Military Athlete/Law Enforcement Athlete

CFM_47

Has anyone tried any of the training plans from Military Athlete/Law Enforcement Athlete? If so, thoughts?

Mike F

Amateur
I ran with his programming for about 6 months. I regularly try to switch things up. I've done both the mil athlete and LE athlete programming. Mil was more endurance based, with running and rucking. LE was more strength based.

Rob Shaul came here and put on a clinic for our guys and our main academy training guy started pushing out workouts based on what Rob teaches.

I liked the law enforcement athlete workouts. He breaks everything down into a couple week phases some with focus on strength, hypertrophic, then work capacity, the short high intensity. Lots of stretching, patterning movements to reduce/prevent injury in between sets. I liked the programming overall. One thing I felt was lacking was emphasis on the deadlift which was rarely if ever incorporated.

Bill Blowers

Sausage Six Actual
VIP
I haven't, but I've been sticking to Pat Mac's concepts in Combat Strength Training since the summer and it's working. Working in the sense balance is better, less back pain, and just working the speed and quickness has made me feel more athletic. Good stuff.

Prior,to this it was lift, run, lift, run......

King's_Own

Amateur
Once you learn the proper form for some of the more complex movements like cleans and snatches, LE Athlete will get you strong, like retard strong. I've been through the patrol officer plan several times and back in the day had like 9 months of MA WODs. My girlfriend purchased the on ramp program and went from typical twenty something to strong and lean female soldier.

Ross

Quantified Performance
I pay for the subscription and it's awesome. He keeps the workouts to about an hour 4 days a week. Main philosophy is sprinting and strength. Do only compound lift movements and everything is in 6 week cycles so it's never monotonous. We just finished a 6 week strength cycle and I improved in all areas and I've been lifting weights for a while.

Here is his video explaining their philosophy behind their programming:

(copied from their LE philosophy page)
The Philosophy behind our LE programming is rooted in this Paradigm Shift:
1) Your body is your primary weapon.

If you are unfit or injured, you are a liability to your unit or partner, not an asset.

2) You are a professional athlete.
Professional athletes use their bodies to earn a living. Law Enforcement Officers are professional athletes. Your paycheck not only depends upon your fitness, but so too does your job performance and survivability.

Fitness Attributes of a Law Enforcement Athlete
  • High Relative Strength
  • High Work Capacity for Short/Intense Events
  • Power for fast, explosive movements
  • Speed for short to moderate distance sprints
  • Upper body power, mass and strength for suspect handling and intimidation
  • Grip Strength
  • Durability for a long career
What Makes Our Program Different
We train for performance outside the gym.
Our programming is focused on training which transfers to tactical performance and durability. Gym numbers are meaningless. All that matters is outside performance.

Strength Focus. The best thing we can do for our athletes is make them stronger. Strength is the foundation of performance and durability. We train full body strength heavy, hard and often, using classic, proven barbell and strongman exercises. Beyond full body strength, we hammer the core and midsection daily, and often dedicate whole training sessions to building our athlete’s core strength. Our strength training is aimed at the athlete’s “Combat Chasis” – legs, hips and core.

We build durability. By developing overall strength, core strength and hip and shoulder mobility, we aim to make our athletes more durable. Strength + Mobility = Durability.

Our training sessions are periodized and programmed. We are uncomfortable with random training. We like to know where we are going.

We understand the “burden” of constant fitness, and program accordingly. Constant training can easily lead to staleness and boredom. Our programming cycles through emphasis on different training attributes, strives to introduce new exercises and short-duration assessments for engagement and athlete buy-in, and builds in both very intense depletion days and easier, recovery “unload” weeks to both challenge and protect the athlete.

Constant improvement. The more we program, the more we learn, and that increased knowledge is continually folded into training programming and training session design. We are constantly making changes to improve. We can always do better.

We use Lab Rats to test the programming before we publish it. We do this training too – ahead of when they are published on the website. We understand that programming and training session design are as much craft as they are science, and there’s no substitute for the coach writing the training sessions to do them also. We try and test it before we publish it.

Corrie

I had a subscription to Rob's "WODs" for a while, but ended up liking the individual programs better. I was strongest and leanest I've ever been while doing the Military Athlete programs. I came off of them because of an injury earlier this year, but will be back on them as soon.

I've never done CrossFit, but I believe a lot of the exercises are similar. And I still enjoy rucking from time to time, if nothing else to maintain stamina while moving under a heavy load (like a heavy vest, ammunition and possible breaching equipment over wooded terrain).

Grizzly

I signed up for a subscription and really like the looks of some of the programs. I think when my gym membership expires I'm going to try one or two of them.

Just for giggles I did the Operator Ugly assessment today. It was humbling for sure but in a good way.

Kilo

I've heard and seen nothing but great results from the guys I know that have tried it they swear by it. I haven't done it yet myself the operator ugly assessment is definitely an asskicker though.

Grizzly

I've heard and seen nothing but great results from the guys I know that have tried it they swear by it. I haven't done it yet myself the operator ugly assessment is definitely an asskicker though.
Digging up an old thread but the OU assessment is all kinds of fun. I did one back in December and scored a pitiful 107. I emailed back and forth with Rob from Military Athlete(or whenever name they use now, I think mountain training institute). I told him the specifics of my diet and training for the last year or so. He replied very quickly and suggested a progression of workout plans from the subscription to follow. Fast forward to today and I just redid the OU assessment and got my score up to a 152-155 (my mind got a little fuzzy during the sand bag getups).

Kilo

Grizzly that's badass man I think as soon as I settle in at this dad thing I'm gonna get after it again. Did you pay for a subscription?

Grizzly

Grizzly that's badass man I think as soon as I settle in at this dad thing I'm gonna get after it again. Did you pay for a subscription?
Yep I did the monthly subscription to get the OU train up program. Then I saw the huge variety of plans available and contacted Rob about the best progression. I sent him my scores from the first OU test so he would know where I was at. He suggested a progression of plans to follow based on the scores that were in the subscription system. I went from a 107 in Dec 2015 on the OU to 152+ as of Thursday.

I like it because the sessions and plans are job/task focused and take the thinking out of planning a work out.