Looking For Help With EDC Consistency

SamR

Hello,

Question:
My question to the group is this: I work a hands on job and I have struggled with consistently carrying and finding comfortable ways to carry that provide full concealment. I am have spent some time recently listening through the P&S podcasts and have come to realize that I really need to change things up and make my families security and my personal security a priority. I am looking for creative ways to do this.

Background:
I have had my ccp for 6 years and have actively and inactively carried a pistol during that time to some degree or another. I do train with a pistol (not as much as I should and I will be working on that) and feel semi confident in my ability in a short range confrontation. I currently own a G23 (need to change out for G19 still), a G43, and a LCP. I started out carrying the G23 as much as possible, but found it killed my back when carried at the 3-4 oclock position. I currently run the 23 with a U-Boat in a Xfer holster. The LCP I carried at work for a while in a an ankle holster, but found it cut holes in all my socks so I had abandoned that form of carry. My current go-to outside of work is my G43 in a remora holster which is fairly comfortable.

My biggest concern currently is finding an option that will allow me to carry daily and be consistent with it. Work or pleasure. I would like it to involve my g23/19 with light, but I am not sure I can find a way to pull it off at work. For my work I am doing inspections in customers homes with them looking over my back and reaching into odd places (ie printing heavily when gun is carried at the 3-4 oclock position. In addition I drive many hundreds of miles a week for work so semi comfort while driving is important as well. I have considered off body carry, but I am not a big fan of it tbh.

I tried appendix carry once, really didn't like it... Maybe I missed something...

At the end of the day I realize that for good security sacrifices in comfort need to be made, but I am honestly not sure how I get there.

Thanks in advance.

Gypsy EDC

Hello,

Question:
My question to the group is this: I work a hands on job and I have struggled with consistently carrying and finding comfortable ways to carry that provide full concealment. I am have spent some time recently listening through the P&S podcasts and have come to realize that I really need to change things up and make my families security and my personal security a priority. I am looking for creative ways to do this.

Background:
I have had my ccp for 6 years and have actively and inactively carried a pistol during that time to some degree or another. I do train with a pistol (not as much as I should and I will be working on that) and feel semi confident in my ability in a short range confrontation. I currently own a G23 (need to change out for G19 still), a G43, and a LCP. I started out carrying the G23 as much as possible, but found it killed my back when carried at the 3-4 oclock position. I currently run the 23 with a U-Boat in a Xfer holster. The LCP I carried at work for a while in a an ankle holster, but found it cut holes in all my socks so I had abandoned that form of carry. My current go-to outside of work is my G43 in a remora holster which is fairly comfortable.

My biggest concern currently is finding an option that will allow me to carry daily and be consistent with it. Work or pleasure. I would like it to involve my g23/19 with light, but I am not sure I can find a way to pull it off at work. For my work I am doing inspections in customers homes with them looking over my back and reaching into odd places (ie printing heavily when gun is carried at the 3-4 oclock position. In addition I drive many hundreds of miles a week for work so semi comfort while driving is important as well. I have considered off body carry, but I am not a big fan of it tbh.

I tried appendix carry once, really didn't like it... Maybe I missed something...

At the end of the day I realize that for good security sacrifices in comfort need to be made, but I am honestly not sure how I get there.

Thanks in advance.

Gypsy EDC bones holster is what you seek.
Sure I'm a "bit" biased www.gypsyedc.com
IMG_20180618_225557_088.jpgIMG_20180707_192525_489.jpg
Screenshot_2018-07-12-14-19-05_crop_576x576.jpgScreenshot_2018-07-12-14-18-49_crop_690x657.jpg

Sunshine_Shooter

Established
I tried appendix carry once, really didn't like it... Maybe I missed something....

