Pascale

Green Ops!
Getting comfortable with being uncomfortable is what GreenOps preaches! Last weekend I attended the Green Ops LPVO class with former special forces Chris Alvarez (lead instructor) assisted by ranger legend Grenada raider Jose Gordon and Michael Green (also former special forces). These instructors have over 100 years (combined) of knowledge in competition and military operations.

- Class Date: 18 December 2021
- Class Name: Low Power Variable Optic (LPVO) - 8 hours
- Demographic: 14 students total (13 male and 1 female), a mixture of civilians, LE and military.
- Weather: Mid 60's - Windy, Cloudy, and Raining.
- Gear & equipment used: Sons of Liberty Rifle M4-76 mounted with the Vortex Razor Eagle 1-10 (just because I have it, but 1-6 would have been acceptable).
- Round count & ammo used: The course advertise for a min of 300 rounds.
- Prerequisite: Defensive Carbine I Class (8hrs) or equivalent carbine training (8-hours or more)

After introductions and safety brief, the course started off with the history of the LPVO, why it was implemented (really good information that most of us were unfamiliar with), the need to use the LPVO, understanding Zeroing, Point of Aim (POI) / Point of Impact (POI), Ballistics, different reticles "MOA/MIL" along with BDC and your Holds.

IMG_1123.JPG
Then we moved to a 50 yards bay to confirm zero. This was fast and only a few adjustment were made (you are expected to have your carbine zeroed prior to attending this class). Then we shot several drills to include shooting on the move, kneeling and prone positions. They also went over reloads but it was fairly quick since everyone should have attended at least 8 hours of carbine training prior to this course.

269867936_3043579012549197_8099058639598088397_n.jpeg

The practical portion of shooting on the move while using the LPVO was really interesting and informative. It was an eye opener on how to engage targets at close range with 4x magnification and seeing what you need to see when you have no time to adjust it.

We later moved to the 500 yards bay. There were several steel targets ranging from 100 yards, 300 yards, 500 yards.

IMG_1213.JPGIMG_6483.JPG

After confirming and "knowing our holds" at those distances, we moved to individual drills using VTAC barricades, and shooting from behind cover, moving to and from cover. Once we got comfortable with it, we moved into 2-man team drills.

IMG_6603.JPG

IMG_6653.JPG

Weather conditions started off bad but that made the training even better because it was a true testament to the instructors' ability to help the students understand point of aim/point of impact and maximizing the AR's ability to hit past 500 yards. The instructor's individual attention to each one of us was above and beyond my expectations.

Despite the high wind, my Sons of Liberty Gun Works M4-76, mounted with Vortex Optic ran flawlessly.

We finished up with final exercise culminating 2-Man Team Live Exercise (MLFX). That course of fire alone was epic! The initial POI had us (the students) run it just one time, but once the students got a taste of it, everyone wanted to do a second run!!

IMG_6710.JPG

We wrapped up the class with an AAR from the instructors and the students. Patches, postcards and stickers were given. Also Magpul pmags with engraved the Green Ops logo were given to 3 students.

IMG_1559.JPG

The instructors told us that they are looking at running this class in a 2-day format and I totally agree with since there's so much information and tons of other drills they discussed, and there's just not enough time to do everything in one day.

As a USPSA competitive shooter and Tactical Games athlete I can say with no doubts The LPVO is the future and if you run one, you should take this class! It was wet, muddy, windy and raining but I'm looking forward to attend this class again and I highly recommend it.

Green Ops Training Schedule listed at: https://www.green-ops.com/schedule-registration

IMG_5155.jpg
(A few students left early, so not everyone was in the group photo)