Looking for LVPO Recommendations: Nightforce NX8 or Vortex Razor Gen II-E?

cthomas791

I owned an NX8, and while I dont own a Razor Gen II E I played around with one and have a Steiner P4Xi which I've heard some people say is basically a 1-4 Razor.

I sold the NX8 because the eyebox wasn't great on 1x and was almost useless unless the rifle was completely stabilized on 8x, if i was in any awkward position the 8x seemed useless. The Steiner seems like a red dot that you can zoom in with as far as usage goes, with a generous eyebox at both 1x and 4x. The Razor is the same from the limited use I had with it.

I would take the Razor in a heartbeat over the NX8, and I would take a Kahles K16i over that.
Although I don’t have time behind the Razor - I absolutely agree with your summary of the NX-8. I’m now more satisfied with the P4Xi than I was with either of the 2 NX-8’s I had...

pointblank4445

Established
The NX8 is the Dodge Caravan/minivan of the LPVO optics world. It's really the only option of its size/price/magnification range/features but it shouldn't be anyone's first choice...that's how they get ya.

I was able to swap my 2.5-10 for an NX8. It works well enough for its assigned task; shooting 75gr Gold Dot out of an FN barrel. It will not break my heart when I have to turn it back over to the dept.

JLL2013

I have two of the older 2.5-10x24mm models. The idea of throwing a micro red dot at 12 o'clock with one instead of using a LPVO has come to mind a lot recently. The 2nd focal plane gives me a bit of pause as I'd rather default it to 4x or so.

The NX8 is the Dodge Caravan/minivan of the LPVO optics world. It's really the only option of its size/price/magnification range/features but it shouldn't be anyone's first choice...that's how they get ya.

I was able to swap my 2.5-10 for an NX8. It works well enough for its assigned task; shooting 75gr Gold Dot out of an FN barrel. It will not break my heart when I have to turn it back over to the dept.

pointblank4445

Established
I have two of the older 2.5-10x24mm models. The idea of throwing a micro red dot at 12 o'clock with one instead of using a LPVO has come to mind a lot recently. The 2nd focal plane gives me a bit of pause as I'd rather default it to 4x or so.

This was a x32, I've had a few x24 and a x42. The x42mm is the only one I'd bother with and I feel it's a bit over-priced for what it is.

Unobtanium

Optics are very personal. I prefer the nx8 to the k16i's ive used by a large margin in every way except palate, and I prefer the warmer hues of the k16i to the nx8, but have to give glass preference overall on 6x and up to the leupold mk6, even with its 20mm obj. On 1x, nx8 all day long. Still others may feel opposite. This is part of why Ford and Chevrolet both successfully sell trucks.