You did. Appendix allows me to carry a full size M&P (bigger than you G23) with a light, every single day and I have little to no printing. I personally carry a little more centerline than normal, closer to noon than 1 o'clock. I sit at a desk all day and find it to be very comfortable, your driving will not be an issue. You may have to adjust it for a few days until you find where it likes to ride, but once you do it's the end-all, be-all.

The key is to get a holster made for appendix carrying. I tried with a normal IWB rig in the beginning and it was a non-starter. I hope this helps, feel free to ask any questions.

@Gypsy EDC The Bones holster you produce doesn't look like it accommodates a light, something OP seemed to require. Do you produce a light-bearing solution too?

SamR

Thanks for the info Gypse, Looking for a light bearing rig.

You did. Appendix allows me to carry a full size M&P (bigger than you G23) with a light, every single day and I have little to no printing.

Sunshine, do you have a appendix rig of choice? Also, what body type are you? I am not fat, but I do have a belly, will that interfere?

WAVandal

SamR, I made the switch over to AIWB about 6 months ago. I had a similar back issue (played football for 10 years, had back surgery at 22 because of it) when carrying at a typical IWB at 3:30.I was running a G19, then a G43. If I don't wear really baggy clothes with carrying at or behind the hip, my body type causes me to print badly. I started trying AIWB with a Blade-Tech Klipt and hated it because the Klipt is a semi-generic do most things holster, went back to 3:30 carry with my JM Custom gear. I eventually got off my ass and bought an actual AIWB holster and have been running a RCS Eidolon for about 3 months now. It took me from running my G43 and a reload to my G19 and a reload. I'm now looking to run a G19 with X300U as a AIWB carry.

I'm in ok shape, little bit of a stomach sticking out but I can AIWB with ease. I'll leave the holster recommendations to those who have been doing this longer than I.

Yondering

I'd suggest removing the light and carring your 19 or 23 AIWB in something like a BladeTech Nano.

It sounds like you have the same issues with carrying as a lot of people. The biggest hurdle is mindset, and deciding that being comfortable is not the most important aspect about where/how/when you carry. Personally I carry because I have a responsibility to protect my family, and by extension myself, and obviously that's much higher priority than being comfortable. To that end, things like speed of draw, active retention, and concealment point to AIWB carry for me, even though it's slightly less comfortable than some other methods.

With that said, if you use the right holster you can get used to AIWB carry and become pretty comfortable with it. One important tip is to not carry the pistol too low in your waistband, that makes it easier to conceal but is slower to access and less comfortable, as it tends to dig into the leg/groin area more.

Ryan St.Jean

If the goal is consistency I would say get a decent Appendix specific holster for your G43. Pair that with a belt designed to carry a gun and you should be good. I’m not saying the G23 with a light is undoable but if your goal is consistency get in the groove of regularly carrying with the G43 for a bit first.

Appendix carry takes some getting used to. Not so much because it is truly uncomfortable but because it is very different.

SamR

Thank you all for your input. I think I will look into the AIWB carry more directly. Anyone have a must have holster preference? I have done a lot of research on them in the past but never seemed to have one holster that jumped out at me.

Kain

OP I think I went through a similar issue as you are facing a couple months back. I have been carrying a 19 for 2.5 years steady, but was carrying 3-4 with all the downsides that carrying that way entails. A couple months back my back was giving me such pain that after shooting a competition and going to put my gun back on i grabbed it and decided general opinion of carry be damned I had to get it off my back, as it were and shoved my 19, a Bladetech Nano, oddly enough already mentioned, and have basically been carrying AIWB since. Now, I did modify the holster a bit to make it more comfortable, currently pulled one of the straps off of it, and set it to rid one notch higher and that does make a difference, no doubt. And there are definate pros to AIWB that I have found, cons too, but coming from a general strong side carry I can see the appeal for AIWB.

Now, that said, I am not running a weapon light, I do EDC a Surefire L4, probably going to upgrade to one of the new EDC models, basically because I want more lumens. For GP a handheld works, though if the micro carry lights come up to spec I may look into one of them, or I may just decide that I need another Uboat and just say to hell with it.

