Looking to build a PC, don't know what I don't know

Sunshine_Shooter

Established
I'm looking to put together a machine to do 3D CAD work (for work), maybe some light video editing. I don't know much at all about PC building in 2019, so I did what anyone would do: Googled something. I came across this page and found the following list:

PC Build List.PNG

Is this a legit setup? Are there some incompatibilities here that I need to be aware of? Is there a place where I can go to learn what I don't know that I don't know?

Nowski

PC’s are like guns, what is the mission? Once you and we know what this is going to be for then parts can be sourced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nomad1

PC’s are like guns, what is the mission? Once you and we know what this is going to be for then parts can be sourced.

as he stated.... "3D CAD work (for work), maybe some light video editing".

that set-up seems decent for you you say you will be doing with it, depending on your monitor(s) that you're using, if you need higher resolution (higher than 1080p) make sure your graphics card can handle it. as Nowski said, PCs are like guns, you can change individual parts if you find something isn't performing to your standard, or if you want to do more with it in the future. also, not sure what website you found that computer on, but it may be cheaper to buy the components individually and assemble it yourself. this may sound like a daunting task, but assembling computers has become very simple in the past 5/10 years. if you can assemble and modify an AR, there's no reason you can't do the same on a PC.

if you have any other questions, feel free to hit me up

Nowski

Sorry I didn’t see that while reading. I always suggest using pcpartpicker.com it will allow you to see each piece you want find the best places to buy and most of all tell you of any compatibility issues.

jeremy_p

Amateur
I've been a custom machine amd tooling engineer for 16 years using Inventor and Solidworks. I have never seen home built systems or ones bought by online builders works well, in fact I started a new job a few weeks ago and I'm on a system built by people who do gaming computers and it's junk. Do yourself a favor and get a Dell Precision workstation or laptop or the HP equivalent. They already have done the hard work of making sure hardware and software all jive together and have customer service and warrenties. Looking at what you posted, the money you save at the initial purpose will be eaten quickly by inefficiency and downtime. Make sure you get and Nvidia Quadro graphics card, 32gb ram, 6 core processor, 64 bit system and only use SSD hardrives. Dell has all of that standard or options in the Precision line and in the years I've been running them I've never had a problem. Last time I had a problem was when Windows rolled out 10 and the change over for that, it was disastrous.

NEC_0170

Amateur
CAD is memory/cpu/gpu intensive. Decide first the software application that you will use and then visit their website - most CAD software developers list minimum hardware and recommended hardware to support their applications.

Sunshine_Shooter

Established
CAD is memory/cpu/gpu intensive. Decide first the software application that you will use and then visit their website - most CAD software developers list minimum hardware and recommended hardware to support their applications.
I hit up Solidworks' website and they had some very low requirements. So low, that I don't trust such a setup to run at any speed above 'molasses-esque'.

Stiltd683

It all depends on what you are doing. If you are using complex geometry, larger assemblies, motion, FEA, etc then the minimum recommended hardware from Solidworks won't cut it. If you are doing smaller scale design then the entry options work fine.