LVPO specific qual

Chuckc45

Hey everyone, my dept’s tac team is starting to run a couple LVPOs in place of Aimpoints, what, if anything are you adding or removing from quals for rifle programs adding magnified optics?
Thanks all
Chuck

pointblank4445

Established
It looks like you aren’t asking for a specific scoped rifle qual content correct? Rather, allowance for integration of just some magnified optics.

If the later and your current qual is decent, then nothing. There should be no special allowance for presence or absence of magnification.

That said, I know many encourage keeping such optic on lowest power and dialing up magnification when needed. Given that, I might consider starting every evolution of the qual with them on 1x or the lowest setting. So if a portion of the qual is benefited by magnification, let them have to crank that mag ring up every time as that’s more likely how it will happen in real time (see that awesome HR shot earlier this year).

Chuckc45

It looks like you aren’t asking for a specific scoped rifle qual content correct? Rather, allowance for integration of just some magnified optics.

If the later and your current qual is decent, then nothing. There should be no special allowance for presence or absence of magnification.

That said, I know many encourage keeping such optic on lowest power and dialing up magnification when needed. Given that, I might consider starting every evolution of the qual with them on 1x or the lowest setting. So if a portion of the qual is benefited by magnification, let them have to crank that mag ring up every time as that’s more likely how it will happen in real time (see that awesome HR shot earlier this year).
I honestly don’t think my admin knows exactly what they want, if you can believe it. My initial reaction was the same as yours, but they are of the opinion that,
1: you we need to find specific training for mid range optic use (not sniper, just not reg patrol either)
2: we must have specific qualifications for the 2 guys using the rifles in question.
It’s good that they care, but man I wish they didn’t feel like we were creating a new gun by putting a 1-6 on there.

shoobe01

Established
I buy #1. A fairly small add on to PR training. Likely 98% shared with magnifiers on RDS assuming that's in your agency also. Just the stuff that IS different like leave-on-1x until mag needed, how to deal with dead dot, policy on using magnification for searching and PID since you are pointing a gun at the citizens, etc.

But #2 seems unnecessary, wasteful and burdensome, (or maybe even counter-productive) as it's just a different solution for the same goal. Do they have different driving quals for the Explorers vs Chargers?

pointblank4445

Established
Admin gonna admin and you have to pick the hills you fight and die on.
I have to constantly remind mine of what a quality is:
Qualification: an administrative test of on demand skill that should be based on realistic circumstances and desired practical performance. It is not training...it is the assessment of training.
@shoobe01 beat me to it. Do they have different qualms for rds pistols? Irons? Etc.

If they want Training

Chuckc45

I’ll definitely share the Reston class with them, here in middle TN we were coming up pretty empty on any good options for specifically what we’re looking for.
And it’s funny you mention the different quals for rds pistols and irons, @shoobe01, as there’s about to be a similar issue with deciding how we want to do that transition later this year. We’ll fight that battle then I reckon.
Thank you all for the reasoning to take back to the wigs next week, I’ll update after that chat!

pointblank4445

Established
I’ll definitely share the Reston class with them, here in middle TN we were coming up pretty empty on any good options for specifically what we’re looking for.
And it’s funny you mention the different quals for rds pistols and irons, @shoobe01, as there’s about to be a similar issue with deciding how we want to do that transition later this year. We’ll fight that battle then I reckon.
Thank you all for the reasoning to take back to the wigs next week, I’ll update after that chat!
Yes definitely, if your brass (or "wigs" as you put it) are moving the bar in relation to kit, something's fucky.

My AAR on Reston/Ridgeline:

While I have not been (but want to go) and if you're in the Western, US, I would look hard at Buck Doyle's class in UT:

I see a lot of similarities and both illustrate what can be done with properly outfitted rifles.

As a tertiary "assessment" of applied, disciplined shooting I'd probably add Chuck's No-Fail rifle as a follow-up to the above.