As far carrying more consistently. I am not sure that I can help you. I subscribe to the gun being more comforting than comfortable mindset. I think that was from Clint Smith, but could be wrong. Point being, I am not looking for a gun that I forget I am carrying on me. Nor, do I believe that is what I want because to go smaller means I lose capability, be it in capacity, but more likely in shootability and ability to make hits at distance, and to another extent reliability. Yes, a little Ruger or Keltec or whoever pocket 9mm might be easy to carry but their general relaiable functino doesn't give me warm and fuzzies. And while some will argue the point that you likely will never need the gun, I'm already prepping for a small percentage occurrence, why not double down on small percentage chances? So in that regards it is something that each has to choose for themselves.

Abuchanan

Amateur
I mostly Lurk, but I strongly disagree with some of the things im reading in this thread, so let me purge.
First off, you're in the right place mentally. You're to that place now where you now care more about molding your lifestyle around carrying your firearm, rather than molding the carrying of your firearm around your lifestyle. Which is good, good for you. I'm happy to see P&S did that for you, thats why I love this group. I would suggest you wait for good recommendations on gear before taking the word of Joe Regulars recommending Bladetechs (they were the tits in 2010, just not anymore) and homemade rigs and similar, no offense to those dudes when they read this. I was that guy for years, with the amount of money I spent in sub-par gear over the years I could be on some foreign beach right now.
Secondly, NO, AIWB is not the end all be all, "there is a season and a time for all things", for me it is, but for you it might not be. To do AIWB right, you need good solid gear. A dedicated AIWB rig (plenty of legit offerings), a sturdy belt (just buy an ares gear), a good cover garment, the right pair of pants/shorts (thin, weak summer cargos don't conceal as well for me as a sturdy pair of jeans, same with slacks) are all crucial. I am 5'11" 195lbs and I carry a 19/x300/rmr in a CNC Keroman on an ares aegis enhanced every single day with no issue in concealment since, well ever. You can too.
As for comfort, with a sturdy belt, a claw/wedge (the Jm wedge changed my life) on your holster you'll be fine. I regularly carry for 8-10 hours every day, and the longest i've had my gun on without taking it off was about 15 hours and with the wedge on the back and moleskin around the bottom of the holster I had no discomfort or digging.
As for concealment around customers, as long as your not laying on your back with your hands straight out above your head, you'll have no issue. Crouching/kneeling/laying on your belly/even hugging aren't an issue.

I would suggest you pick up an AIWB rig for a 19/23 light bearing from either Phlster/CNC/Bawadimann/RCS etc( i would suggest one with a removable claw so you can run an RCS claw if it doesn't already have one). I even have a AIWB veil solutions for an STI that conceals super nicely with a wedge and an RCS claw. Snatch up an Ares gear enhanced belt, and go to macy's with your wife and pick out a couple pair of pants a half size bigger and a few button downs a size bigger made out of stronger stiffer material and go to the fitting room and see how they work for you.

My biggest suggestion is find a Gunfighting from Concealment class with Matt Jacques (Victory First) and take it, its a fantastic class for anyone wanting to carry concealed, and he has plenty of different options of holsters/belts for students to try out. You'll get a ton of reps from concealment and find out what REALLY works and what doesn't.

MojoNixon

Established
Thank you all for your input. I think I will look into the AIWB carry more directly. Anyone have a must have holster preference? I have done a lot of research on them in the past but never seemed to have one holster that jumped out at me.
For something small like the G43 take a look at the Raven Morrigan.

