LMS Defense Intermediate Pistol Clinic: June 20th, 2015

N

nate89

I must be a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to writing, because I never actually get around to posting AARs, because they always feel hollow and incomplete. I guess the idea is you have an outline of how the class went so you can decide whether to spend your time and money taking a similar class. Anyway, here goes an AAR for the Intermediate Pistol Clinic with LMS Defense that I went to today. As it will be just an outline and will most likely leave out important info, feel free to ask questions if I left anything out you’d like to know about.

I had the opportunity to take a second class with John Chapman this year, but this time with a handgun. As a general outline, this was a one day class, and material was covered quickly and efficiently. Weather was in the 80s and 90s, starting clear in the morning with some clouds (thankfully) moving in during the afternoon.

Gear of note: I shot a Sig 226 from an RDR OWB kydex holster, and Raven mag pouches. Nothing of note there, the gun ran flawless, and the gear didn’t get in the way of learning. As a quick aside, make sure you spend some money on quality socks. Especially when it’s hot and you are getting sweaty, a good pair of socks is often overlooked and can be the difference between comfort and something else to take your mind of what you are there for. Good shoes are also important. There were 8 students total, everyone else had a Glock of some sort, except for my friend brought his M&P, and another guy brought a CZ. The only gun problems I saw from anyone was two light primer strikes in the CZ at the beginning of the class. I think he ended up replacing a spring, but I saw no other issues for the remainder of the day.

Class began with an overview about medical procedure should there be any injuries, as well as a reminder about safety. Chappy, like last class, reminded us that the safety rules apply not only on the range, but also if you have to use the gun on duty or for self-defense. With that covered, we began a warm up by drawing and taking single shots from 3-15 yards. This being an intermediate class, one of the main differences was the expectation that we would keep the gun loaded, be able to holster after the drills on our own, and generally be more self-reliant than in the beginning class. I was a little surprised how quick we moved into drawing from alternate positions (kneeling and prone), but it was nice to get right to work. I have little experience with either shooting a handgun from prone, or drawing (and emergency reloading) a handgun while in prone, and the assistant instructors were a big help in offering advice about bring the knee up to roll over to get the gun in line with your eyes and the target. This was very eye-opening to me and a great learning opportunity. Something to take home and practice on my own (there were a lot of these moments).

As a quick comment—taking a class from Chappy is something that really needs to be experienced. I need to start a quote book and jot down all the humorous one liners that I have heard. It’s also refreshing to be able to have a light-hearted moment on the line, but also be able to get right back to business when needed. I’ll avoid mentioning certain specific comments to protect the innocent (or guilty), but there were several mentions of the Navy SEALS, CZ and the temple index, thinking of the birds (and Chappy getting jokes but choosing to not honor them with a response-probably best), and various and sundry other laughs throughout the day. It was a good addition to the mix of the day. Chappy is also very good an offering specific and individual advice and instruction to each student. As I mentioned about the last class I took, I always come away feeling like I got more than my fair share of individual instruction, and more than my money’s worth of value. The things he will say to you (and discussing it with my two friends who were also at the class), are things that really show his diagnostic ability. Every one of us was told about something we needed to fix that we didn’t even realize we were doing (or not doing). My one friend, before shooting on the move, was told that he was expected to move faster than the person who did it right before him. That was one comment that stuck with me—I knew that I should be pushing myself and not be drifting along, but trying to put up my best performance. Chappy would make sure each person was advancing at their own pace, and expecting different results from each student.

After the initial warm-up, for the reminder of the day almost every time we shot it was an NSR. That ended up being anywhere from 3-8 rounds (or 12-15 if you were my trigger-happy friend while shooting on the move). This was a good thing, and helped me break out of the two per target rut that you can slip into. It also can cause widely varying round counts per student, so when planning for the class, depending on how you plan on shooting will determine where you will be on round count. The class calls for 3-500 rounds, and I know I shot at least 400, but it was probably close to 500. I had about 1200 rounds in the trunk, and I didn’t have a worry about running out, which I know at least one student did. It’s worth the extra money to have more than enough ammo and not have to worry about reducing your participation in drills because you don’t have enough ammo.

