Looking for advice on side plates size, threat level, material, & reasonable sources

DNewman

I am interested in advice on the use of side plates in my plate carrier (First Spear Strandhogg w/ overlap cummerbund). I would be using this in a LE role (not dedicated SWAT) or for training.

I currently have large ceramic (Ceradyne under a different brand for the civilian market I believe) level III plates front and back along with IIIA backers. I also have 6" x 12" IIIA side panels in the cummerbund. The cummerbund will hold 6 x 6 without modification or 6 x 8 with extenders.

I am interested in general thoughts on running side plates with a focus on weight and comfort. I have not run side plates previously so please don't assume something is obvious because it may not be to me. I am concerned with plate thickness and rubbing under my arms as well as access to belt mounted gear.

I am interested in ICW plates to save weight since I am already running IIIA underneath but seem to be having difficulty finding any. The ones I have found advertised seem to be standalone plates.

I do not have level IV plates so adding IV side plates does not seem practical so please focus on III / III+.

Lastly if anyone has a great hook up for plates that they want to share please do so.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

AT Armor

Vendor
The Level III / III+ plates will not fit your requirement of thin. These (and any Level IV) will be thicker and most likely heavier than a special threat / SAPI rated side plate. That being said, working backwards from the most likely threat you will encounter and applying the ballistic solution should be the starting point, even for sides. If you then make the conscious decision to trade some level of protection for weight / bulk then it is at least an informed decision. Wearing front/back plates sucks... but sides suck in an exponentially bad way. Odds are you will say the hell with heavy and/or thick sides and will remove them as quickly as they were installed. You need something that you will actually use. As far as the stand alone it really wont save you anything by trying to search out an ICW solution simply because it is ICW. Work backwards, go as light and thin as you are comfortable with during the threat assessment and roll from there.

Plenty of options out there for side plates; III, III+, III/IV ICW, STOP, STOP-BZ...give me a shout if you have any specific questions, always glad to assist.

Longeye

Established
I hated side plates, especially 6x8 size. Then I picked how JPC, along with the Crye 6x6 side plate pockets for JPC. It made all the difference. The side plates now ride in a useful location, don't rub me, and don't flop all over. They also don't hit me in the head when donning the PC. The coverage is good enough that I do not feel bad about not having soft cummerbund armor- which I use to wear.

The plates I am running are stand-alones, I will have to look at the brand- LTC iirc. They have a soft back side, which I believe is soft armor backer.

DocGKR

Dr.Ballistics
Staff member
Side plates are quite useful. Get the biggest ones you can tolerate. Thin aluminum oxide or boron carbide side plates are not all that thick or heavy for LE use.