Looking for LVPO Recommendations: Nightforce NX8 or Vortex Razor Gen II-E?

Jordan G.

Hello folks!

Looking for some recommendations on either the Nightforce NX8 or Vortex Razor Gen II-E?

I’m upgrading from my Trijicon AccuPower 1-4 to either a Nightforce or Vortex with more optic power.

All of my rifles are 14.5s and looking to use an optic on close range 50 yards and in up to 300 yards.

Any input is appreciated!

Cadonny

I owned an NX8, and while I dont own a Razor Gen II E I played around with one and have a Steiner P4Xi which I've heard some people say is basically a 1-4 Razor.

I sold the NX8 because the eyebox wasn't great on 1x and was almost useless unless the rifle was completely stabilized on 8x, if i was in any awkward position the 8x seemed useless. The Steiner seems like a red dot that you can zoom in with as far as usage goes, with a generous eyebox at both 1x and 4x. The Razor is the same from the limited use I had with it.

I would take the Razor in a heartbeat over the NX8, and I would take a Kahles K16i over that.

I sold the NX8 because the eyebox wasn't great on 1x and was almost useless unless the rifle was completely stabilized on 8x, if i was in any awkward position the 8x seemed useless.

I’ve been playing with the nx8 for the last couple weeks and Candonny is pretty accurate here. I have zero experience with the razor so I won’t go there.

Nightforce hit the ball out of the park when it comes to size and weight. Also the battery life is pretty dam good. I’ve had it set on 8 for the last week and the reticle is still daylight bright. ( albeit dimmer than a fresh battery)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jordan G.

0-300 3gun or patrol use go with Vortex. An extended range heavy gas gun or semi precision gun then go NX8.

There is also an article up on the website that deep dives that choice and why.
0-300 3gun or patrol use go with Vortex. An extended range heavy gas gun or semi precision gun then go NX8.

There is also an article up on the website that deep dives that choice and why.

Thank you Mike_IA!

Jordan G.

I’ve been playing with the nx8 for the last couple weeks and Candonny is pretty accurate here. I have zero experience with the razor so I won’t go there.

Nightforce hit the ball out of the park when it comes to size and weight. Also the battery life is pretty dam good. I’ve had it set on 8 for the last week and the reticle is still daylight bright. ( albeit dimmer than a fresh battery)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you BassFlats&Beyond!

BooneGA

Staff member
WARLORD
I own both optics. For 50-300 the only choice is the Razor. It completely out classes the NX8 in anything other than a SDM/quasi-precision role. I had originally purchased it with the intent of it replacing the Razor, however it is a completely different optic best suited for longer range applications. The size and weight are incredible, but with that come sacrifices that make it less than ideal for high performance at closer ranges.

Rick

Jordan G.

I own both optics. For 50-300 the only choice is the Razor. It completely out classes the NX8 in anything other than a SDM/quasi-precision role. I had originally purchased it with the intent of it replacing the Razor, however it is a completely different optic best suited for longer range applications. The size and weight are incredible, but with that come sacrifices that make it less than ideal for high performance at closer ranges.

Rick

Thank you for your insight!

BooneGA

Staff member
WARLORD
Would you elaborate on why it outclasses it and are you talking NX8 or NX8 ATACR?

The Razor is best employed as a RDS replacement that can also add magnification as needed. The NX8 is a precision optic that can be turned down to 1x if required. Both are at home in the intended roles, but compromise performance at the opposite end. Choose accordingly.

Rick

Pat Tarrant

Custom testicles
Staff member
If you are in that budget neighborhood, take a look at the Kahles K16i also. As light as the NX8, better field of view and glass (in my opinion) than either, better eye box, have had great service when I messed up my caps.

You may be better served by one of your original choices depending on budget and specific needs, but the Kahles is probably be best do-all LVPO currently available.

Unobtanium

As a datapoint, my NX8 arrived a few months ago. It is now my favorite LPVO that I have owned, to include:

Several K16i's
-VCOG
-MK6
-NXS 1-4
-Strike Eagle 1-6 (used as gifts/stocking stuffers)