Magpul D-60 Drum Magazine

Bourneshooter

Blue Line Sheepdog
The Magpul D-60

476e23b46b4bbe8b68327e1bcc3f4602.jpg

I've got approximately 4 drum loads through one now. No issues or legitimate complaints.

7637fafd7f0c915a01508c3d37c5c124.jpg

I like the balance the mag loaded up brings to the gun. Also how it's the same OAL as a PMAG 30.

fe0047201a8728a58958acccc16c1415.jpg

My non legit complaint? It tires my thumbs out loading the mag.

Anyone else using them and have anything to add?

Last edited:

LSA_Miller

Lone Star Armory
Vendor
I'm definitely a fan. I bought one specifically to play with at DARC. Figured if it was going to fail, it would do so there. It ran very well there, with no malfunctions attributable to the magazine. (It's sims, you're going to have malfunctions if you shoot enough of them). This is with the magazine being dropped consistently on concrete, stepped on, kicked, and generally abused during that week. By comparison at least one brand new surefire 60 magazine died during the course.

As far as weight, it's heavy. The mag itself is just beefy, and you can feel it. On the plus side, it doesn't seem to make the rifle front heavy, and the weight is pretty easy to manage.

Proning out works fine due to its relatively short oal.

Since darc, I've probably got about 300 rounds through it. For now I'm using it in a trunk monkey capacity. I'm a little torn on it for this purpose. Due to the shape of the mag, you can't use a redimag or similar setup, so if you ditch your mag due to malfunction, you have nothing left on the rifle. (As opposed to a 40/30 or surefire 60/30)

Last but definitely not least, loading sucks. If someone comes out with a speed loader, I'll buy it.

TL;DR-

Pros:
- durable/reliable(so far)
- balances well
- short oal from the mag well

Cons:
- heavy
- incompatible with redimag devices
- loading sucks. Bad.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Bourneshooter

Blue Line Sheepdog
So the OAL of a D-60 is the same height as the PMAG 30. That is a nice factor. The fact I can deploy a patrol rifle with 60 rounds on tap, good. Especially when most cops don't worry or think about a reload and how nice it would be to have on hand.

gun papa

I have only used it once so far. Worked flawlessly in 7.5 inch AR pistol. Without a doubt, the toughest magazine I have ever loaded.

Mine has spend 4 days at the DARC house of hate and so far so good. Till needs some time behind it. I'll say I'll have a good run down by the end of the year.

IkeInTexas

Vendor
VIP
I've put 16 mag cycles through mine now (960 rounds) and all were with a 16" suppressed carbine. 8 have been full auto fire. I haven't had any issues with feeding or reliability so far. I really like the size of it and how compact it is considering it's a 60 round mag.

Really the only downside I see is the weight (obviously 60 rounds is going to be heavy, but then again it's 60 rounds of ammo IN the gun) and how difficult it is to load. I'll probably be going to stripper clips just to help load it. The first 40-50 rounds isn't bad but those last 5-10 can be incredibly rough to get in there.

Sample size: 1

Ike

Mine has spend 4 days at the DARC house of hate and so far so good. Till needs some time behind it. I'll say I'll have a good run down by the end of the year.

My D60 took a dump last night at DARC during one of the runs. After the run was over I started looking at it and there was approx 15 or so sim rounds just rattling around inside the bottom of it. I was able to get a few out but I ended up having to take it home and brake it apart to clear it up. I was going to take a pic when I took the back off but shit when flying everywhere!!!! I was like Bees!!!! Bees!!! And dropped to the ground and curled up into a ball with flash backs!!!!!

This all Being said I have used this D-60 for 8 or 9 Tuesday nights which is by far the highest round count nights as well as on several other DARC OPFOR nights and this is the first issue I have had with it. On top of approx 5 to 6k of sim rounds I have ran approx 2 to 3 k of live fire thought this mag.

