Luggage with wheels

mammynun

US Air in PHL managed to destroy both the wheels on my 5.11 rolling duffle. Can anyone suggest some bombproof luggage? I'm not really into the pelican hard shell type. My ideal would be nondescript on the outside, but have some PALS on the inside... I found being able to keep my EDC stuff organized in molle pouches was a really good thing.
FWIW, the 5.11 lasted about 4 years of heavy domestic travel, which beats the previous record by quite a bit. I don't have a problem with getting another, but if there's something better...

Tots

Has anyone tried the new Pelican luggage (http://www.pelican.com/luggage/)? I spent a bit of time looking at it at SHOT and it seems well made, but much lighter weight than their traditional cases.
Finally, something on this forum i am qualified to discuss! I have been using pelican luggage for about a year now. I can attest to its sturdiness. As an Airline pilot, I tend to put more wear on luggage than most folks. The Pelican EL22 is highly recommended for a more traditional piece of luggage. It has compartments and a more typical interior but the same Pelican toughness. I had a hard time with the $350 price tag and replaced it with the Pelican Air 1535. I was able to pick it up from Experticity (new Promotive site: thanks PJs!) for under half the cost of the EL22. But - it’s unmistakably a Pelican case and often gets comments. The exterior gets scuffed up pretty easily, but a quick wipe with Armor All on a rag does an amazingly good job of cleaning it up a litte. The main thing I like about these cases, is that the wheels are easily replaceable should you want to. Although, you dont have to as Pelican offers great customer service on repairs and has an amazing warranty. “You break it, we fix it...forever”.

One thing i dont like about these is that Pelican doesn’t seem to offer a military discount. I was able to use a third party to get one on the 1535 but cant find one for the EL series of luggage. Anyone know of a way?