A constant theme throughout the class was rhythm shooting. When doing transitions on target (chest to head, etc.) or between targets, as well as doing the box drill, a smooth and consistent rate of fire was expected. This, paired with tight target sizes pushed me and I felt it was much more productive than having larger aiming points. That was another difference between this class any many others (even good ones that I have really enjoyed) that I have taken. Everyone is a sniper at 5 yards was said several times during the class. Hitting a 6”X11” A zone at 5 yards isn’t much of a challenge, nor would it really have pushed me like transition drills should. Hitting a small head box, small circles, or the upper half of the A box made it more critical to lead with your eyes to prevent over-swinging the targets and breaking the rhythm. Another theme of the class was reset under recoil. This was something I will be needing to spend some serious time on to really get down, as I didn’t feel like I really every got it down at the class. Taking a class isn’t to turn someone into a gunfighter, but it’s to show you how to practice on your own to develop skills. This was something also said at the beginning of class, and certainly was the case for me. I didn’t really improve many things (at least I felt) during the class, but I got the knowledge I needed to fix things on my own, and that will keep be busy for a long time. Shooting on the move was covered, and one thing that was different was pushing the speed at which you move. I was impressed with how well shots still landed even when at almost a jogging pace. I feel like that is more of a realistic speed to practice, since hauling ass while under fire sounds a bit more like reality than a shuffle. Really pushing myself on the speed and seeing the results was valuable.

We also covered malfunctions, and this was one part in particular that I saw malfunction clearing done in a totally different way. It’s almost a rote presentation when you are at a class and you start talking about clearing a gun. Tap-Rack, lock, strip, reload, blah, blah, everyone has heard the same stuff over and over. Honestly that’s what I was expecting, and I was in for a surprise.

At the end of the day, we all did some standards under time, and tallied up our total misses for the day. Chappy stressed that the speed and accuracy debate is missing the mark, and both are needed to be successful. Seeing every single shot outside of an acceptable area counted and added up was a good reminder, and made me remember to be accountable for every shot. I was a little too turned toward the accuracy side at times, and Chappy had to get me to speed up a bit, as I was not pushing myself like I should. That was one of many times I got a suggestion that helped me fine tune what I was doing in class to get the most I could out of it.

This was a great class. Everyone else in the class was turned on, focused, and safe. I got to put faces to a few names of people I see on Primary and Secondary which was nice. I also, for my thesis I am working on, got to take a bit of Chappy’s time after the class to interview him. He was very willing to donate more of his time, and was a wealth of information. I really appreciated him going above and beyond to help me out. I know one of the jokes is Utah being a black hole for training classes, and I think anyone looking for a class that isn’t too far away should take a look at the LMS schedule. I am in Cache Valley, Utah (Northern Utah area about 20 minutes from the Idaho border), and we made it to class in about 2.5 hours. Once again I’m sure there is plenty missing, but I also didn’t want to do a running tally of every drill and every skill we worked on, but give you an idea of the format and structure of the class to decide if it’s the right class for you. If I were to sum up the class, it would be a “Strong focus on consistency and smoothness. Accuracy was paramount, while also striving to push your speed.”

A few final points just for fun.

While doing malfunction clearing, I stripped a mag out and upon retrieving it, the top round had gone all HK and was sitting backwards under the feel lips. I have no idea how it happened, but a good reminder to check gear before putting it back.

Stock grips on the P series Sig guns, at least for me, suck! I love the gun, but the top of the grips flare out and made it more difficult to get high on the gun, and also made shooting all day pretty uncomfortable (insert mocking about having weak hands or to just man up here). I think I’m going to try the E2 grips, in holding one at a gun shop, they felt much better.

Reloading from prone is an experience. As to my success in doing it the one time I ran dry while on the ground, let’s just say if I had been in Alliance, OH, I probably would have received a patch with a chicken and a moose on it.

Finally-drink water! I downed 2 gallons of water from when I left my house to when the class finished. That doesn’t include the two power-aids. I have never visited the bushes more times in one day in my life, but I stayed hydrated and didn’t have to be rehydrated while dizzy or unconscious, which would have been an experience to say the least. Thanks all for reading, let me know if you have any questions.

avtech850

Amateur
Great stuff Nate. I really like seeing little details like the bit about using your knee in the prone.
Other than being in the prone position, what caused the reload to be so ungainly?

