Low Light Training

Rick4673

Amateur
Not sure if this is the right place, but here goes;

I am not happy with the low light training I have received and am thus able to use/provide. I would appreciate member recommendations for such training. I am looking for white light, both hand held and weapon mounted, for plain clothes LEO's, not full-kit SWAT types, in both operational (clear a house for SW service, vehicle stops, and such) and purely reactive, self-defense roles. I would be interested in a course leading to instructor cert of some sort (helps me get it paid for, if for no other reason). A course which includes some FOF work is a big plus.

Thanks in advance,

Rick

jnc36rcpd

I went through the Surefire Institute low-light instructor course some years ago. It was a pretty intensive course, but not focused strictly on low light. We did a fair amount of daylight work as well as defensive tactics. The two instructors on Surefire website are both LEO's. I suspect the training is more focused on law enforcement than when military special operations veterans were the lead trainers.

I also attended a one day Streamlight class which I thought very useful. Streamlight now farms their training over to Team One network which has some credible instructors.

I read good things about Lights/Sights/Lasers, but have not attended the range portion of their training.

hellion

Amateur
The surefire course has some great info, based on AARs I have seen, however I have not taken it myself. ALERRT has a low light instructor course, based on the surefire tactics (from what I can tell), that is free. It's a difficult one to get into because they don't run it very often. Both courses do involve some FoF, though. Keep in mind the ALERRT course is geared towards active shooter scenarios, but the tactics are applicable in other situations as well.

krax

My understanding is that Craig Douglass's AMIS course has a lot of low-light instruction and FOF scenarios.

There is some low light in AMIS, mostly on Saturday evening. It is not particularly heavy on low light. The class is also based around solo structure movement, so no multi-person time.

When I asked Craig about more low light work, he and a couple other students recommended Ken Good, formerly of Surefire and Strategos.

TXLEO

I have been to the ALERRT instructor class. It is very thorough and they give you good material to take back and teach your people. I highly recommend it. ALERRT is very applicable to all uses not just active shooter, at least this class.