Looking for Help with a Post Surgery Recovery/Workout Plan

Joey

14 Apr I had a 2 level fusion @ L4/5 & L5/S1 where they removed 2 failed coflex interlaminar devices & replaced them with the traditional rods/screws/cage & bone graft's. I had complications (possible CSF leak & hospital acquired pneumonia) & spent 4 days in a VA hospital & was transferred to the level 1 hospital where the surgery was done as the VA could not manage my problems, I was to complex for them & thank God they transferred me.

I gained a lot of weight going from a active job working as a ER tech to pushing papers at the VA & then quit the job at the VA due to stress, bullshit pissing me off and wanting to fully recover & do it right this time as it's surgery #3 on the same exact spot.

Problem, I'm a fat ass and need to lose weight, am trying to push away from table sooner, eating healthier/smarter/better & have not had a sodey pop since I quit working & stress level/BP has been slowly dropping. My lungs are also screwed in part due to GW#1, asthma and picking up TB in the PI, Korea or Saudi and am hauling around a E tank on 2lpm & it goes up with activity.

Question, what can I do physically to help loose weight and recover, Dr said behave and don't overdo it/push to hard & otherwise have at it, but no physical therapy yet & no bending/twisting/turning.
So I've been walking, getting out of the house and doing shit, walking & pushing that walking thing. Had a 4 wheeled walker, only need that when really tired/exhausted/week or hurting like a bitch.

So, any ideas on how to proceed building core muscles, improving the lungs, dumping weight and healing without screwing things up?

First anyone here and not a medical professional recommending training of a post back surgery patient is WAY outside their scope of practice. If you're not allowed physical therapy yet, then you don't need anyone's advice on here that isn't a licensed professional period. I mean you did mention wanting to do it right and fully recover, that requires professional advice, not Internet wisdom of grandeur, yes? Find a legit professional in your area, out of pocket a few hundred dollars is worth the additional years of quality life you may gain from a true professional of their craft.

BUT to get you going in the right direction, focus on nutrition. Nows the opportunity to shift your focus while accelerating recovery. Precision Nutrition has plenty of information and even those specific to nutrition for injuries (would include surgery recovery).

Start there, find a high quality local professional and you'll be back up faster than jumping into some workout posted on YouTube by a 22 year old. Shoot me your zip code and I can give you some recommendations for practitioners in your area.

Joey

PM sent.

Also looking for motavional shit, something to help keep the mind occupied. Sitting at home alone unable to do anything really sucks and starts a downward spiral I'm strugelling to avoid.

Cold weather makes shit hurt much worse, it's snowing here now, cold and icy last night, snowing all weekend, it's winter as normal in Wyoming, nothing strange or unexpected... But trying to fight off those demons by pushing it to the mall and making a lap or 2 helps keep them locked up.

I've got to keep busy somehow....can't hit the range for recoil therapy & can't even drive yet due to pain meds.....

Once staples come out and I'm cleared am pushing for aqua therapy in a nice warm pool.

Bulldog

I am 5 months out from my third surgery (all 3 within an 18 month window) on the exact same area of the spine. While everyone's journey is different I generally know how hard it is to deal with this sort of thing...

In my experience this is one time you don't want to push the recovery on....that is probably why I had to have the third surgery. Follow your doctor's orders exactly and in my experience your odds of success seem to go way up. Get a registered dietician to review your diet and give you a plan to help meet your goals.

Since you likely have a lot of free time right now...write actual letters to friends or family you haven't talked to in a long time....you will likely be surprised how many write back...its a great way to keep your mental energy up....I sent a lot of time with Rosetta Stone working on a foreign language...its a great skill to have and at least for me I felt like I was accomplishing something everyday. My doc let me use my gripmaster starting about 1 week after the surgery....its a great way to keep up hand strength for shooting...so ask your doc if you can do that. After about the first 5 days I put myself on a schedule everyday, with the only exception being that I could sleep as much as I felt like....that way I had something accomplished by the end of everyday. Good luck and stay tough...its damn hard to get through but it is possible.

PT_Doc

First anyone here and not a medical professional recommending training of a post back surgery patient is WAY outside their scope of practice. If you're not allowed physical therapy yet, then you don't need anyone's advice on here that isn't a licensed professional period. I mean you did mention wanting to do it right and fully recover, that requires professional advice, not Internet wisdom of grandeur, yes? Find a legit professional in your area, out of pocket a few hundred dollars is worth the additional years of quality life you may gain from a true professional of their craft.

BUT to get you going in the right direction, focus on nutrition. Nows the opportunity to shift your focus while accelerating recovery. Precision Nutrition has plenty of information and even those specific to nutrition for injuries (would include surgery recovery).

Start there, find a high quality local professional and you'll be back up faster than jumping into some workout posted on YouTube by a 22 year old. Shoot me your zip code and I can give you some recommendations for practitioners in your area.

God Bless you, Sir.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Ryan St.Jean

This!
Work on your diet now. Getting to a healthy body weight helps with lots of stuff. When you can begin rehab/ fitness training under the guidance of a legitimate medical professional.

Barry B

It can't be stated enough. Sourcing health info from non-qualified mooks (like me) on the internet is a non-starter.

So, with that out of the way my layperson opinion is first, diet and nutrition. I'd see a good nutritionist.

Second, I'd get with your rehab POCs and find out what you can (and as important - CAN NOT) do to safely build strength, flexibility, and lose weight - factoring in the surgery you just had. When I say "YOUR" rehab POCs what I mean is exceptionally qualified rehab POCs that are working very closely with your spine surgeon.

Good luck...
Barry