Metal Pistol Magazine Corrosion Prevention

tmart556

I am currently having a problem with my factory HK P30 magazines developing surface rust on all areas where the black coating has been worn down from the factory mag well and the mag release lever. I keep them as dry as possible and store them in a cool dry place. At the end of each day I make sure all sweat residue or other moisture is not present. I have been tying to clean the surface rust by brushing it off with a rag or nylon brush with generous amount of oil, wipe it down, add more oil, then wipe it down again to ensure dirt and debris doesn't stick to the mags. Despite my best efforts, I am still having trouble keeping the mags rust free. So far it is only surface rust on the outside walls of the mags but I want to make sure it doesn't migrate to the interior of the mags. I wanted to know if anyone here has dealt with this and has tips or tricks to maintaining the mags and or has experienced this themselves. I have just considered sending the mags to Robar and have them coated with some super voodoo magic coating to make maintenance easier. Any advice/help on either matter would be greatly appreciated.

Environmental Factors:
Live in Fort Worth, Texas but mags are stored in the gun or in an ammo box in a cool dry area.

Attachments

• 20190824_180959.jpg
    20190824_180959.jpg
    833.8 KB · Views: 16
  • 20190824_180933.jpg
    20190824_180933.jpg
    790.3 KB · Views: 16
  • 20190824_180954.jpg
    20190824_180954.jpg
    711.5 KB · Views: 16
  • 20190824_180946.jpg
    20190824_180946.jpg
    777.5 KB · Views: 16

shoobe01

Established
Where is there rust in these photos? They look good to me.

Never had rusty mags, but some very old self-loaders sure do have brown mags. Generously we call it patina, but it's just stabilized rust. Keep em oily and that is the "everything is fine" solution.

Next step up: Cold blue the bare spots. Same otherwise, keep them a bit lubed and carry on otherwise.

Mid range, I'd think about re-coating at home. Once very cleaned, disassembled, rust converter > very lightly applied good-quality spray paint. Let dry for a week before putting into service. Do it one at a time and you'll only be down one mag at a time. It's just metal so pick any friend who knows what "rust converter" is if you aren't handy in that sense, and they can help. Not a gun-specific bit of work.

High end: Robar. NP3 or something similar. This is cheaper (and not cheap!) in bulk due to shipping so you'd want to do all at once, so...

tmart556

The lighting I had hides some of the rust on the mags, failure to check the pictures on my part. most of the rust is above and under the locking recess.
I appreciate the advice. Im going to knock off the rust and keep an ever so slight coat of oil on the mags and see how that goes. Unfortunately I suffer from the 'my sweat is caustic' affliction and I may at some point send them to Robar to get them coated.