sit, hydrate or get a snack or catch up on notes instead of constantly jamming mags is huge.

SmElly

Noted. Thanks gentlemen.
Yeah, I've got plenty of mags to show up with loaded. Just unsure how much I'd need to take to the firing line to not hold up the class.

You probably don't need a chest rig, but you could always message whichever instructor you are going to and ask if he has any strings of drills where you need more than 3 mags on your person. Odds are they wont. But definitely keep extra mags off the line loaded so you can throw those in your pockets and jam the other mags while you hydrate and listen instead of only having to focus on slamming mags quick.

MojoNixon

Established
The last carbine class I did I had 3 in a BFG ten speed chest rig and 2 more on my belt with 15 loaded and ready to backfill empty spots. The last pistol class I did I had 3 on my belt and 2 more in pockets with another 20 loaded and ready to go.

marcusa

For most classes 2x rifle mags and 2x pistol mags on a battle belt will do just fine. As others have noted it's good to have some additional mags pre-loaded so you're not spending all day topping off. If you need a third mag or an empty one for a particular drill you can toss one in a pocket.

CD228

Amateur
Talk to the instructor and ask them if your current config would work. Your normal mission should drive your choices on load out not the occasional class. The class might also expose deficiencies in your normal rig.

jnc36rcpd

Agree with above. Most course announcements or confirmation emails will tell you what to bring.Unless you plan on using a chest rig for work or have one available to you, I wouldn't purchase one. As suggested, it's never a bad idea to have some spares. I'd probably suggest a small bag or a dump pouch is you don't want to stuff them in your pockets. Either will likely have more utility beyond the class than a chest rig.