Maritime Armor Carrier Options?

Arete

We have a (nominal) 12 man limited purpose tac team and we are now getting our feet wet (pun intended) with some potential maritime tasking. The issue of not drowning is now looming large.

We are using 1 yr old ProTech Titans with 3A SBA and Protech 2518 plates F & R, ACH type helmets, and normal complement of gear. These are not a QR armor carrier.

Looking for recommendations as to options for courses of action to remedy this deficiency/mitigate this risk.

PlasticMag

Amateur
LBT makes a 6094 system with built in flotation devices as does FirstSpear. I would recommend reaching out to both of them to discuss options that they offer - we looked into it for our maritime det (but now they're going away, so womp womp). Ideally you'll keep your armor and float in it as opposed to dropping it to the bottom of Lake Sadness.

The carriers are expensive, but they're worth it.

Edit - FirstSpear options:
http://www.first-spear.com/product.php?productid=17949&cat=272&page=1
http://www.first-spear.com/product.php?productid=17927&cat=272&page=1
http://www.first-spear.com/product.php?productid=17616&cat=272&page=2

LBT's website blows donkey balls, and their catalog doesn't go into their specialized kit that much - reach out to them directly.

Fatboy

Established
This is anecdotal at best, but a few years ago I read something about a guy in full kit going overboard with gear that was supposed to float. At best, it made him neutrally buoyant instead of helping him float. Problem was, he achieved that status several feet underwater. I guess it goes with out saying that around water minimal mission essential gear should be the rule of the day and not a suggestion.

Just something to be aware of.

Longeye

Established
If you are around water, you need to train in the water with the life support equipment of every category that you are going to be using. Not every floatation system is designed to or capable of floating a 200 lb barrel chested negatively buoyant freedom fighter along with 20-40 lbs of high density negatively buoyant gunfighting gear. It is smart to find that out before going in the drink on a dark and stormy night.

Arete

Thank You, all. I am using your replies to make a case for:
- adding this capability must be done right or not at all. Maybe we aren't in a position to do it (this thought also influenced by the P&S SWAT podcasts)
- it requires a thoughtful, thorough, comprehensive approach.
- training under real conditions to ensure things work the way we think they will, and to develop skill in this area is not negotiable.

We will try to reach out to a higher level agency that I think may have already gone down this road to see what they have done/are doing.

Much appreciated to all who responded!

Boy Scout

There is a post on another forum about a grunt that changes his gear for maritime ops. He replaces the backers with closed-cell foam, makes sure his side buckles are in the front and removes a shoulder pad... all so he can ditch should it become necessary. I only mention as it's the more cost-effective solution, not that it helps NOT losing your gear in Lake Sadness.

Not sure about the copacetic-ness of posting links to other sites...

I am Active duty Navy attached to a NECC command and we are using eagle marciras carriers with Mustang co2 PFD'S attached

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk