M&P reliability

Our agency of 450 has been strictly Glock for about 15 years. 90% of our officers have moved to 9mm models.

We are actively looking at opening up our policy to include a couple manufacturers in addition to Glock. The two we are really looking at are the HK VP9 and S&W M&P9.

I know there were issues with M&Ps after they came out but everyone I know personally has had no problems with theirs. One article I have seen as late as 2014 discusses how Texas DPS dropped their M&Ps and went back to their Sigs - but of course there is nothing in the article about what the actual problem was. Can anyone fill me in on this? Or are there any widespread, un-resolved problems with the M&Ps we should be aware of before proceeding?

A910

Why HK? Better yet, why an HK model that is pretty much brand new?

The reason I ask is:
A) You're hesitant on the M&P because of early issues yet you (or your department) is perfectly fine with a freshly released, unproven design from HK
B) There are several other less expensive pistols from reputable companies out there that are proven in reliability

Better question is what is the criteria in which you are selecting the firearms?

regdudedrtyjob

I'll go the other way on this. The VP series was under development for four years. They are by far the best striker fired gun on the market for fitting to each individual shooter's grip. The gun is completely ambidextrous, and it has a great trigger. The pistol barrel is made the same way that the P30 barrels are, and one of these went for 90,000+ rounds. I'm more inclined to trust HK than other manufacturers.

DocGKR

Dr.Ballistics
Staff member
Both are good pistols.

The biggest problem the M&P9 has is inconsistent accuracy that is hard to improve. Having said that, the majority of M&P9's are typically fine for duty use. We recently had a chance to fire 10 rd 25 yd slow fire groups with six M&P9's compared with six 3rd gen G19's, both firing Federal 147 gr AE9FP FMJ:

G19's: 100-7x, 100-4x, 100-3x, 99-4x, 96-2x, 93-3x
M&P9's: 100-3x, 97-2x, 96-3x, 96-2x, 94-3x, 94-3x

In general, the M&P9's have greater dispersion and less consistency in their groups and the Glocks are generally easier to fix if you get a problematic one, but both are fine duty pistols.

Thanks guys. A910, believe me I / my department am not perfectly fine with the VP9, nor are we necessarily hesitant with the M&P. Frankly I wish it were easier sometimes to make some changes at an agency like mine, but that is not the case. I want to make sure all our homework is done here, and all our ducks in a row before I recommend anything to our officers that their lives may depend on. It's simply being thorough.

To share a little more info: Our firearms are officer-owned. We allow Glocks in 9, 40 and 45. A few old timers carry other guns that were grandfathered in, mainly Smith and Wesson 5906s. We aren't looking to replace guns en masse, simply to allow officers another option or two. Currently, all our recruits must buy Glock 17s or 19s when they start. I'd like to see them all start and train on a department gun, and when they finish academy, field training and we know they are going to "make it" give them a few months to check out one or two of the other options before they finally make a purchase.

The criteria was really put into place by Glock's shortcomings (and don't get me wrong, I like Glocks a lot). The well-documented .40 caliber / WML issues was something our department struggled with. Two years ago we were a 60% .40 cal shooting department. We gave our officers a chance to buy new Gen 4 17s or 19s with a payroll deduction option, our vendor paid each officer $300 for their G22s and G23s, and all but a handful took advantage of it. We are now a 90%+ 9mm shooting agency (and we have a ton of .40 cal sitting in our armory collecting dust now...). We have had a few sporadic issues with trigger reset on the Gen4 Glocks, nothing widespread though. The biggest turn off was their complete lack of willingness to address or even acknowledge the problem with their .40 cal guns when used with WML. We had dozens of these guns not running right, and were told that officers were limp wristing, that we were running the wrong light, etc. It seems they had adopted the "we hate you, you suck" customer service policy that once ruled HK.

The other criteria is grip size / modularity. As much as we have generally been pleased with Glock, their innovation is actually not that impressive. Their grip panels change length of pull, but that's it. Both the M&P, VP9 and some others allow a greater range of grip adjustment. Even with all the Glock grip pieces removed, the Gen 4 Glocks are still far too large for many of our smaller officers. Some officers have gotten grip reductions on their own dime with special approval and more and more need them done, as we aren't just hiring military vets and 602 / 200 lb men anymore.

Anyways, the VP9 proposal was floated by another officer. I was skeptical myself at first, but after really diving into it, I walked away quite impressed. So impressed I went out and bought one to check out - and I haven't bought any pistol but a Glock for the last 12 years. The gun has been out for over a year, and I have yet to find any complaints of reliability or fit/finish issues. As mentioned, the gun has been in development for several years, and the magazines and other design features come from the P30. Barrels are hand-fitted, accuracy is excellent. Frankly, HK has a solid reputation for reliable handguns.

