Mini review of a M&P Shield 9mm with comp

Grizzly

The what:
M&P Shield 9mm no thumb safety stock everything but barrel
Barrel: Silencerco 9mm shield threaded barrel
Comp: TBRCi M&P Micro Comp 9mm

The why:
1. I wanted it to have less recoil and be easier to get back on target. This was going to be for my better half who doesn't care for the recoil on small guns. But has tiny hands and has a hard time shooting a g19.
2. Curiosity, after thinking about comping a shield and then seeing pics of one on FB I figured I'd give it a go.

The tests:
100 rds Federal HST 147 Grain Hollow Point - P9HST2
50 rds Winchester Ranger 147 grain T-series - RA9T
50 rds Tula 114 gr fmj
50 rd 124 grain Winchester Q4318

The results:

I was a little under whelmed at the change in recoil or I had too high of hopes going into this. Neither of us noticed enough of a difference in recoil to attribute it to anything but imagination. There was a nice improvement in how flat shooting the gun was and how fast I could get a sight picture again. So, a 50/50 win on goal 1. The wifey prefers her normal shield because it is smaller and easier to carry still.

The Silencerco barrel + comp are nice and accurate. Careful aimed shots on a 6" gong are hits every time out to 25m. We've been in monsoon mode the last few weeks and my cardboard targets are destroyed. I'm hoping to get some more cut up and will do some more accuracy testing later.

The longer barrel does help the gun conceal better, which is a plus. This thing in a vanguard holster is stupid easy to carry even in light clothes. I almost wish I hadn't put this together because it makes such a strong temptation to leave the g19 at home and carry this.

Function testing went smooth for the 250 rds I've put through the gun. This was with the stock trigger, recoil spring, 8 rd mags and 7 rd mags. I did try intentionally shooting limp handed with no malfunctions a few times. I had a two failure to feeds when using an 8 mag with the Tarran Tactical extension and 147 HST rounds. Not sure what was going on there and I didn't have the time to keep trying.

The only negative I've seen is that the comp is loctited on so removal for cleaning/break down is a pain.

Pics below and if there are any questions, measurements or other pics you want lemme know.
IMG_0868.JPG
IMG_0869.JPG
IMG_0870.JPG
IMG_0871.JPG

Grizzly

Thanks for the review. I would have figured that the comp would mitigate recoil, not just muzzle flip.
It does help with recoil some. Just not as much as I expected. I'm also finding I like the Silencerco barrel more and more. I find myself pushing the little M&P out to 15 and 20 yards just for fun now. I need to get a set of dawsons for this little guy and see how it works at 25. The stock sites combined with my skills and eyes don't well much past 15.

Yondering

It does help with recoil some. Just not as much as I expected.

Looking back at your post, I think that's partly due to your ammo choices. The thing about comps is they are most effective with hot loads and light bullets. They use the mass and velocity of the burned powder gasses to react against recoil and muzzle flip, so increasing the powder volume (which causes the reaction force) and decreasing the bullet weight (which causes the recoil and flip) gives you the most benefit. As a general rule, heavy bullet loads like 147gr 9mm, and typically underpowered loads like Tula, do not work a comp very well.

MojoNixon

Established
I’ve mentioned elsewhere that a comped gun may be a good reason to use P9HST4 the +P 147 HST. When I can find it in stock I’m going to give it a go in my G19 with SilencerCo Barrel and TBRC comp. My set up loves 124 NATO Spec ammo. Both Winchester and PPU. 124 grain and approaching 1200 FPS is Magic. 1050 to 1100 FPS with 147 may be magic as well.

Grizzly

Looking back at your post, I think that's partly due to your ammo choices. The thing about comps is they are most effective with hot loads and light bullets. They use the mass and velocity of the burned powder gasses to react against recoil and muzzle flip, so increasing the powder volume (which causes the reaction force) and decreasing the bullet weight (which causes the recoil and flip) gives you the most benefit. As a general rule, heavy bullet loads like 147gr 9mm, and typically underpowered loads like Tula, do not work a comp very well.
Good call, I've got some lighter non-russian ammo around I'll try out this weekend.