Low-key but awesome gun channels on Youtube

Smith

There's kind of a "genre" of guys I love on Youtube. They have a few things in common.

- Relatively low-profile, not a ton of followers
- Often filmed by a single guy using a cellphone or GoPro
- Videos are often grainy with bad angles and bad audio
- Guy competes in IDPA/USPSA/frequently posts videos of himself doing standard drills with a timer
- Very impressive gun-handling (you can just tell he knows his way around the pistol)
- It's not monetized or to meant impress anybody, it's just a guy shooting and sharing his tips & tricks

I love these guys because I know I'm not being sold a bill of goods. And I can tell by the way the gun moves (or doesn't) under recoil that these guys are high-level, or at least which level they're at. The speeds on drills they post, with timer shown. What's amazing to me is how fast and accurate just your average local "good" USPSA/IDPA competitor can be. Ok, I get it, the champions like Vogel and Stoeger are insanely good. But even the local M and GM are CRAZY good. Watching them shoot is like watching art. And it's way more relatable and inspirational for me if they're not a world champion, just some dude.

Do you guys know any channels like this? When I find them, I often times immediately watch all their videos because there are so many small details and tips in there that aren't being overshadowed by exploding .50 BMG rounds and drone footage. Just a guy sharing a training tip.

Not sure if I'm allowed to post Youtube links here, but some of my favorites:

Guy EDC: just a guy who loves to shoot. Shares his journey, videos of himself doing drills, updates on his pistols, his EDC loadout, etc. I like that he's not super GM high-level, but clearly ahead of me, so it feels like watching future me. Many of his tips and drills aren't "over my head," I immediately get it.

Matt Swanson: hasn't posted in a bit, but has tons of USPSA videos or just videos of himself shooting various drills and guns. He's fun because he shoots like a robot, the gun doesn't move at all, and he always tries different variations. E.g. he'll do El Prez the IDPA way, the USPSA way, or the "full send" way and compare. Or he'll do a drill using his old USP .45 service pistol. Shoot the same drill irons vs. red dot. Stuff like that. Also great advice on how to practice.

Applied Performance: this guy's funny as hell, shoots like a robot (gun doesn't move at all under recoil), and he swears a lot, which makes me laugh. Great tips for newer shooters and he loves to get deep into various topics, like the wrist angle in the support hand grip. Is the Vogel style the best? Are others better? Is it subjective? Let's find out, he tries them all. He also rants a lot and, to be honest, I just love rants. Some of my favorite P&S content is "old-man rants" like the one about the world coming to an end a few months ago ;)

Barry B

I primarily watch Active Self Protection, both channels. I watch Paul Harrel, but not all of his videos. I pick and choose. ASP I like for the reviews of what was done well, not so well, and the opinions.

-B

Barry B

Ugh. Damn time limit on edits…

Also watch some of Fieldcraft Survival, as I think he covers solid tactics, guidance, etc.

Smith

I like ASP as well. Especially badge cam videos. Makes me respect cops a lot more, some of these situations are just insane. I wouldn't want to do that job.

Smith

So I've been watching more Applied Performance Shooting, and this guy is just freaking awesome. He explains many concepts super well, and he also does a ton of research and then just presents it to you. E.g. comparing the different grip styles used by famous competition shooters, with demos and saying why one might or might not want to use them. Or the different options with which one might deal with cross-eye dominance.

I e probably watched all the usual guntubers I er the years.

Grew out of nutnfancy a metric long ass time ago.
Same with hickok, I don't really watch reviewers anymore because I got sick of seeing the same gun by 15 different people.

That shit with Mac saying the NRA was trying to mob Minecraft him was the end for me and 99% of leviathan group.

Anymore it's just brass facts and hop with some Brandon mixed in.

Kentucky is just wholesome like how Matt used to be before it was annoying.

Otherwise I watch lotus eaters, razor fist, zip ties and bias plies type stuff.

Used to watch sage dynamics a lot until he was just a reviewer and went pay to watch only.

C_does and war hippie are cool folks for scopes and gear ideas.

Edit

Arizona ghost riders replaced that degenerate Karl about old west history for me.

Anymore id rather just go to the range and get some lead therapy.

Oh every now and then I check out what Cokeman is doing.