As for the M&P, the reason I ask because in my research, and now in a few messages I have gotten from this board and others, there have been some problems where departments have not been satisfied with their purchase and sent a whole bunch back. I realize every gun has potential problems, but I want to know what those issues are BEFORE experiencing them. Doesn't mean I'd say no to an M&P either. What I don't want to happen is hear that it's all rainbows and unicorns, and then run into a WML issue like we had with Glock, where they blow smoke up my ass.

There are other pistols out there, but without a doubt, Glock, M&P are the market-share leaders, and the VP9 has some pretty nice features that is appealing. I'm not against looking at other guns, but on initial look these seem to be the best options out there. Of course, some of that is subjective. And as I said, we aren't replacing all our guns, simply looking to have another option or two to better serve our officers.

SonOfLiberty

Amateur
I've been told by a few very knowledgeable and respectable guys that the M&Ps accuracy problems lies in the melonite process warping the slides because of the heat. S&W has a new LE M&P model that uses a PVD finish instead of melonite. I wish someone had a chance to run an accuracy test on the PVD LE model to see if that helps at all.

A910

Thanks guys. A910, believe me I / my department am not perfectly fine with the VP9, nor are we necessarily hesitant with the M&P. Frankly I wish it were easier sometimes to make some changes at an agency like mine, but that is not the case. I want to make sure all our homework is done here, and all our ducks in a row before I recommend anything to our officers that their lives may depend on. It's simply being thorough.
And as I said, we aren't replacing all our guns, simply looking to have another option or two to better serve our officers.

Outstanding that answers all of my questions. Officers buying their own firearms was one of the reasons I was giving the HK the stink eye. My department required me to purchase my own pistol and was kind enough to not limit me in what I had to choose from. As far as the VP 9, I've read the pamphlets and online raves also, but I tend to stay skeptical with new platforms from any company. There are a lot of variables that go into how duty weapons function that are extremely difficult to simulate. So, much like new software and electronics, I wait awhile until mass use and abuse occurs. That's where you find the real issues, and good companies attempt to resolve them. For a higher end and expensive pistol, I'd want to be extra thorough before I spent hard earned money on a life saving piece of hardware. As of yet I haven't heard any common problems with the lineup.

Personal experience with the M&P line has been pretty positive with me. Reliability hasn't been an issue but that hasn't been my carry pistol of choice for personal reasons. I can't personally vouch for daily wear and tear with duty use but I've heard good things from friends who use them. They've been around a while and the most common issues have been widely published so you get a good idea of what you're getting into.

I don't mind Glocks and agree they are generally very good platforms. My department uses the Glock 22 for the full time patrol officers and they've been relatively happy with them. But as yours, we have a mix between large vets and smaller females and males. The females aren't a fan. Large frame and recoil are the complaints.

One option to look at is the FN lines. My duty carry is an FN P9. Been using it in various applications for about 5 years now including CC and haven't had any issues. Eats what I feed it, goes bang when I want it. Not exatly going to shoot the hairs off of a flies ass but the accuracy is pretty solid out to 25 yds. I have small hands but with the small backstrap, reaching the trigger in DA isn't a problem. DA/SA so if you prefer striker fired it's not a viable option. But I will say the reset when in SA is phenomenal. Just have to get passed the long DA trigger pull from the draw. Not difficult if you practice a bit. That said, it's affordable and reliable but you don't entirely get the ferrari options like you do with the newer lines of pistols. Not a lot of aftermarket. The FNX lines are better in that area and I've heard pretty solid things about them. But again, aftermarket isn't the greatest.

Good luck with your changes and I hope they go through without any major hiccups!

DocGKR

Dr.Ballistics
Staff member
Personally I'd skip FN at at the moment and go with Glock 17/19, M&P9, Sig 320, or HK VP9 for duty pistols.

A couple tidbits...

The Sig P320 is so far getting good reviews, but the gun is shooting about 4-6" left at 25yds. Sig is aware of this problem and trying to figure it out.

The M&P is a mixed bag. I will say that older pistols are performing well, but the newest models are not.

