Messenger Bags

Looking at messenger bags - wondering what you like, how you've customized it, and how you use it.

I ride bicycles so messenger bags are an EDC thing. Weekdays it carries bike stuff, water and coffee (elixirs of life!), and the daily misc things. Weekends I replace the bike stuff for pistols, mags, and ammo for trips to the range.

If I could design a perfect bag, it would be a cross between a Chrome Citizen and the Rothco "Jack Bauer" bag with the addition of integrated mag pouches (like a Snigel Designs bag).

Any chance you've seen something like that? I owned a Sneaky Bag (when they were still US made) and I'm not a fan. They work well as range gear but not as EDC kit.

I have a Timbuk2 messenger bag I have had since 2012

I really enjoy how it has the laptop section, and inside the laptop section there is padding in that section and two dividers with further padding with a central area for the laptop and two outer sections. Furthermore it has 2 velcro straps diving the nonlaptop portion into 3 sections.

I find its very convient to put a handgun in the middle potion of the bag towards the inside, ammo on the left and a small external battery, and an IFAK on the right. Add on a water bottle on the side drink pouch and its a pretty competent EDC setup

I recommend having the divided portion for the laptop and the regular bag because even if you don't have a laptop, 1. its good for documents, and 2. you can carry your EDC type stuff in there and carry your regular everyday stuff in the main pouch

Also I would recommend having a padded sling if your going to be wearing it for awhile with anything more then a couple pounds in it. On my messenger/laptop bag when using it as an over-night bag and carry on I have found it to be very useful, and that seat belt strap while it might be stylish on the Chrome citizen seems like a pain in the ass if you are carrying a bunch of stuff on it.

I guess it depends where you live. In some areas it might not stand out. In mine a backpack is far more common.

In terms of wanting more stuff on the Rothco type bag. It wouldn’t be too big of a deal to put some pouches on the inside either via Velcro or glue. Especially at that generally low price point if you are willing to play with it you could make something entirely yours (if willing to have a ghetto rigged solution).

aneffinfister

Network Support I
I've been using a Mission Design Rummy for a bit (as in several years) now. Added a stiff panel in the main compartment with the soft stuff for the old BFG org pouches to stick to for some internal organization. Have a carabiner on the chest strap that both tends the tail when the chest strap is tightened down, and gives me a handle that makes it easier to grab and pull to tighten down. Love the fast tightening/loosening of the chest strap. No real way for super fast gun access without mods, but otherwise works great as a bag. Waterproof, can use as a rolltop if you need it to be bigger. Lacks full quick release if that is a requirement. Overall I love it though. Definitely doesn't profile as tacticool (because it ain't).