Looking for a centerline concealed knife and sheath.

ejh28

So lately I've been listing to Fisher a little too much, and decided that I should get a center line mounting knife and a decent sheath. I EDC a regular Kershaw pocket knife, but it's useless for anything past cutting the cardboard boxes that my goodies come in.

The only issue I foresee is that I also EDC my spare mag on a horizontal pouch right on my belt buckle, so I'd likely have to find a different solution for my spare mag, but I have spare stuff lying around for that.

So what style of blade, type of metal, mounting position and sheath combo's do you guys recommend?

M Atwood

Vendor
There are guys running both mag pouch and knife in that area, just takes some working it around. I've also seen rigs built that hold both (but I don't recall who built 'em).

Clinch Pick is a good bet. They turn up regularly on the TAD site, but you have to be fast on the trigger when they drop. Keep your eyes open.
Ian Wendt/Special Circumstances Inc. https://www.facebook.com/SpecialCircumstancesInc also makes a custom knife in the vein of the 'Pick, called the Maleficus. https://www.facebook.com/MDTSTraini...418078.384974505611/10155412410470612/?type=1 This comes with a trainer, with it's own sheath (vs. having to buy a trainer separately).
Personally, I like push knives for centerline carry. I've used the Cold Steel SafeKeeperIII (the short one) for years, even though it's a sub-optimal design. SCI/Wendt also does excellent Push Dagger designs.

Things to look for in a good centerline knife, IMO, are an overall compact package, that has a secure handle with both good retention (features for your hands to lock onto well, and provide grip/drag) and a good hand-stop, as well as a sheath that allows you to get ALL of your fingers around the grip from the very beginning of the draw (just like you would with your pistol): Some of the popular designs don't allow for this. Fortunately, kydex benders like Dark Star Gear http://darkstargear.com/ are capable of putting a sheath optimized for in-fight weapons access on just about anything.
There are a few different production knives, easily available knives, that work well in the centerline role, with a proper sheath: The most popular of these seems to be the ESEE Izula with scales on it. That would be an easily available option, that you can buy now and get sheathed rapidly. (The factory sheath is, eh, "sub-optimal").

MrMurphy

I experimented with one of Joe Watson's early prototypes carried in that manner. It was the Hidden Key or Master Key (?) can't remember, about a 3" blade worn at the belt buckle horizontal.

Ridiculously easy to hide under just a t-shirt, fast to draw and in the hand near automatically. I wear spare mags at 9 oclock so it was not an issue. His current Magni would work well in that setup.

GarandThumb

My training is heavily influenced by SOCP and Greg Thompson since that is what I was taught and what I teach. We use a SOCP dagger run centerline (oriented straight) on our plate carrier (or wherever if you're not running one). Many have used this setup real world and have good things to say about it.

As with everything make sure you get the necessary training on the knife prior to a fight. Knife fights are messy. Don't use a folding blade, experience has shown that it can work but you can fumble it in a crucial moment.

Cgarcia

So what style of blade, type of metal, mounting position and sheath combo's do you guys recommend? -OP

For centerline carry there are several considerations to make.

-Stainless steel or coated (Cerakote, DLC) carbon/tool steel blades are preferable. A few Nitrided blades are out there as well as some non-metallic offerings for special purposes. Blades carried IWB will be constantly exposed to sweat and many carbon and tool steels will corrode rapidly. STAINLESS means STAINS-LESS not STAIN FREE as these steels will rust too if neglected. Especially avoid knives made from 3Cr13MoV and 5Cr13MoV, these are cheap Chinese stainless steels that are typically heat treated to be too soft to hold an edge and can be prone to rust.

-You are looking for a knife that will be comfortable enough to be carried constantly and seldom if ever used for it's intended purpose. A high dollar custom may/may not be suitable for you but there are appropriate knives at varied price points which I will list. Some of the blades listed below are considered disposable or "ditch" blades.

- A centerline blade is a dedicated SD/ Worst case GTFO knife and should be paired with a dedicated utility EDC knife if at all possible.

-Stabbing/Thrusting>Slashing. Research this and see some of the absolutely horrendous slashing wounds some folks have survived vs the seemingly tiny stab wounds to major organs and/or blood vessels that have put folks down permanently.

-Knife wounds are rarely instantly incapacitating. Just like firearms, shot placement is crucial.

-Blade shape/design: depending on what technique/school of thought/training you come from, many options exist. Dagger/Double edge, Drop point, Clip/Bowie, Skinner/Trailing/Persian, TRUE Tanto/Kwaiken (the historically accurate Japanese design).. It depends on preference and technique. Clip points and Kwaikens tend to penetrate best, even through soft armor. You want to walk a balance between having an acute point and having enough steel at the tip to ensure the tip doesn't snap off... Or maybe you want it to. In my opinion, "American Tanto" blades as popularized by Cold Steel, Emerson, and others are not as effective at penetration due to their tip design but some folks love them.

-SHEATH:
-Get a good quality custom Kydex rig from a professional shop. Not the cheapest but even for disposable knives it is worth it. Leather works but is prone to absorbing and holding moisture and can contribute to corrosion problems. Kydex offers light weight, good retention via friction fit, and numerous mounting options. Some companies and smiths offer kydex with the knife but most production knives have oversized sheaths with less than optimal retention and fit.

