Mainers check-in

Bringing back an old thread, I'm currently stationed in ME and looking to see if anyone has a hook up on a decent sand pit or other location where i can do some shooting, without being bothered or trespassed. I've been to Windham Weaponry and Howell's both are nice indoor ranges but I'm looking for 100+ meter outdoor areas where I can confirm zeros and do a little practice

Bringing back an old thread, I'm currently stationed in ME and looking to see if anyone has a hook up on a decent sand pit or other location where i can do some shooting, without being bothered or trespassed. I've been to Windham Weaponry and Howell's both are nice indoor ranges but I'm looking for 100+ meter outdoor areas where I can confirm zeros and do a little practice
Just saw this, you'll be hard pressed without going north of the greater Portland area to find a good pit. All the ones I used in the last 10 years have been shut down or built up, and the town of Standish just banned shooting in the best pit there. Depending on how long you are staying you could look at Scarborough Fish and Game Association, they have 100/50/25 yard utility ranges and a 600 yard rifle range that you can use out to 300 without taking the safety class to be allowed 600yds. The application process kinda blows though, so if you aren't going to be here 2 years or so it may not be worth it to you.

Just saw this, you'll be hard pressed without going north of the greater Portland area to find a good pit. All the ones I used in the last 10 years have been shut down or built up, and the town of Standish just banned shooting in the best pit there. Depending on how long you are staying you could look at Scarborough Fish and Game Association, they have 100/50/25 yard utility ranges and a 600 yard rifle range that you can use out to 300 without taking the safety class to be allowed 600yds. The application process kinda blows though, so if you aren't going to be here 2 years or so it may not be worth it to you.
I've only got about 2 years left on my tour here before I'll probably be moved somewhere else. I don't mind going for a bit of a drive if there's anywhere within a 2 to 3 hour trip. I looked into the Scarborough fish and game assc. and the application and cost just seemed a bit too much for me. The facility seems excellent, its where we shoot our quals at, I'm not too excited about the price or being tied down to a static sit and shoot type range though. I've had a few people point me to some pits in the past but every time I show up I never get a good feeling about it or the area is just too built up for me comfort. Maybe I just got too spoiled while I was in NC and shooting in the Croatan game lands.

There is a great pit just out side of Hollis. Its about 100 yards with high elevated sand walls on the 180. Generally not crowded. No Close by houses to complain. There is no exact address but if its close enough to you I can try to get more exact directions.

There is a great pit just out side of Hollis. Its about 100 yards with high elevated sand walls on the 180. Generally not crowded. No Close by houses to complain. There is no exact address but if its close enough to you I can try to get more exact directions.
Hell I'd be willing to drive a few hours if it was a good place where I could spend a few hours. Hollis area is definitely well within driving range for me.