Grayman

Established
Nate,

You have insulted the honor of the motherland... How dare you suggest the mighty CZ was anything less than perfection! Oh wait that's a different brand...

It is important to note that when you have a competition tuned frame it will likely not work with a factory tuned slide. Learning occurred. Once I switched to a factory frame the gun ran 100%. This was a very good lesson for me on the potentially catastrophic importance of testing your equipment thoroughly before relying on it. Comence obligatory shit talking about CZ....

As for the class overall I couldn't have been happier Bourne dragged me along. Chappy puts on a hell of a class and if you don't read any further at least get this: Chappy's class will make you better!

I'll try not to repeat what Nate already shared but bolster his great review with some things that stuck out to me. Chappy started by informing us that no matter how good he was he couldn't take even a great shooter and turn them into a gunfighter with one day. He emphasized that this class was designed to help shooters better understand their individual skills and give them a basis from which to help develop and implement their own training program.

Throughout the day I constantly received diagnostic feedback on my individual performance. Several issues were pointed out that I never would have diagnosed on my own. The key here was instructor to student ratio! I have paid far more for far less individualized training with other instructors. Chappy had two assistant instructors for a class of 8.... Let that sink in for a second. At any one time the odds were good an instructor was watching you and it showed with the amount of valuable feedback each student got.

The class ended early and normally this would have left me a little peeved; however, we covered more material than I ever could have hoped. Chappy did not run the same drill until we were all ready to gouge our eyes out nor did he rush past a subject we were struggling with. I got the sense that Chappy and his AI's were able to accurately assess each student's individual performance and adjust the pace of the class to match. There were plenty of breaks and the constant reminder to keep our water intake up, (No one got the pleasure of Chappy's promised forced re-hydration proceedure.) Everyone stayed under the max round count including matt who made it by 1 round! There was no ballistic masturbation and I left feeling like every round was well used.

There was a common thread that stood out to me and it was prominent throughout the entire class... Chappy actually gives a shit about his students. Not just how many show up or the entertrainment factor he actually cared that each of us walked away from his class with the tools to become better. I several times listened as Chappy explained to Matt how the drill could be applied in his role as an instructor not just for him as a shooter. Chappy never once put someone down or made those of us struggling with particular techniques or concepts feel like we were any lesser than other students. The atmosphere was genuinely fun to be in and everyone left with a smile on their face and I believe the dermination to improve.

The concept that stood out most to me and will be a major factor for all my future training was, to paraphrase, "Speed is a byproduct of smoothness and should not be an individual goal in and of itself." Every drill we ran was a building block that helped to form the foundation upon which each new concept was based. Each drill was explained thoroughly, not just the how to run the drill or some theoretical scenario for which it applies but an actual break down of how that particular drill will help develop the neurological pathways necessary for the body to complete the task efficiently. Chappy is a seriously smart dude and he has obviously taken the time to hone his curriculum.

We ended the day with an AAR and the presentation of awards. As Matt already mentioned Nate was our top shooter. Matt earned a different kind of award which he will have to share and explain on his own but suffice it to say a 4 legged herbivore and some rope were involved.

Avtech:

A big part of manipulations while prone is depenedent on gear placement. This biggest factor however is having your arms essentially pinned while tring to use them to perform a complex task. Your range of motion is limited only to the space you consciously create.

N

nate89

Great stuff Nate. I really like seeing little details like the bit about using your knee in the prone.
Other than being in the prone position, what caused the reload to be so ungainly?

That was pretty much the only reason. Just the fact that you are laying down and gravity is now working in a different direction on you and your gear was something I was still getting used to. I actually reached back and grabbed the mag further to the rear inadvertently, which got my grip on it all messed up. Then bringing it up to the gun I think I dropped it before I even got it to the magwell, which was embarrassing. It's nice that you can practice it dry, and I was doing a few reps earlier just laying on the carpet at home and it's already improved quite a bit.

