M855 or M193 - which is more steel friendly?

leozinho

I have M855 and M193, and some decent 3/8 AR500 torso targets.

They'll be shot out of 10.3" barrels, mostly.

In theory I'm good at 100m, with even a 14.5" barrel, but one of the ranges I get access to is only 75m.

Which is less likely to dimple the steel at that range? Green tip has the steel penetrator, but M193 has higher velocity. The short barrel will reduce velocities of both, of course.

ggammell

Does not pass up an opportunity to criticize P&S.
193 CAN zip through the steel (ask me how I know). 855 will crater it.

Darth Tater

You know it slows down as it travels. At a certain distance (or rather a certain velocity) its fine.

Then why are you asking here if you have already made up your mind? I'm telling you what the guy who makes the highest quality steel on the market has told me, personally. I'm also telling you what I've seen (how people have destroyed brand new steel targets) firsthand.

Don't shoot steel with M193 or M855. Or do what you want.

leozinho

Then why are you asking here if you have already made up your mind? I'm telling you what the guy who makes the highest quality steel on the market has told me, personally. I'm also telling you what I've seen (how people have destroyed brand new steel targets) firsthand.

Don't shoot steel with M193 or M855. Or do what you want.

I didn't come here for you to tell me what you heard from some unnamed person. I assume there are people here I with steel, m193 and MK18s. I'm asking them their experience at how close they got away with it. I know what I want to to is on the edge of feasible.

You are still wrong. You can shoot M193 at steel all day long if the distance is enough, despite what someone told you.

ggammell

Does not pass up an opportunity to criticize P&S.
You know it slows down as it travels. At a certain distance (or rather a certain velocity) its fine.

Don't ask a question and be snarky about an answer you get.

I was hesitant in responding after having read some of your questions and responses on other threads.

I guess the only thing I can recommend at this point is contact your manufacturer and get their guidelines.

Darth Tater

Travis Gibson of MGM Targets, told me specifically that M193 destroys steel targets. I don't know anyone that will allow M855 to be shot at a steel target anywhere. I've seen brand new high end 3/8" steel targets from 50-150 meters completely ruined and unserviceable after a day or two of being shot with a bit of M193 mixed into normal ball ammo at matches. I've seen a buddy who didn't listen use M193 to crater and pit his brand new steel 3/8" steel at 100 meters using an SBR.

The point isn't to dissuade you from shooting your steel with a MK18. The point is, you really shouldn't shoot it with ammo that was designed to penetrate Soviet steel armor.

Darth Tater

Quite frankly, I agree with ggammell. I don't believe I'll answer another question of yours here. Your attitude sucks and is contrary to the spirit of this place.

275RLTW

Travis Gibson of MGM Targets, told me specifically that M193 destroys steel targets. I don't know anyone that will allow M855 to be shot at a steel target anywhere. I've seen brand new high end 3/8" steel targets from 50-150 meters completely ruined and unserviceable after a day or two of being shot with a bit of M193 mixed into normal ball ammo at matches. I've seen a buddy who didn't listen use M193 to crater and pit his brand new steel 3/8" steel at 100 meters using an SBR.

The point isn't to dissuade you from shooting your steel with a MK18. The point is, you really shouldn't shoot it with ammo that was designed to penetrate Soviet steel armor.

How about posting specific data about that. Travis doesn't give gerneralized statements like that from my experiences with him and there are many open variables to what you are claiming is fact. Provide proof or call it what it is- your opinion.

This is exactly what it says on MGM's website:
* Here is a good guideline. At 150 yards and further, using ammo without a “penetrator core” or “bi-metal core” (standard FMJ’s are fine) should be fine for rounds that are traveling less than 3000fps and weigh less than 185gr.

Defense targets says something else, AR 500 says their own thing. Each will be different dependent on the MFG due to a variety of reasons. Get the answer from them.

Here is what Frank Proctor says about it and my experiences mirror his.

(FYI- the 5.56x45 rounds military requirement was to penetrate US steel helmet at 500m, not Soviet armor.)

Again, get the info from the MFG of the target. That is the best source. No one here, unless they are the Mfg of the target the OP is using should be beating their chest over who is right or wrong.

PlasticMag

Amateur
I have shot steel with M193 and it has penetrated from a 20", 16", and a 14.5" barrel up to 50m away. I did not have an opportunity to shoot steel past that with M193.

I have shot steel with M855 from 25m to 300m no issues, all from a 14.5" carbine.

leozinho

I don't believe I'll answer another question of yours here.

Thank you.

How about posting specific data about that. Travis doesn't give gerneralized statements like that from my experiences with him and there are many open variables to what you are claiming is fact. Provide proof or call it what it is- your opinion.

This is exactly what it says on MGM's website:
* Here is a good guideline. At 150 yards and further, using ammo without a “penetrator core” or “bi-metal core” (standard FMJ’s are fine) should be fine for rounds that are traveling less than 3000fps and weigh less than 185gr.

Again, get the info from the MFG of the target. That is the best source. No one here, unless they are the Mfg of the target the OP is using should be beating their chest over who is right or wrong.

Thanks for that video.

leozinho

I have shot steel with M193 and it has penetrated from a 20", 16", and a 14.5" barrel up to 50m away. I did not have an opportunity to shoot steel past that with M193.

I have shot steel with M855 from 25m to 300m no issues, all from a 14.5" carbine.

Thank you. That was the type of experience I came here looking for. I'll stick with Green Tip and work in from 100 and see what happens.