LMG/M249/C9 Chest Rig

MikeH

Looks like I'm going on course soon, coin toss as to that I may find myself a C9 gunner. With my luck it's a good possibility. Have some conflicting information as to whether or not I'll be forced to wear the issued rig or some sort of personal purchase modular rig. With that being said I'd like to bring my own TT Mav 2 in follow on kit to ensure that I have the capability to if allowed. Need to purchase a few pouches to ensure capability and coverage of minimum load out requirements.

With that being said does anyone have any suggestion on layout of rig based on the following requirements.

The Modular Fighting Rig (MFR) will be configured in accordance with the mission and the individual soldier’s preference. It will at a minimum be configured to allow for:

a. ammo carriage of 10 x magazines? or 2 x LMG boxes;

b. carriage of 2 x fragmentation and 2 x smoke grenades;

c. carriage of a clearly identifiable individual first aid kit & tourniquet;

d. carriage of a PRR;

e. carriage of a minimum of 2 liters of water;
  1. carriage of night vision equipment- with 1 x set of spare batteries;
  1. carriage of GPS;
  1. bayonet; and
  1. carriage of TCCC bag (if issued).

275RLTW

Same placement as carbine rig except replace the mag pouches with your drum pouches. Keep 100rd nut sack on the SAW and the 400rds on your kit. Keep them up high for comfort in the prone and to minimize flopping around when running.

essal

Can I recommend a belt kit? I'll recommend it anyway. You'll be able to get a better shooting position and better weight distribution as long as you have proper belt and pouches.

275RLTW

Can I recommend a belt kit? I'll recommend it anyway. You'll be able to get a better shooting position and better weight distribution as long as you have proper belt and pouches.

Belt mount SAW drums?!

Ski85

Same placement as carbine rig except replace the mag pouches with your drum pouches. Keep 100rd nut sack on the SAW and the 400rds on your kit. Keep them up high for comfort in the prone and to minimize flopping around when running.
Agree with this. I've seen guys run them lower on the vest and it never works out the way they hope. Running higher will be more comfortable, in my experience.

Never tried belt mounted so can't comment from experience but I imagine it would be similar to wearing them low on your armor. Seems there would be a lot of potential to flop around when running and become uncomfortable/annoying

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

i rocked a TT 2 pc MAV with 2 200 rd drum pouches. I had a 100 on the gun, and 400 more in the assault pack. this is the 2007/8 timeframe in Iraq.

KyPlinker

Amateur
Working as a SAW and M240 gunner, I have had really good luck with a 1 piece TT MAV, padded H harness with 2-200 round pouches centerline, and TT sustainment pouches on the outside. For IFAK/NODS and additional BS I would add an ATS war belt.