Numerous agencies in the US are dropping S&W due to poor customer support. My agency is a large one, and we recently approved Sig P320 and Glock 17/19/21 for officers in addition to the M&P 9 and 45 because of all the problems S&W is having not only with quality control, but customer service. The current rate of mechanical failure/malfunction for the M&P9 pistol is about 50%, and I have witnessed this on the range with new recruits in the academy. This applies to all new pistols over the past 2-3 years. Broken barrel, factory night sights falling off under recoil within a couple hundred rounds of installation due to the sights or sight dovetail channels being out of spec, trigger springs and other trigger components breaking, etc. The agencies involved have documentation of this.

When claims are submitted to S&W, they take a long time to fix the problem. 9 weeks to replace a barrel for an LE duty pistol, for example. Then you have the front sight issue where they refused to send replacement sights to the armorers and instead want the guns sent in to the Massachusetts for installation. This is not industry standard, as Glock and Sig will both send out parts to armorers without questions asked. Being a LE Glock armorer and dealing with Glock at my former agency, I have extensive experience with Glock. When I would replace parts proactively in Glock 22 pistols, I would just call Glock and tell them what I needed. In a week or less I had it. Having had a S&W M&P with problems, and experiencing the travesty that is S&W customer service, I know first hand that S&W is a far cry from the top companies in the game.

S&W pistols that are treated for corrosion resistance have poor corrosion resistance. It was big news in 2013 when S&W won a major contract with Los Angeles County Sheriffs Department. I believe they had some rusting issues with their guns if memory serves me correctly. My current M&P will have corrosion on numerous metal components if it gets wet at all. The Glock 22 I carried for 7 years at another agency never once rusted, and that includes after rain storms where it got soaked and I left it in the holster and never wiped it down. Any hint of moisture and I have to break down my M&P9 and wipe it down, scrub it off, and relube it.

Add to that their problems with production and shipping, and how it takes them upwards of 4 months to fill pistol orders, and that explains why LE agencies across the country are dropping S&W. Their blue label sales are a joke, because the backlog wait outrageous. Some of our recruits are buying pistols commercially because they haven't been able to get an LE model before the shooting portion of the Academy. We had an academy recently where recruits weren't guaranteed to get a pistol before the end of the whole academy. It's atrocious. S&W is bad enough to have pissed off the largest LE agency in MN, as well as the range staff there, and make them attempt to drop the gun entirely (gun was kept, but "authorized" list was expanded to give options instead of S&W...no clue why).

From an armorer standpoint, the M&P is an unreasonably complicated pistol for what it is. The need to punch out roll pins and remove small parts like the sear for service really is unnecessary.

S&W used to care, and they used to bend over backwards for LE guns, but now they don't care. Personally, I think that they are becoming such a conglomerate parent company with all the companies they've been buying, that they're going the route of Remington with a reduction in quality to meet production.

Just my $0.02, which is worth exactly that.

Paul_Hotaling

Alias Training & Security Services
I switched to the M&P 9mm as soon as they came out. It wasn't a pleasent experience for me. I dry fire a lot and went through strikers about once a month. Smith & Wesson customer service was great and they sent me their latest generation striker very quickly each time but none of them fixed the problem. I ended up going back to Glock's and 1911's. If you have ever experienced an M&P striker breakage its catastrophic. The plastic parts crush and compact themselves. Its a crap job digging them out to install the new striker. In the end I could not have any faith it wouldn't happen at the worst possible moment. I sold mine and never looked back after the third striker broke.

AresGear_Jake

Stiffer Is Better
Vendor
I've been told by a few very knowledgeable and respectable guys that the M&Ps accuracy problems lies in the melonite process warping the slides because of the heat. S&W has a new LE M&P model that uses a PVD finish instead of melonite. I wish someone had a chance to run an accuracy test on the PVD LE model to see if that helps at all.

Knowing the shop that does slides for S&W, this would surprise me not at all; we dumped them after they screwed up a thousand buckles...twice.

- Jake

Turkishroy

I own both. Not advocating one or the other, just sharing my experiences FWIW.

My vp9 has a whopping 500 rds through, flawlessly. It's my carry gun. The out of the box trigger is very nice, and the grip is fantastic without any concern for needing texture work or reduction. My wife manages to keep good control of it on the same medium panel set I use. It rides nice and deep in the grip, so the follow ups are very fast.

My m&p9 is my back up carry and competitive gun. I bought it in well used, unknown round count, beat to hell condition. My slide cracked after I put 400rds through it, just to the rear of the the relief in the rail of the slide where the take down lever is located. S&W replaced my slide and paid shipping both ways. I've probably got 1200 on the new slide, without issue. I changed the sear and striker block for apex units, the factory trigger break was unacceptably gritty.