- Carry methods/attachments. Spyderco G clip, J-hooks, soft IWB Loops (Blade Tech), sash carry/static line. Personally I prefer static line carry as it is almost no weight penalty and moves with you, but have had good results with the soft IWB loops as well. Research each option and see what works for your needs.

BLADES
-The previously mentioned Watson knives, Special Circumstances, Cold Steel Push/Punch Daggers, and Colonel Blade are good choices.
-Ban Tang makes his own version of the Clinch Pick as well as a number of his own designs, very high quality blades.
-Bud Nealy: Pesh Kabz
-Cold Steel: Spikes, Sgian Dubh.
-CRKT: Bear Claw models, Burnley OBAKE.
-Victorinox: Fruit/Paring Knives (no joke)
-Daniel Winkler: Dynamis, Spike/Walker Spike
-Ben Tendick: Kraiken
-KA-BAR: TDI Series
-Artificum Solis
-American Kami
-Matt Helm Knives
-Bastinelli Knives
-Bradshaw Blades
Many more out there but those are what come to mind quickly.

SHEATHS
Good Kydex Shops:
-Buy Brown
-Zulu Bravo
-River City Sheaths
-Panther Concealment
Many more here as well.
Hope this helps.

Lutz501

Amateur
So I have a totally different approach to the same problem that may or may not work for you. In the glorious state of CA concealed fixed blades are a felony so folders are the only concealable option. Seeing as I don't want to be a felon I carry a Kershaw with the Emerson wave in each pocket. This way I can get to a knife with either hand and the knife is functional and ready for work as soon as I draw it. I've trained to get to both sides while seated, prone and supine without any difficulty. The pocket clips are easy to switch for the left hand knife and Kershaw makes a few trainers for the line which is handy for well, training. I'll be the first to say the steel is pretty meh so if you give them any amount of work they will need to be sharpend often but at the price point it's nice having knives I won't cry over losing (I've never had one of these come out of a any pocket but I've lost much nicer knives to that fate). Is this the best solution? I highly doubt it but it does allow ambidextrous knife carry while keeping the centerline clear; and on the off chance you travel somewhere with stupid knife laws you're good to go.

JLL2013

Big fan of the Dynamis blade by Winkler and the Rat by Headhunter blades. Excellent blade designs and versatile sheaths. Either of those are good to go and will get whatever you want done.

PM07

Staff member
On duty-Benchmade SOCP carried centerline on my Mayflower LPAC . Low profile, concealed enough that unless I tell someone what it is they didn't know and comes with a trainer. Win win for me.

Off duty- Joe Watson blade, HiTS

Longinvs

Quantified Performance
I've had the Spartan Blades Enyo for four or five years and I've been impressed with the quality and the coating on it. The PVD finish has been exceptionally durable and I'm a big fan of S35VN steel. My only complaint is the sheath. Even for an IWB knife as it's intended it leaves some to be desired as far as attachment and method of retention, it's only friction based. Overall though I'd still readily recommend it, just maybe find someone that could hook you up with another sheath.

Stringers762

Check out HeadHunter Blades. The Rat is a really solid blade that is a great size for everyday carry. Harley Elmore is the designer/maker and is a Sayoc Tuhom. Sheath is really solid w a great clip. I carry a rat everyday. Totally concealed, or you could run it on a duty belt. Ballistic magazine recently did a nice video on blades w Kyle Defoor. It’s on their Facebook or website. Defoor has several blade videos on his YouTube. He also carries and endorsed the Rat, as well as Atienza designs.

If you need an aftermarket sheath, I strongly recommend you get in touch w Bladerigs. Nick is a great dude and will make you a solid sayoc style sheath that will fit your blade perfect. There are some good, non expensive fixed blades out there, but the sheath typical sucks. Poor retention and clip design.

Wil

My training is heavily influenced by SOCP and Greg Thompson .

Ditto! Though for clarification, I am not, nor ever was involved with Greg through the military or similar connections but through jiu jitsu. I use his SOCP knife in my LE Active Shooter rig.

Barry B

@OP - I will tell you what I am running. I am about 5’9”, 185 lbs, 32” waist. I run a Spartan Blades Enyo at 10-11 o’clock for left hand (non-dominant) draw. The Enyo is about 6”, can be mounted with the included loop in any position you want (horizontal, vertical, etc). I carry that with either a G19 AIWB, G26 AIWB, or G43 AIWB + 1 or 2 mags about 10 o’clock IWB, and I have plenty of room for the extra mag(s) and the Enyo. SB sells an additional clip that comes with the knife, and you can buy additional loops to custom orient the knife on your belt. Retention of the sheath is good, but not such that the knife can’t be easily drawn.

All that said, I would strongly recommend looking at a ClinchPick by ShivWorks. It is double edged, and I may put a 2nd edge on my Enyo. I wrapped the handle of my Enyo with paracord and I like it better than the naked metal.

https://spartanbladesusa.com/enyo-inside-waist-band-neck-knife-edc/

Barry