Bourneshooter

Blue Line Sheepdog
LMS Intermediate Pistol Clinic

Ammo suggested was 300-500 rounds. I used all 500 I brought. Chappy uses the default shots fired each time of a NSR or Non Standard Response. AKA – anything from 3-7 rounds (or more) each time you shoot unless specified. This avoids you getting into a “controlled pair” or “double tap” mentality.

My Glock 22 was Biohazard rated as I don’t have a Grip Force Adapter on it and it was well lubed with my blood each time I shot. Man up and embrace the pain of your blood lubing the gun. No gun issues experience by me, even with the “Glock in .40 with a Weapon Mounted Light” combo that the Internet says won’t work. (Glock 22 Gen 3 with less than 1K on RSA and a X-300 U-boat.
624472487c1fa92fe6a5ed546ffb92aa.jpg

Teaching. Listen to the Ballistic Radio episode with Chappy from season 2. Chappy teaches Modules that are based on the classes’ capability, and what is needed based on individuals needs. They are all designed to help you self train by showing drills to work on to allow you to fix stuff on your own.

The instructor student ratio in the morning was 1 to 4/5, and in the afternoon, 1 to 3. This ensured everyone got attention to his or her issues. It also ensured that eyes were around one people to make sure safety was not a concern.

I drug along Grayman to this class, and was happy to do so. Got the opportunity to talk to someone during the long drive, and someone to bounce stuff off of after class and during the drive home to ensure lessons learned were retained. Notes being taken immediately after/during class is something I learned to do quickly as it helps me have info for later.

Admin Briefing:
Chappy did a very quick and to the point briefing including a clear and succinct medical brief. It was a pleasant relief to see that as I’ve seen a few guys push for long (30 minutes) safety/medical briefings that I feel undercut the issue at hand. At least 2 students and 2 instructors had CAT TQ’s on belts in addition to medical kit standing by on the line. Chappy was constantly hitting on the hydrate, hydrate, hydrate mantra. Yes, you piss a lot, but it beats being dehydrated and the promised rehydration procedure.

Knowing that I’m responsibly for a part of my Departments range training, Chappy took the time to add some info to ensure I got what I needed on how to teach to my guys when I get back to work. This was a major bonus to me.

Lessons Learned:

Work grip/stance to fix an issue.

Grip/Presentation

Not a multipart as it sets up for a choppy presentation. One smooth push from holster to target with finger touching trigger.

Reset under recoil is how speed happens. I dry practice a lot, but doing it will not help your reset under recoil and cause you to struggle with it.
Distance and accuracy

Sight focus. Use tip of FSP and know your POI/POA at distances. Personally I must spend more time shooting outside of 15 yards, ideally more 20 and 25-yard work.

Positions:

Draw doesn’t change, rules of muzzling don’t change

Kneeling

Prone

Into/From Kneeling to Prone and vice versa.

Reloads suck, assess that the target is yours. I shot my buddies target when I did a reload from the prone on a slanted pile of dirt that caused me to get a natural alignment on his target. Fortunately for him, they were both hits.

Rhythm Shooting.

Chappy had explained this in class, and it was the first time I “got it” and really took it too home.

Make this the goal in all your shooting. Helps keep accuracy and speed there.

Progressive Malfunction Clearance

Worth taking the class to see how/why he teaches this. Instead of several separate procedures that may or may not work at night, you clear them all the same speedy way. It will require testing part of it with your gun, but it does worth with Glocks without issues.

Shooting while moving.

Same as normal shooting. Accept your wobble, speed comes with practice. It was magic to see hits in the A-zone stay there even as you speed up. I didn’t hit the C-zone until I was sprinting down range. Follow the instructions and you’ll hit.

In summary, go shoot. A lot. At distance. Or else you earn a accurate depiction of your shooting skills.

d393b71d0ea8ee73cc6c96a1689c665e.jpg

LMS Intermediate Pistol Clinic

Ammo suggested was 300-500 rounds. I used all 500 I brought. Chappy uses the default shots fired each time of a NSR or Non Standard Response. AKA – anything from 3-7 rounds (or more) each time you shoot unless specified. This avoids you getting into a “controlled pair” or “double tap” mentality.

