Lever guns!

spinmove_

I just finished listening to ModCast 222 and the panelists really made some salient points about lever rifles and bolt rifles.

Taking that into context, are there any good reasons why one couldn't easily setup a Marlin 336 in .30-30 with something like a 1-6x LPVO and a light and go to work? What are the quirks of that system to look out for? Are there any better solutions?

Kris Walters

Amateur
Quantified Performance
None at all, I currently have a Henry X model in .357 with a Trijicon Acupoint (Leupold mounted in photo) on it. I used a Ranger point precision rail, hammer spur extension and Leupold low rings to put mine together. I have only had it to the range once since I put it all together but it seems to fit the niche I had in mind for it. I also attempted to put a X300 on the bit of rail that is molded in to the fore arm but it was less than desirable. In the future I will probably pick up a Midwest handguard to have more mounting options.

The rifle's primary purpose will be Hog hunting and secondary will be as a NY legal carbine for when I visit family.

Attachments

• h.jpg
    h.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 83

Hayden

Spinmove. I would highly suggest that if you are considering a Marlin 336, to get on the Marlin owners forum and do some reading.
Marlin closed its doors in March of 2011. 2009 is the last of the True Marlins. Remington now makes the Marlin Brand and the quality dropped considerably. When buying a used TRUE Marlin, the older the better. My favorite is the 50s to 70s era. 1982 is the last year for a NON Cross Bolt Safty gun.

I got a bunch of different calibers in the Marlin. 10+ in 30-30 alone. Look at the 35 Rem round if you want a little more umph. There is still a LOT of really nice older Marlins out there. Some even brand new. The Marlin Owners forum has a For Sale section as well and I have purchased Probably 20+ guns out of there. Great guys to deal with. Someone will set ya up right if you ask for a nice used 30-30.

Hayden.

Brad Trittipo

I have a Marlin 1895GSL stainless that I added the XS Scout Rail with ghost rings, Ranger Precision Load Gate and Hammer Extension and a Vortex Crossfire. I am looking to add a Ranger Precision Mid Size Loop and upgrade to a T1 or H1 when I can find one at the right price. I would highly recommend the Ranger Precision load gate as it allows for easier loading without the issue of pinching your fingers or gloves and allows you to unload the rifle through the loadgate. In the pictures below you can see the comparison of the factory and Ranger loadgate. Ranger is top and left in the pictures.

As far as Marlin QC, when installing the load gate I removed the rear stock. When I removed the stock it fell apart into three pieces. I contacted Marlin through email and social media with zero results. I called Marlin 3-4 weeks later and was able to talk to a human, when I advised him that my stock fell apart he was not buying it. When I gave him my serial number his tone changed and he immediately said they would send a new stock out. He did not state it, but I wonder if they had issues with a certain serial number range. I am still waiting on the stock to arrive, it has been 2 weeks. Initially when sighting in the rifle I found the hammer was gritty and hard to cock, I discovered that was caused by a piece of the broken stock falling between the hammer spring. So far the rifle is accurate and reliable, even with chunks of the stocks floating around.

If you buy a Marlin, take a good look at it prior to buying it and think of it as a receiver and barrel that you will be adding accessories to. Boyd makes aftermarket stocks for the Marlin lever guns if you are looking at wood stocks and synthetic options are available from other companies. Be aware that the Boyd stocks do not come with a recoil pad, only a solid butt plate.

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_1c.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_1c.jpeg
    548.8 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_4963.jpg
    IMG_4963.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_4973.jpg
    IMG_4973.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_4978.jpg
    IMG_4978.jpg