M&P 2.0 RDS Holster problem.

Joker75

Amateur
I finally received my Safariland 6365RDS holster, for my M&P 2.0 CORE. As soon as I got home, I tested the fit and function of my new holster. My Streamlight TLR-1 HL, will only fit into the holster, if I tip the gun back, and insert it at an angle. Once the light clears the indent in the kydex, I can straighten the gun out, and it drops right in.

The second issue I have is that it is extremely difficult to release the gun from the holster. The SLS hood drops out of the way just fine, but I have to crank on the ALS release lever, while pulling my gun to the rear, in order to get the ALS to release. I can pull the ALS release lever as far as it will go, and the gun will not come out, without also pulling it back.

My current 7ts holster, and previous 6 series holsters have never required anywhere near this much effort to release my guns from the holster.

I'm hoping someone else might have some insight as to whether this is a common issue, or if there are any solutions, other than sending my holster back to Safariland, and probably having to wait another 3 months for a usable holster.
b3edc557c436efefdd207e213c25afd7.jpg
a975ad7ae36d1960e25375f5d9ad3137.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

shoobe01

Established
Yes, known, but since I run 1.0s and all mine fit without mod (other than DGswitch) I cannot for the life of me find the good writeup on it, whichever forum it was on.

You have tried simple stuff like loosening the tension screw right?

I also find, esp when new, simply spraying good silicone on the inside (plastic, not the microfiber so much) really helps.

I also feel there's a locking arm adjustment but looking now can't seem to make sense of that unless it's just loosen, push around, tighten?

Joker75

Amateur
Yes, known, but since I run 1.0s and all mine fit without mod (other than DGswitch) I cannot for the life of me find the good writeup on it, whichever forum it was on.

You have tried simple stuff like loosening the tension screw right?

I also find, esp when new, simply spraying good silicone on the inside (plastic, not the microfiber so much) really helps.

I also feel there's a locking arm adjustment but looking now can't seem to make sense of that unless it's just loosen, push around, tighten?

I have loosened the tension screw, but that didn’t seem to make any difference. A few weeks back, I tried an ALS only 6395, that a local shop had, and had the same problem. The shop owner commented that he had heard rumors about a bad batch of ALS parts, for the M&P 2.0 holsters.

I’m just hoping there is an easier fix than having to return my holster, and likely wait until sometime next year, to receive the replacement.

shoobe01

Established
Searching through history, found several folks running M&P 2.0 on 6360 / 6360RDS / etc. with... no problems.

Try without the WML to diagnose. Especially with the nosepiece in, the gun should fit and lock fine (not /rated/ that way, but IME it works) without the light. May help tell if it's gun alone like thickness.

I'd call Safariland before return. See if there is some adjustment or other thing that they can advise, even just diagnosing yours is actually wrong if that's it; also hate to see you return to get something else that doesn't fit.

Oh, one more thought: variants with minor dimensional changes. They DO explicitly support the exact model of TLR you have, right???

Joker75

Amateur
Searching through history, found several folks running M&P 2.0 on 6360 / 6360RDS / etc. with... no problems.

Try without the WML to diagnose. Especially with the nosepiece in, the gun should fit and lock fine (not /rated/ that way, but IME it works) without the light. May help tell if it's gun alone like thickness.

I'd call Safariland before return. See if there is some adjustment or other thing that they can advise, even just diagnosing yours is actually wrong if that's it; also hate to see you return to get something else that doesn't fit.

Oh, one more thought: variants with minor dimensional changes. They DO explicitly support the exact model of TLR you have, right???
According to Safariland, it is the correct model for the TLR-1-HL, and the RMR that I'm running.

I just got off the phone with Safariland, and they claimed that it was due to the mounting screw on the TLR-1-HL, and told me that I needed to get an "earless" mounting screw, from Streamlight. My local uniform store, happened to have a couple of the earless screws, so I'll give that a shot.

Joker75

Amateur
I got the mounting screw swapped out, on my WML. The earless screw does fix the problem with having to cant the pistol in order to holster it. Unfortunately, it did nothing to remedy the failure to release issue.

I looked closer, when holstering the pistol, and noticed that the trigger guard does his, and push against the holster. I completely removed the tensioning screw, on the holster, and that did not help at all.

I also removed the WML, and tried without it installed. I was able to release the pistol, but it seemed to be due to the muzzle end, moving towards the back of the holster. If I held the pistol straight in the holster, and prevented the muzzle from moving, while I tried to release it, I had the same result as if the light was installed.

