(If'd you'd rather just hear me talk, check out: youtu.be/nu-dAZa4Aio)

In the realm of training in the effective use of firearms, we essentially have two primary methods: live fire and dry fire. Live fire is great, but not always practical for a number of reasons, not least of which these days is near-prohibitive cost. Not everybody can afford to blast a month’s salary at the range in the name of getting a few hundred reps on the trigger. That old quip about “turning money into noise” is more true than ever.

Cost, convenience, availability and time notwithstanding, training must be done. Nobody can (reasonably) argue that dry fire is not an important component of any firearms training regimen. Issues identified in limited live fire sessions can be addressed thoroughly and efficiently during dry fire. This applies to the use of both pistols and long guns, in this case the AR.

A while back, MantisX introduced the Blackbeard auto-resetting trigger system for the AR-15. In the simplest terms, the Blackbeard kit resets the AR trigger after each press, utilizing a small electric device to move the hammer back into firing position. I’m not an engineer, and the design and function of the Blackbeard is obviously more complex. But for the sake of not bombarding readers with technical details, suffice to say that such knowledge is wholly unnecessary for the end user.

After having used the original MantisX system for years, I was finally able to get my hands on the Blackbeard system recently. After reading seeing other takes on it, I wanted to get hands-on experience for myself. On first look, the system is distinctively simple. In the box are the two parts that comprise the Blackbeard: a drop-in replacement for your AR’s bolt carrier group, and a battery pack that is used in place of a magazine. Designed for standard small frame ARs, the Blackbeard pseudo-bolt carrier fit snugly into each of the half dozen rifles in which I tested it. The BCG has no movement, and though there is a molded section representing the charging handle, this is non-functional. After installing the BCG, the user simply inserts the battery pack into the magazine well, just like any magazine. When the battery is installed, the small contacts on the two parts connect a circuit, providing power to the BCG. You’ll hear a tiny motor whiz as the system comes to life. From there, the next step is simply to move the safety selector to “fire” and press the trigger. When this is done, the actuating motor in the BCG cycles and moves the hammer back into firing position. You’ll hear the motor run each time you press the trigger, as the system resets the hammer and prepares for firing again. That’s it. That’s all there is to it. Trigger press, reset, trigger press, reset, repeat ad infinitum.

20210929_110123.jpg20210930_090733.jpg

The Blackbeard also has an optional red or green visible laser, or IR laser, built into the BCG component. The laser is adjustable for windage and elevation, using two small adjustment screws on the side of the unit. Both are accessible while the unit is installed, so there’s no need to install/uninstall to make adjustments. The laser can be set to constant on, or momentary, which only activates when the trigger is pressed. Used in conjunction with MantisX’s Laser Academy, this feature adds another layer of functionality and user feedback for tracking your training.

20210930_090802.jpg

Initially my primary concerns were two-fold: 1) that the proprietary battery pack would be able to function long enough for extended dry fire sessions, and 2) that the mechanical resetting of the trigger could be outrun. The battery pack uses a standard micro USB port to charge, which is convenient. I have plenty of those cords laying around, as well as chargers and small portable battery packs that I can plug the Blackbeard into whenever necessary. Three LED indicators show the battery’s charge. When I received the unit, it showed one bar of charge, and took about three hours plugged in to reach full charge. This seemed like a long time to charge, which concerned me. However, after roughly 3,000 cycles, the battery is still showing a full charge. Though the battery may take a while to charge up, it’s not using much power during function, which means it also lasts quite a long time. It should be noted that I have primarily used the laser only in momentary mode. In constant-on, I assume the battery will drain more quickly. As with any battery, eventually it will stop taking a full charge and likely need to be replaced. To my knowledge MantisX does not currently offer a replacement battery pack on its own. But knowing MantisX, they'll probably replace it for you if you ask nicely.

20210929_110150.jpg

As for outrunning the trigger, I haven’t found that to be much of an issue. I can count on one hand the number of times that I’ve consciously noticed the trigger resetting slower than I can work the trigger. It’s definitely possible, but in my opinion is not a big enough issue to warrant any real concern. The overall benefit of the system outweighs that slim possibility.

For those of us whose guns tend to be dirty and wet, the Blackbeard’s plastic/polymer body is fairly resistant to damage or interference due to fouling. The first time I removed the BCG from my testing gun it was almost completely black from picking up Slip2000 and carbon from inside the gun. Further, there was a bit of build up on the actuator, from coming in contact with a dirty hammer all day. A quick wipe down cleared most of the grime off it, though I’ve since found this to be unnecessary. The Blackbeard doesn’t care about getting its hands dirty.

20210930_090802.jpg

I’ve found the Blackbeard to be particularly useful in dry fire practice of simple drills, ie target transitions, up drills, safety manipulation practice, and so on. Not having to run the charging handle after every “shot” saves time and energy, allowing for more reps, while still maintaining the feel of the trigger break and reset. Before anybody chimes in about how it doesn’t produce recoil, no, it doesn’t. Nor is it designed to.

VideoCapture_20210929-112408.jpg

Like any training tool, the Blackbeard may not be for everyone. It’s not cheap, and some will argue that that cost could be diverted to live ammo. While this is true, it seems that in the long run, the cost savings as well as the increased ability to get more and better reps on the trigger will add value for most users. Overall, I’ve found the Blackbeard to be a valuable and easy to use system that has quite drastically changed my dry fire training for the better.

IMG_20210929_124053_086.jpg

Attachments

• 20210930_090744.jpg
    20210930_090744.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 8
  • 20210929_110053.jpg
    20210929_110053.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 8