While the inside did appear to be clean with no dirt, crud build up or debris there were a few of the sim projectiles busted up in there but I have no way of knowing if that happened in the jam or when everything flew apart.

Edited to fix all my Fred Flintstone fat finger typos from my iPhone!

My D60 took a dump last night at DARC during one of the runs. After the run was over I started looking at it and there was approx 15 or so sim rounds just rattling around inside the bottom of it. I was able to get a few out but I ended up having to take it home and brake it apart to clear it up. I was going to take a pic when I took the back off but shit when flying everywhere!!!! I was like Bees!!!! Bees!!! And dropped to the ground and curled up into a ball with flash backs!!!!!

This all Being said I have used this D-60 for 8 or 9 Tuesday nights which is by far the highest round count nights as well as on several other DARC OPFOR nights and this is the first issue I have had with it. On top of approx 5 to 6k of sim rounds I have ran approx 2 to 3 k of live fire thought this mag.

While the inside did appear to be clean with no dirt, crud build up or debris there were a few of the sim projectiles busted up in there but I have no way of knowing if that happened in the jam or when everything flew apart.

Edited to fix all my Fred Flintstone fat finger typos from my iPhone!

Wanted to follow up on this with a big thank you to the MagPul team. They are a class act and this post shows it. These are excerpts form one of the P&S FB post.

"Jon Canipe
If there was a busted sim projo in there that would make sense. Sims are sims...that is a friction point and also they don't hold up under reciprocation as well (obviously). Even in the event that it wasn't busted when it malfunctioned the sims probably contributed to it. Not trying to shift blame, it's just that sims will never feed and cycle with the reliability of a real cartridge.

We can swap it out and look at it if you want, but 5-6K of sims with no malfunctions in any mag would be a win in my book. Certainly, if it gets more persistent we will be happy to replace it, I just doubt another drum will be any more reliable if that's the only issue you've had.

Feel free to drop me a PM if you want to do the swaperoo."

My response :
John Wells
Jon Canipe no worries. I'm not laying blame just sharing my experience from last night. You are 100% right sims are sims and sometimes shit happens. After I got it apart last night and cleaned it up and put it back to gather I loaded it up and it seemed fine.

I'll be back out Thursday night so I'll get a chance to run some more through it.

I can say with without a doubt this mag is way better that my surefire was and I am not near as gentle with the D-60 as I was with the Sure Fire. I had heard way too many stories of Sure Fires failing when they were dropped for mag changes.

Thanks for the offer to exchange it but as long as it continues to work I think it will be fine!!!

"Jon Canipe
Thanks man, glad to hear it's working for you.

Feel free to take me up on the offer after a few more thousand rounds of sims...if for nothing else because I'd like to look at one with that high of a round count."

N

nate89

I am waiting for some cash to free up to try one out, and I am hearing loading to be the general bottleneck. Has anyone tried the StripLULA magloader in conjunction with the D60? I think I remember watching a video of someone loading one up, and that seemed to make it quite a bit faster, at least on the first part of the mag. The loader works with stripper clips or loose rounds, so it might be a benefit if it works for speeding up jamming the mag full again.

Erick Gelhaus

Staff member
I'm going to guess there was more than one causal, or contributing, factor to this. Screen capture from a local news report on an OIS after a failed ambush attempt on a couple officers. 14729345_10154510062586718_3090146647633326958_n.jpg

I have yet to find a good way to carry thenD60's till a friend let me use this.

It was made by a local kydex maker here in Arkansas. This guy only uses quality kydex and does very good work and it shows in this thing.

It's simple, well made, can easily have multiple belt attachments and works!

I put it trough a good range session today testing running, prone, jumping off 3 and 4 foot walls and had no issues with this thing moving too much or coming out until I wanted it out.

I hope to run it the next time I OPFOR st DARC to see how it holds up a d works in the swamp. It definitely beats the pouches I have tried hands down.

D60_1.jpg
D60_2.jpg
D60_3.jpg
D60_4.jpg
D60_5.jpg
D60_6.jpg