Medical Provider Roll Call

Max D

Corvus Training Group
It's good to see so many "W"s on here. I really believe that the realms of Wilderness Medicine and Tactical Medicine have a lot to share with each other. It's great to see some folks already bringing those pieces together.

Spisco85

I agree about wilderness and tactical training. Both are different boxes, and for providers used to a city environment, it can develop some great out of the box thinking.

A910

I agree about wilderness and tactical training. Both are different boxes, and for providers used to a city environment, it can develop some great out of the box thinking.

I agree. A lot of people don't realise the difference in approach between Rural and Metro field medicine. I enjoy working within the city simply because of volume and the higher level of stupid I get to encounter for entertainment but I also love the challenge of working rural. Much different environment. Our closest trauma center is over an hour away so we have to do much more extended care.

Always been interested in wilderness medicine though. In rural we generally have a bandaid station within 30 minutes to help with stabilization. Would be interesting to experience those areas where hospital support is 2+ hours away.

Tango Mike

I'm an EMT-A (formally "I" with some extras). Have mostly done austere contracts in Europe and Africa, nothing in a civie environment apart from clinical attachments.

I'm not a licensed field provider in the usual sense... I'm a board-certified ER doc, 25 years ER experience, all the usual ALS mert badges (trauma, cardiac, burn, pediatric, neonatal, etc). Formerly SWAT team member/medic for 5 years, 12 years LE. Currently and formerly Medical Director for local county EMS, have served on some State level EMS committees and hated it (BTDT, not buying that t-shirt again). I joined this forum to learn from y'all what's current in the tactical EMS world to keep my classes and my EMS team informed.

Max D

Corvus Training Group
Welcome to the forum, sir! It's great to have the high level of insight you provide!

KillJoy36

NRAEMT and State of NH Licensed AEMT. Currently employed by a hospital based EMS system covering 7 towns. Part-time gig as an EMS educator for a local training company. I love what I do, there's so much to learn and so little time to learn it all.

Rootbeer

Amateur
@Naveronski where are you stationed now? Who are you with? What have you done previously in your career, cause I can tell you Flight Medicine in the Army isn't what it is all cracked up to be. I am a Flight Paramedic with 82nd, hit me up if you have any questions.

Max D

Corvus Training Group
@Naveronski welcome to the forum. I'm a former flight paramedic turned mech inf Med p'toon sarnt. Flight medic has It's pros and cons. You loose the title "doc" and the respect that goes with it for the most part, but you get to do the coolest job in the conventional Army. I loved it in retrospect. I didn't like fighting with the pilots over patient advocacy issues, but the rest was awesome.

Naveronski

Root: I'm deployed to Egypt, northern Sinai. TDY in Buehring for a few weeks. I've spent the majority of my time either as cav or mech inf. I love being with my guys, but walking sucks lol.

What don't you like about the job? What do you miss most about being on the ground?

Max: What do you mean about losing the title, respect, etc?

Max D

Corvus Training Group
Root: I'm deployed to Egypt, northern Sinai. TDY in Buehring for a few weeks. I've spent the majority of my time either as cav or mech inf. I love being with my guys, but walking sucks lol.

What don't you like about the job? What do you miss most about being on the ground?

Max: What do you mean about losing the title, respect, etc?

I was talking about the title "Doc". I think one of the most rewarding part of my Army career was hearing my guys say "Thanks, Doc" when I was with a line unit. After entering aviation you lose that title unless you find yourself helping out the ground guys. Once you are in the aviation community you as seen as one more high-skill member of a high-skill team. You are no longer "Doc", you are one of the medics, logged as MO on the dash-12, and the reason why there aren't guns on the helicopter. (humor)

Since I've left aviation I've taken on the role of medical platoon sergeant for a mech Inf Bn. Besides the title of "Doc", which is now the title given to my Soldiers, I think I missed the warrior mindset. In aviation you will find a very intellectual approach to problem solving with an emphasis on the aggressive mitigation of risk. MEDEVAC is the closest you will come to just jumping in the chopper and flying towards gunfire, and even that is very well planned and carefully executed by skilled professionals.