Methods and recommended reading for deliberate practice?

tmoore

I really want to wrap my head around the fundamentals of being the best i can be at deliberate practice with my pistol. I am currently an A class shooter in USPSA, I very much want to break into the master class. i feel like my practice is lacking and I want to know what you guys do for yourselves (specific routines or micro drills you may do). ive watched the bill blowers video on his dry fire routine and that has helped as to what metrics to gather. i understand the idea of breaking down movements into micro drills, i just feel like im lacking organization and meaning in my practice. also any books that can be recommended on the subject would be appreciated.

thanks folks

P.S. a whole hog modcast about this subject would be kinda cool.

Mike Seeklander's book "Your Competition Handgun Training Program" goes into theory of practice and provides a structured program.

IIRC, he gives it away in e-book form these days so it doesn't cost you anything to browse through it.

oda175

Seeklander’s Material is great- and his subscription stuff (American Warrior Society) has a ton of video training material as well. Set up in a methodical flow of information too.

Ben Stoeger’s stuff is great - couple books on dry fire.

The benchmark is Brian Enos’ “ Practical Shooting- Beyond the Fundamentals”

A couple books- related to the subject :

Lanny Bassham- With Winning In Mind

Peak- Anders Ericsson ( Focuses on deliberate practice and mastery)

As far a gear- MantisX- you are able to quantify dry fire practice. I fire less than 500 live 9mm a month- and with appx 2000 dry-fires per month through the Mantis I maintain a 95 average on B8s at 25yards- with a mixture of striker fire and DA/SA guns.

Other than that- most of my dry fire fire is draws/ reloads/ and manipulation. Save your live fire sessions for accuracy work and recoil management drills. (And matches...)

Honestly - if you wanna make master- stop focusing on making master- and focus on the refined skills that make you a seamless shooter- tackle your weaknesses ( distance, SHO, ect....) And branch out to other sports- such as IDPA. May not be nearly as fun as USPSA- but hammers down accuracy.

tmoore

Honestly - if you wanna make master- stop focusing on making master- and focus on the refined skills that make you a seamless shooter- tackle your weaknesses ( distance, SHO, ect....) And branch out to other sports- such as IDPA. May not be nearly as fun as USPSA- but hammers down accuracy.

Good advice! I shoot some outlaw pistol shoots at a local club every month and we score that using idpa method. I also shoot steel challenge as well but not as often. My wife and I work opposite shifts so when she comes home I go to work, I'm with my daughter all day and go to work 4-12. Getting to as many competitions as I want to is a challenge. I have 2 a month that are a regular thing for me and any more would be a bonus. I try to just practice live ammo once a week but that doesn't always happen. I Dry fire every day.

tmoore

just ordered the Brian Enos book as well as Peak. ive been looking into the mantis and it seems like a good tool. ive heard opinions on them both good and bad, seems like a practical device to me though. distance is something i need work on for sure, i was doing the no fail shot the other day and it spanked my ass. my support hand shooting is not the best as well so i need to tackle that too.