Ryan St.Jean

OP I think I went through a similar issue as you are facing a couple months back. I have been carrying a 19 for 2.5 years steady, but was carrying 3-4 with all the downsides that carrying that way entails. A couple months back my back was giving me such pain that after shooting a competition and going to put my gun back on i grabbed it and decided general opinion of carry be damned I had to get it off my back, as it were and shoved my 19, a Bladetech Nano, oddly enough already mentioned, and have basically been carrying AIWB since. Now, I did modify the holster a bit to make it more comfortable, currently pulled one of the straps off of it, and set it to rid one notch higher and that does make a difference, no doubt. And there are definate pros to AIWB that I have found, cons too, but coming from a general strong side carry I can see the appeal for AIWB.

Now, that said, I am not running a weapon light, I do EDC a Surefire L4, probably going to upgrade to one of the new EDC models, basically because I want more lumens. For GP a handheld works, though if the micro carry lights come up to spec I may look into one of them, or I may just decide that I need another Uboat and just say to hell with it.

As far carrying more consistently. I am not sure that I can help you. I subscribe to the gun being more comforting than comfortable mindset. I think that was from Clint Smith, but could be wrong. Point being, I am not looking for a gun that I forget I am carrying on me. Nor, do I believe that is what I want because to go smaller means I lose capability, be it in capacity, but more likely in shootability and ability to make hits at distance, and to another extent reliability. Yes, a little Ruger or Keltec or whoever pocket 9mm might be easy to carry but their general relaiable functino doesn't give me warm and fuzzies. And while some will argue the point that you likely will never need the gun, I'm already prepping for a small percentage occurrence, why not double down on small percentage chances? So in that regards it is something that each has to choose for themselves.

That Clint Smith quote is good. The significant caveat is ‘if you will consistently carry it.’

A full sized whatever that gets left in the glove box or nightstand doesn’t do any good.

I once heard the anecdote that “If anyone says they carry a full sized 1911 ask to see it right now. Almost inevitably they won’t have it on them.” I ran it as an experiment for a few years and found it to be true. Of course there are exceptions but the trend is clear in my experience.

Personally I would rather see someone consistently carry a smaller gun than not consistently carry a bigger gun.

Sunshine_Shooter

Established
Sunshine, do you have a appendix rig of choice? Also, what body type are you? I am not fat, but I do have a belly, will that interfere?

Body type: I could loose some weight. I'm 6', 205, and plenty squishy. I run a T-Rex Arms appendix holster, but am actively looking for a new holster (mine is cracked in places it shouldn't, and I'm looking to switch lights). If you're 'not fat but have a belly', then you're in better shape than me. It won't keep you from concealing, especially with all the foam wedges and belt claws they make these days.

SamR

Thanks for all the advice guys. Will continue to dig into the realm of holsters!

Question on AIWB carry, we sitting in a sitting position, does the gun sit vertically (up and down with your torso) or does it sit horizontally (parallel with your legs)?

Sunshine_Shooter

Established
Thanks for all the advice guys. Will continue to dig into the realm of holsters!

Question on AIWB carry, we sitting in a sitting position, does the gun sit vertically (up and down with your torso) or does it sit horizontally (parallel with your legs)?
Vertical. When I carry it too low, it tries to slide into a horizontal position and that's when it starts to dig in and get uncomfortable. Wearing it higher keeps it vertical and comfortable.

Holsters. Holsters. Holsters. I mostly run G-Codes. Not everyone likes them. I liked the Alien Gear's, but I'm not "round enough" for all of the comfortable and available real estate. I like Bravo Concealment alright, but it doesn't feel durable, I guess would be the best way to describe it. The BCs also fight tighter than the G-Codes, which is a good thing.

Then it's belts. I keep hearing wonderful things about the Alonso Defense Group Emissary. I currently run a dual sided 5.11, though. Simply, but will wear and become flexible over time.

Body type is the first ruling factor, in my mind. Then, the handgun layout. Running a light means less holster options, which means I'd spend a lot of time hoping the stars aligned in the holster and belt for my body type.

Basically, what I'll tell you. If you aren't on a budget, try a little bit of all that's been recommended. Run all the variations that you can with them and see what fits best. That's how I figure out what will work for me.