My Glock 22 was Biohazard rated as I don’t have a Grip Force Adapter on it and it was well lubed with my blood each time I shot. Man up and embrace the pain of your blood lubing the gun. No gun issues experience by me, even with the “Glock in .40 with a Weapon Mounted Light” combo that the Internet says won’t work. (Glock 22 Gen 3 with less than 1K on RSA and a X-300 U-boat.
624472487c1fa92fe6a5ed546ffb92aa.jpg

Teaching. Listen to the Ballistic Radio episode with Chappy from season 2. Chappy teaches Modules that are based on the classes’ capability, and what is needed based on individuals needs. They are all designed to help you self train by showing drills to work on to allow you to fix stuff on your own.

The instructor student ratio in the morning was 1 to 4/5, and in the afternoon, 1 to 3. This ensured everyone got attention to his or her issues. It also ensured that eyes were around one people to make sure safety was not a concern.

I drug along Grayman to this class, and was happy to do so. Got the opportunity to talk to someone during the long drive, and someone to bounce stuff off of after class and during the drive home to ensure lessons learned were retained. Notes being taken immediately after/during class is something I learned to do quickly as it helps me have info for later.

Admin Briefing:
Chappy did a very quick and to the point briefing including a clear and succinct medical brief. It was a pleasant relief to see that as I’ve seen a few guys push for long (30 minutes) safety/medical briefings that I feel undercut the issue at hand. At least 2 students and 2 instructors had CAT TQ’s on belts in addition to medical kit standing by on the line. Chappy was constantly hitting on the hydrate, hydrate, hydrate mantra. Yes, you piss a lot, but it beats being dehydrated and the promised rehydration procedure.

Knowing that I’m responsibly for a part of my Departments range training, Chappy took the time to add some info to ensure I got what I needed on how to teach to my guys when I get back to work. This was a major bonus to me.

Lessons Learned:

Work grip/stance to fix an issue.

Grip/Presentation

Not a multipart as it sets up for a choppy presentation. One smooth push from holster to target with finger touching trigger.

Reset under recoil is how speed happens. I dry practice a lot, but doing it will not help your reset under recoil and cause you to struggle with it.
Distance and accuracy

Sight focus. Use tip of FSP and know your POI/POA at distances. Personally I must spend more time shooting outside of 15 yards, ideally more 20 and 25-yard work.

Positions:

Draw doesn’t change, rules of muzzling don’t change

Kneeling

Prone

Into/From Kneeling to Prone and vice versa.

Reloads suck, assess that the target is yours. I shot my buddies target when I did a reload from the prone on a slanted pile of dirt that caused me to get a natural alignment on his target. Fortunately for him, they were both hits.

Rhythm Shooting.

Chappy had explained this in class, and it was the first time I “got it” and really took it too home.

Make this the goal in all your shooting. Helps keep accuracy and speed there.

Progressive Malfunction Clearance

Worth taking the class to see how/why he teaches this. Instead of several separate procedures that may or may not work at night, you clear them all the same speedy way. It will require testing part of it with your gun, but it does worth with Glocks without issues.

Shooting while moving.

Same as normal shooting. Accept your wobble, speed comes with practice. It was magic to see hits in the A-zone stay there even as you speed up. I didn’t hit the C-zone until I was sprinting down range. Follow the instructions and you’ll hit.

In summary, go shoot. A lot. At distance. Or else you earn a accurate depiction of your shooting skills.

d393b71d0ea8ee73cc6c96a1689c665e.jpg

Bourne, you and Grayman are really going to make me work my ass off to keep up with you two, aren't you? Good, I need the motivation. Bleeding while, shooting, ask Grayman about me and bleeding while on training days. It always happens, and its never Glock slide bite for me. Blood thinners and cuts don't mix well with me.
The 3 of us must get together this year soon. After my 2nd surgery in September maybe. Grayman, you and me, sooner than that, hopefully.

Bourne, Nate, Grayman,
Can any of you expand on the "reset under recoil"?, Or is it something that needs to be demonstrated rather than explained here?

Matt Landfair

Matt Six Actual
Staff member
Administrator
I would guess it means you don't need to get your gun back on target before resetting the trigger. Reset your trigger during recoil. This would allow faster followup shots.