I'm leaning towards the fingerguard area of the holster being the issue. I do have a coworkers RDS holster, that is marked for the M&P 5", but according to Safariland's fit chart, is listed for the Sig P320 RX. My M&P 2.0 CORE fits and locks great in that holster, and releases easily as well. I noticed that the area around the trigger guard has a small gap, on this holster, where mine is pressing against the trigger guard.

I'll see if I can contact Safariland in the next few days and see if they have any other suggestions.

Thank you, for the suggestions and I'll keep this thread updated, as I figure this out.

Joker75

Amateur
UPDATE: I contacted Safariland, and was asked to take pictures, and send them in to their customer service team, so that they could attempt to evaluate the issue. The customer service person that I spoke with, told me that they would forward the pictures to their engineering team, and see if they could get a suggestion, because if I have to return my holster, I'll be waiting 60+ for them to repair my holster.

In order to have my holster and pistol available when I called Safariland, I placed my pistol into the holster, and had in in my vehicle during my shift. After having the gun in the holster for that time, I noticed that it was, somewhat easier to draw, and only required a slight pressure to the back to get the pistol out. When I got home, I did several more draws, and noticed that it was definitely working better, but would still occasionally hang up on the ALS device, if I didn't have that pressure to the rear to aid in the release. I did notice that the liner had very defined wear in the areas where the upper sides of the slide were contacting it, as well as where the right side slide release was hitting it. The wear was noticeably worse where the left side of the slide was hitting. I also noticed a small area on the bottom of the finger guard, and the holster where the trigger guard appeared to be rubbing on the holster. I may still need to try to heat up the area below the trigger guard or leave the pistol in the holster, with something between the trigger guard and the kydex, to see if I can get a little bit of clearance there. I really don't want to have to return this to Safariland, and be out that much time, if it isn't absolutely necessary.

Hopefully, I can get something figured out, so I don't miss out on the opportunity to attend my agency's RDS certification course.

Joker75

Amateur
And, another couple emails from Safariland, with no helpful information, and no closer to a resolution. It is taking about 1 week to get responses from Safariland's customer service.

I'm starting to think it would have been better to return the holster immediately, as I keep contemplating that every email just puts me a week closer to what would have been the 60 day turn around time, to send my holster back to Safariland. So much for Safariland and their reputation for quality holsters.

I can't help but laugh at the fact that my coworker's P320 holster works flawlessly, yet the holster designed for my firearm is a complete failure.

Joker75

Amateur
UPDATE: Received another email from Safariland, informing me that, "We are going to have to have the holster come to our Jacksonville Florida facility for a fit check." I was asked what my address was, so I am hoping that they are making arrangements for shipping the holster to their facility. I asked what the process was for returning the holster, and am currently awaiting a response.

I have to admit that I am very disappointed that a company with as much experience as Safariland, with manufacturing holsters, would not have some type of QC process to eliminate, if not limit situations like this.

In February, I found a local shop, who happened to have just received a shipment of the ALS only (6395) version of this same holster. I had the same issue, when I tested out the holsters that he received. The shop owner mentioned that he had heard that Safariland had received a bad batch of the ALS mechanisms, for this specific holster, but that his distributor had lead him to believe that the issue was resolved. With this information, I was hoping that the holster that I had on order, would have the correct ALS mechanism, so I wouldn't be having this issue. Evidently, I was wrong, and now is looks like I'll be waiting several more months for a usable holster.

shoobe01

Established
Only one I have heard of was they semi-recently got a bunch of bad springs (they make most of the holster in house, but not metal parts including springs) and they were breaking, causing issues.

Would love to see the details of any other common QA/failure modes of course.

Joker75

Amateur
Only one I have heard of was they semi-recently got a bunch of bad springs (they make most of the holster in house, but not metal parts including springs) and they were breaking, causing issues.

Would love to see the details of any other common QA/failure modes of course.

Considering that both of the holsters for this firearm, that I have had access to, have had the exact same issue, it appears that there is a QC failure somewhere. If it was only my holster, I'd chalk it up to bad luck, but when two different holsters, designed for the same firearm, both faile to release the firearm, I'd say that there is a pretty obvious issue.

