M&P 40 S&W to 9mm?

regdudedrtyjob

Right now I'm looking at switching over to 9mm for my handguns. I originally bought an M&P to shoot the 40 S&W ammo I get from work, but that source of ammo is not what it used to be. I like this gun, and I was wondering if any of you guys had experience or thoughts on just buying a barrel to drop in and start shooting 9mm with? Thanks in advance.

Grayman

Established
I can't give you much insight into the actual components for switching it over but I can say that if you like the MP platform in .40 you are absolutely going to love it in 9mm! It's an incredibly smooth shooting platform in 9mm.

I believe you can buy conversion parts straight from the factory if it's a duty gun and you need all factory stuff.

Dod505

I like my M&P45, 40, 9, and 9c. The 40 is one of my favorite guns to shoot (I have 15K+ rounds fired on mine), but it can get expensive to stay proficient, especially when it's on your own dime. An after market barrel, Wolf or Storm Lake, with 9mm mags should work out fine. I have a drop in Storm Lake barrel barrel in my M&P9 that works well, but did not do a barrel convert. It may take awhile to break in the fitting though. People suggest a hand fitted barrel to the gun will gain the most accuracy. A few hundred rounds should do it, but it shot pretty accurate right off the bat. I simply took it to a 2000 round 3 day 1.5 VTAC 1.5 Pistol course for it's break in fitting. You may want to drop by the M&P forum, then post or research over there for a more definitive answer.

Prdator

I've been looking at doing this. I just chatted with a friend who's a gunsmith and works on the M&P a lot. He said all you really need is a conversation barrel. The extractor and ejector will work fine as will the recoil spring.

He said to look at KKM for the barrel

Atlas

I did it. Did a drop in storm lake. ran it for ever with no problems. But i just ran into mag issues we're trying to figure out. so I guess as long as your mags are good I still recommend.

CWM11B

I concur with the KKM barrel. I have one for my M&P9 and it made a noticeable difference at 25. KKM also makes a specific .40 to 9 conversion model. Call and talk to them and they give an LE/Mil discount. Additionally, you may wish to contact Apex Tactical Specialties. They are working on this as well.

regdudedrtyjob

Thanks for the replies dudes. I have shot an M&P9c that my father-in-law bought, and it was actually a really great shooter. I'll probably be getting the KKM or Stormlake 9mm and go from there.