Looking for a range in KC, MIssouri

djsticky

Amateur
Network Support II
Not sure if this would be appropriate to post on the main FB page so I'll ask here first.

I'm going to be in Kansas City for about a month. I'm looking for a range where I can work from the holster and not be chided for low split times. I'm more then happy to do a qual for the holster work if that is their policy.

I will be in the Overland Park area but am willing to drive, preferably under an hour. I'll check out Practiscore but if there are any matches in the area I should hit up shout them out!

Thanks in advance!

The Bullet Hole in Overland Park has USPSA every Friday night. The USPSA club is Bullet Hole Practical Shooting Club, listed as BHPSC on Facebook. Must have range membership, but that's like $20 all in, and they'll waive your match fee for your first time. They have 4 large bays; 2 with your standard booths upstairs that require slow fire. 2 downstairs that are totally open and are pretty much "no rules" (draw from holster, movement, reloads, etc). Costs $20 per hour to rent out a basement bay.

There are tons of ranges in the area, which I can give you more detail on, but this is probably the only one that will allow you to draw from the holster off the top of my head. At least economically.

djsticky

Amateur
Network Support II
The Bullet Hole in Overland Park has USPSA every Friday night. The USPSA club is Bullet Hole Practical Shooting Club, listed as BHPSC on Facebook. Must have range membership, but that's like $20 all in, and they'll waive your match fee for your first time. They have 4 large bays; 2 with your standard booths upstairs that require slow fire. 2 downstairs that are totally open and are pretty much "no rules" (draw from holster, movement, reloads, etc). Costs $20 per hour to rent out a basement bay.

There are tons of ranges in the area, which I can give you more detail on, but this is probably the only one that will allow you to draw from the holster off the top of my head. At least economically.
Outstanding man this is just what I was looking for! I appreciate it, I'll certainly pay them a visit and will probably make a match or two while I'm there.

Thanks again!

Outstanding man this is just what I was looking for! I appreciate it, I'll certainly pay them a visit and will probably make a match or two while I'm there.

Thanks again!
Not a problem! Let me know if you have any questions about stuff in the area, shooting or otherwise. Definitely a lot going on here that isn't widely advertised.

The Bullet Hole — right in the middle of OP — is probably most convenient for you by far. It also has IDPA monthly (I'm on the board there, live walking distance from it): http://kcshootingmasters.com/scores/index.shtml

The upstairs range lanes do have restrictions on "rapid fire" and so on, but I do not recall them since I never shoot those lanes. Unless changed lately, you pay but for the day (not per hour) and it's not much so has generally been by FAR the cheapest pay-for-access range I have ever seen.

Matches are held downstairs and it is possible to rent those and do as you will but... not sure if anything else required to do that aside from just asking. The South range has target stands bolted downrange, designed to take cardboard backers (which may or may not be installed) and staple full sized Qs to them, but nothing is on the North (trainers and clubs have stuff locked in the cabinets and closets).

if you drive a tidge out of town, a decent handful of ranges, some free public, but some member only, and these are generally tedious approval processes, so not just pay a fee and go shoot.

North of town, MO DOC range, Parma Woods: https://nature.mdc.mo.gov/discover-nature/places/parma-woods-range-and-training-center
East of town, MO DOC range, inside the Lake City ammo plant: https://nature.mdc.mo.gov/discover-nature/places/lake-city-range

There's a public range I am forgetting... will update if I ever remember it.

djsticky

Amateur
Network Support II
Thanks for the info Shoobe. The Bullet Hole is only 15 or 20 minutes from my hotel. I went up there today and changed my RMR battery, there were some of the USPSA folks downstairs doing some practice so I stopped down and chatted with them for a while. I'll be going out on Friday to shoot their match and meet some more shooters from the area. They gave me a quick rundown of where the matches where and DAMN there are a lot of pistol games being shot around here. This bodes well for me if I end up moving to the area for work!