Joker75

Amateur
Well, it has been quite an adventure in the good old game of, hurry up and wait, in order to get a Safariland RDS holster for my M&P 2.0 CORE. I received my replacement holster on June 9th, only 5 months after I placed my original order, with our agency's contracted dealer. (Initial order placed January 9th 2020)

I was pleasantly surprised, when I was able to holster, and draw my pistol, without any major issues. I did notice a very minimal issue/hiccup when drawing the pistol from the holster. It feels like the pistol is bumping against, or nudging part of the ALS mechanism out of the way, during the start of the draw stroke. It hasn't hindered my draw, in any way, but it was something that I noticed. Hopefully, whatever the issue was, with my previous holster, Safariland found a permanent fix, so no one else has to go through the hassles that I did, in order to finally receive a usable holster.

I already have an OTD Nub Mod installed, and now get to play the waiting game, again, for my agency to reopen our range and reschedule our RDS qualification course. If it's not one thing, it's another. At least I now have the ability to practice my draw, as part of my dry fire training, so I can work through my full draw, to presentation, and can attempt to fix some minor issues with picking up my dot consistently.

Mike12328

I finally received my Safariland 6365RDS holster, for my M&P 2.0 CORE. As soon as I got home, I tested the fit and function of my new holster. My Streamlight TLR-1 HL, will only fit into the holster, if I tip the gun back, and insert it at an angle. Once the light clears the indent in the kydex, I can straighten the gun out, and it drops right in.

The second issue I have is that it is extremely difficult to release the gun from the holster. The SLS hood drops out of the way just fine, but I have to crank on the ALS release lever, while pulling my gun to the rear, in order to get the ALS to release. I can pull the ALS release lever as far as it will go, and the gun will not come out, without also pulling it back.

My current 7ts holster, and previous 6 series holsters have never required anywhere near this much effort to release my guns from the holster.

I'm hoping someone else might have some insight as to whether this is a common issue, or if there are any solutions, other than sending my holster back to Safariland, and probably having to wait another 3 months for a usable holster.

So I know this is for the M and P but I literally had the exact same problem with my new G17 Gen 5 on the 7360 RDS holster. We were given 4 new ones after a holster screw up between a local distributor and Safariland. I couldn't get the gun out in the exact same manner as you described. I'd have to rock it back and find the sweet spot on the ALS to get it out. I noticed you said you were running the Nub Mod. I also had that on my holster (awesome product BTW) and I heard the same stuff about the issue with the Streamlight TLR-1's. Mine didn't seem to be catching on the light and I'm running the TLR-1 also. I did the "spray it because it's tight" deal and nothing worked. I started breaking down it step by step holstering and re-holstering. I ended up noticing that on my G17, the slide stop release was catching on the way up ever so slightly on the ALS release with the Nub Mod on. Took it off and the holster was fine. So, IDK if this is intentional by Safariland to keep people from using aftermarket accessories on their holsters or what but with the changes on the ALS lever on the new 7Ts (wider) I have my suspicions. Lucky for me, I use the Kagwerks slide release and the Nub Mod doesn't affect it because of how high it is. I'd check and make sure you aren't having the same problem if you haven't already

Mike12328

So I know this is for the M and P but I literally had the exact same problem with my new G17 Gen 5 on the 7360 RDS holster. We were given 4 new ones after a holster screw up between a local distributor and Safariland. I couldn't get the gun out in the exact same manner as you described. I'd have to rock it back and find the sweet spot on the ALS to get it out. I noticed you said you were running the Nub Mod. I also had that on my holster (awesome product BTW) and I heard the same stuff about the issue with the Streamlight TLR-1's. Mine didn't seem to be catching on the light and I'm running the TLR-1 also. I did the "spray it because it's tight" deal and nothing worked. I started breaking down it step by step holstering and re-holstering. I ended up noticing that on my G17, the slide stop release was catching on the way up ever so slightly on the ALS release with the Nub Mod on. Took it off and the holster was fine. So, IDK if this is intentional by Safariland to keep people from using aftermarket accessories on their holsters or what but with the changes on the ALS lever on the new 7Ts (wider) I have my suspicions. Lucky for me, I use the Kagwerks slide release and the Nub Mod doesn't affect it because of how high it is. I'd check and make sure you aren't having the same problem if you haven't already
***originally had the issue with the factory slide stop release***

Joker75

Amateur

I had the ALS issue, before I ever installed the Nub Mod. In fact, I only installed the Nub Mod, temporarily, on my original holster, to see if I had any better luck releasing the pistol, if I had the added leverage of the Nub Mod. Thw Nub Mod does not appear to interfere with the release on the replacement holster, so I hope everything is good to go.