Looking for input on medical pack

If this is the wrong place or I've missed something obvious please let me know as I don't post often (in fact this may be my first post I'm not sure).

I work in armed security on a federal contract. We aren't issued and are allowed to carry tourniquets (though I run a rat through my belt anyway as even with its short falls it's better than nothing). As I work a static post I am considering putting together a pack to stash on the post with what I see as necessary life saving equipment. Aside from me there is one other officer so I was thinking:

2 Tourniquets (SOFTT is what I'm familiar with and use on my training rig)

2 Clotting agent (I'm open to input on how many)

2 Rolls of gauze

2 pressure dressings

2 chest seals

2 pairs of gloves

Is there anything else I should be adding? Realistically medical is probably 10 to 15 minutes out during an incident. Both of us have basic training for medical including application of tourniquets and how to apply the above equipment. Neither of us are trained for chest decompression and that's why I left the MOJO dart off (maybe that means I should dump the chest seals to?)

Additionally while we are static we both know that should an active shooter or other threat enter the facility we will be going to work and moving and as such I'd like to find a bag for this that can be easily carried and not interfere with duty gear (all belt mounted cuffs, gun, OC, baton, radio etc.). As with anything the government fails to provide this will be out of pocket so keeping the cost down is a concern but obviously for medical I don't want to cut corners either.

Anyway any advice you guys can offer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

How many other people in/around the facility? Is there a "squad-level" kit nearby with additional supplies? Personally, even if you're focused on yourself and your partner, I would double the TQ to 4 and bump to the SOFTT-W. Clotting agents are outside of my knowledge base, beyond the fact that my Civ Dark Angel Kit has QuikClot Combat Gauze. I'd add a small pair of shears as well, or a small folding knife.

This is just my opinion. I run the DARK kit, but I also have an additional larger kit that stores backups, Gauze, elastic bandages, tape, etc.

GTF425

As recommended, bump up the number of TQs and have at least that many pressure dressings. I like the OLAES due to having a built in z-fold gauze and a simpler pressure pad compared to the Israeli.

I'd recommend carrying at least one TQ on person and keep it set up for self aid. CATs are the standard and work well in shoulder or ankle pockets with the red tab exposed. Whatever route you go for a TQ carried on person, insure that every one has them set up in the same configuration and worn in the same place. Common sense, but just wanted to mention it in case anyone wants to feel special and try to carry their TQ somewhere else.

Combat Gauze is great. It works. Have 1 for every 2 pressure dressings.

Chest seals are great to keep on hand, because they can do more than just seal a gunshot to the chest. They're handy to slap on abdominal wounds as well as penetrating trauma to the neck to prevent an air embolism in the event a blood vessel was damaged. Also, add a roll of medical tape to the kit. You can do a TON with it...God knows I use it every shift for everything from securing King airways to securing INTs. It also turns any piece of plastic into an occlusive dressing should you not have commercial dressings available.

Needle decompression is, as stated, out of your scope. Focus on bleeding control and basic airway management (it's amazing how well the recovery position works).

Add a decent pair of shears. It helps to be able to fully expose a wound. During care under fire, you're gonna be limited to what's essentially nothing more than TQs, dragging to cover, or self-aid. But once you're out of contact, you can really get focused and being able to cut clothes off is essential to a solid focused assessment.

A great, cheap bag/pouch for this would be one of those MOLLE II waist packs. Like this:

https://ads.midwayusa DOT com/product/349458/military-surplus-molle-ii-waist-pack?cm_mmc=pf_ci_bing-_-Military%20Surplus%20-%20Gear-_-Military%20Surplus-_-349458

GhostGK

Just my thoughts on initial posting....As stated above I too am a fan of the Oleas bandage from TacMed solutions. The use of SOFTT tourniquets are advised as their windlas is bombproof. CAT TQs can be damaged by UV Ray's from prolonged exposure. It's an issue witnessed on 2 occasions..dudes had gen6 tq's exposed to direct sunlight on their PC for way too long..(over a year) This issue was addressed on the Gen7 CATs with beefier windlasses. -Don't ditch the chest seals unless directly goes against regs and you must. Same with chest darts..for use by certified/trained personnel on scene w/o supplies. Just my thoughts..good bad or otherwise.

Andrew D. Fisher

Medical Guy
Staff member
CAT failures are by far user error, furthermore, SOFTTs also have failures. Opinions and anecdotes of CAT failures are not a representation of CATs overall performance in combat and in the US. Both the CAT and SOFTT are quality TQs that are recommended within this group.

TacMed

Amateur
As recommended, bump up the number of TQs and have at least that many pressure dressings. I like the OLAES due to having a built in z-fold gauze and a simpler pressure pad compared to the Israeli.

Agreed. This is my truck trauma pack - https://www.tacmedsolutions.com/TacMed-Patrol-Aid-Bag (not affiliated, despite my screen name ;))- I have half a dozen TQs, Izzys and Quikclot, along with chest seals, SAMs, tape, shears and other small ancillary items. I consider this a mid level MCI kit. I have one with twice as much in a Pygmy Falcon in my office for use as an active threat pack. It has all of the above plus more, including smoke pouches with an Izzy and Kerlix in each that I can throw to people to use on anyone I/we haven't gotten to triage yet.

Decide what the largest number of casualties you're likely to encounter before the cavalry shows up, and double the amount of supplies need for that many people. Two is one, one is none.