Magpul Dynamics Carbine 1 9/13- 9/14 2012

WayneF

Magpul Dynamics
Carbine 1
Instructors: Steve Fisher and Jon Canipe
Grove City, PA
13-14 Sep 2012

This was my second Magpul class and the first one with Steve and Jon at the helm. This was also my first trip up to the gun club in Grove City.

I ran a BCM middy with a VTAC tube, Surefire brake, X200 with a pressure switch, Geissele trigger and Magpul furniture. My handgun was a Glock 19 with a Surefire X300 and a DG switch.

It was a fairly small class with only 11 students. There were a few cops, a fed, a single firefighter and the rest of the shooters were all civilians.

The equipment varied across the line including weapons. Weapons ranged from top of the line rifles with quality optics such as Aimpoints to hobby guns with cheap red dots. One of the "Fakepoints" went down before we even got the guns zeroed. Jon put a MBUS rear sight on the gun and the shooter continued on without issue. Buy once, cry once as the saying goes.

There was also a wide spread when it came to gear. It ranged from myself just running a single mag pouch on my belt with a couple spares in pockets to guys with full chest rigs, drop leg panels and battle belts. Quite a few shooters discovered they didn't really need as much gear as they brought and decided to drop it by the second day.

I won't list each and every drill but I will say that I enjoyed this course much more than my previous MD class. Steve and Jon stripped a lot of the flashier parts of the course out so as to focus on the basics and more realistic TTPs. They still preach an aggressive stance, recoil management and the ability to deliver quick and accurate hits but in a more well rounded approach.

Being an entry level course, we covered everything from loading, unloading and malfunction clearance. Even with the fairly experienced pool of students (including two LEOs that serve as firearms instructors) there were plenty light bulbs going on as Steve and Jon taught their very simple style of problem solving.

Shooting ranged from up close and personal at 3 yards and back to over 200. All the while we were pushed at a pace to test our own abilities and find our failure points.

Inside 25 yards we worked on multiple targets, failure drills and shooting while moving. Use of cover was also discussed as well as shooting around vehicles.

They were big on "checking your work through your sights" and ensuring that the badguy is anchored before moving on. That simple phrase describes follow through in such a way that everyone understands. I kick myself when I think back of all the convoluted ways I have tried to explain something so simple.

The round count is also about half of what the course used to call for. This will no doubt upset some of the ballistic masturbation crowd out there but I was quite pleased with it. There was training value attached to each and every round fired.

Everyone there left with something. Steve is flat out hilarious and his sense of humor helped with some of the students that may have become frustrated. Jon has an extensive operational background and was able to relate his experiences in a way that everyone could use in their life.

I have no hesitation recommending the MD crew to anyone. I can't wait to get back and train with them again.[/quote]

WayneF

Wayneard3413 said:
Steve Fisher demonstrating a drill...
IMG_5471.jpg

A student running one of Steve's guns during a malfunction drill...
IMG_5779.jpg

Pittsburgh PD officer running a multiple target drill..
IMG_5522.jpg

Steve showing how to clear a malfunction using a Multitasker...
IMG_5713.jpg

Jon C explaining target areas and offset...
IMG_5459.jpg

Although we didn't spend a lot of time with pistols, they did throw in some transitions...
IMG_5696.jpg

And the obligatory cool guy pic of myself that I just have to throw in haha...
IMG_5540.jpg