Magazine springs for Aftermarket base plates

K Williams

More specifically, I am needing to replace the springs in several Glock 17 magazines. I put the Glock +2 base pads on the majority of my Glock17 magazines 2 - 3 years ago and they are just starting to not lock back on the last round fired. I left the stock springs in at the time.

A shooting mate opted for G22 mag springs in his G17 mags and hasn't had any problems so far.

Please post:
1. Recommendations on springs to pair with Glock 17 mags outfitted with +2 extensions.
2. Spring recommendations for any of the other extended base pads out there.

Detmongo

Amateur
you could look at Wolf gunsprings. I believe you would need the +10% springs. I have used them in the past with my g19 mags and +2 extensions.

ptrlcop

Established
I'm pretty sure the 11 coil springs are what Glock advises for the 22 standard mag and 17s with +2s

JD Williams

TT innovations uses uses the plus 10% ISMI springs in their +6 base pads. Arredondo uses a plus 10% Wolff spring.

The Arredondo's I have been running have finally decided to not lock back reliably (6000 RDS ish). I may try Wolff next.

Per the 2014 glock manual, there is no specification for what should be used with a + base pad. They only say to use identical replacement parts.

Hope that's useful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DocGKR

Dr.Ballistics
Staff member
As noted, 17 mags with +2 OEM baseplates work well with G22 11 coil mag springs, while baseplates with a larger capacity, like the Taran Tactical, seem to work with the longer ISMI or Wolff springs that are often included with the kit.

I've run the +10% Wolff springs with the factory +2 basepads for the last three years with no issues and they continue to lock back. The primary reason is that the basepads would sometimes pop off if dropped with any rounds in them with the factory springs. I picked up three of the Taran Tactical +4 basepads and they say they can be run with the factory springs, so that's what I'm doing with those for now.

Chuck Haggard

Agile/Training and Consulting
Staff member
I have dozens of G17 mags using the Glock factory +2 plates and the 11 coil G22 mag springs, these have been 100% for me, and for many of the guys on my old job who also bought the extra parts for this set-up

MOT

Glad to have found this thread. I have a few +2s on both 19 and 17 mags. Both oem and Pearce. They haven’t been locking open for the most part . Lookin like I need to order up some springs. Has this been brought up with glock 43 mags+extensions? I have the TTIs and vickers. For the most part they run just fine but often when reloading it’ll fail to feed properly when I hit the slide release. The round just gets kinda parallel to the feedramp, nose into the top of the chamber. I have been able to do this with dummy rounds during dry fire as well. Anybody else experiencing this?

Chuck Haggard

Agile/Training and Consulting
Staff member
Glad to have found this thread. I have a few +2s on both 19 and 17 mags. Both oem and Pearce. They haven’t been locking open for the most part . Lookin like I need to order up some springs. Has this been brought up with glock 43 mags+extensions? I have the TTIs and vickers. For the most part they run just fine but often when reloading it’ll fail to feed properly when I hit the slide release. The round just gets kinda parallel to the feedramp, nose into the top of the chamber. I have been able to do this with dummy rounds during dry fire as well. Anybody else experiencing this?
I use the 10 coil G17 mag springs in my G19+2 mags, the noted G22 11 coil springs in my G17 +2 mags.

For the +1 Pearce mag bases for the G43 the stock spring seems to be enough. For the +2 bases I use a heavier spring.