Loading Surefire 60 for extended periods

patriot_man

Has anyone kept a Surefire 60 loaded for an extended period of time?

Any issues with the feed lips spreading apart?

Nate Osborne

NateMac
Staff member
I haven't had mine for a long time, but I have had one fully loaded with federal fusion for about 9 months. I don't use it too often, but after being loaded for that period of time I put 60 rounds through it as part of a practice session and it fed just fine. If anything I would think it would have less of an issue with feed lips spreading than a standard magazine.

Javelin

I just shot my 2 D-60s over the Labor Day weekend after 6 months of storage. No issues with either. And just as an additional data point, both were loaded with 62 grain rounds.

Mike_IA

At work we did over a year test of keeping a couple COTS 60 Surefire 60 rounders loaded and the. Firingnthem and reloading them at different intervals. We didn’t have any issues attributable to the magazine or it being loaded for extended time. They were recommended as an option for patrol rifles but denied because of looks and administrative worries about excessive ammo load out.

patriot_man

Thanks for all the feedback.

Love the D60 but I do like that the Surefire is ~12 ounces lighter. Not to mention that the SF is easier to load as well.

patriot_man

I ended up picking up another Surefire 60. I loaded the one I had on hand and will keep it loaded over the next few months and check back in with measurements.

BooneGA

Staff member
WARLORD
I have one that sat loaded for a little over 2 years. No issues with feeding when I last had it out.

Rick