Level IV+ Options

Zerret

Yup, they are rebranded Tencate plates, which that part I like for Tencate makes some great armor. What I don't like is their "duritium" BS. They say that is why their plates are lightweight is because of duritium. Looking closer, their ceramics are lightweight, for they do not have edge to edge protection. A 10x12 is an 8x10.

Adept armor seems a dubious to me, I am not 100% sure about them.

Yeah, the Duritium appears to just be fancy branding. I was once told that you can ascertain the legitimacy of an armor company by checking out their physical address, and shotstop's listed business address doesn't look remotely large enough, IMO, to be an R&D facility for exotic "Duritium" manufacturing and testing. It's situated on commercial property between a software store and an electronics seller. (https://www.shotstop.net/pages/contact)

It does look large enough to be a location capable of shipping rebadged plates and office work. That fits.

Meanwhile, according to google street view, Adept's listed business address in Oklahoma is just an unmarked garage right next to what appears to be a paint store in an industrial park. (https://www.adeptarmor.com/contact/). Their "European facility" isn't listed on that page. Not sure what's going on there.

shoobe01

Established
That's very typical for businesses like this. I've even worked in them. Enough office for whatever you are likely to need, but mostly boxing, labeling, shipping. SOMETIMES manufacturing happens, but rarely over machine shop level. Yeah: they might be "making them" they aren't forming ceramics there or spinning fibers.

HighTower

Curious to hear the issues about AMI. They were at one point quite highly rated by Roberts (AKA DocGKR), though this was years and years ago.
The plates are Tencate rebrands, those aint the issue.

The issue is some one who works there is slimey about their plates being rebrands.

You cant find the Tencate part unless you check the CPL, all their plates minus their inhome Poly Sapi cut are rebrands.

HighTower

First I heard something negative about AMI
Rebranding Tencate's but no evidence of rebranding, the CPL is all Tencate minus an in house poly plate.

One guy is slimey about it, speaks as if said plates are made inhouse, and over stated a rating thats not listed on the Tencate site itself.

Not shotstop bad, but still greasy.

HighTower

Shotstop edge is, apparently, just because it's hexagons. I have told them they are dummies for not making this super clear, showing it x-rayed or being assembled, etc but I am no one, they don't care :)

Unclear to me that anyone else with multi-part construction does better. Do we know for sure, have x-rays and stuff of those? Be interesting to compare but I've never seen anything solid.

They said to me when I asked, in part, about the edge sizes, way more than I asked but the size is in the bold:

I recall older all-ceramic plates including the previous otherwise great multi-hit ones I had actually failing (non certification, somewhat ad hoc) testing for edge shots. I bet my tolerance is not just letter of the law Fair Shot but my old man brain thinking that's just what it is, and there are better-to-the-edge plates today.

To the last graf of yours: Is there any thought — with improved technology in ballistics and especially in armor — to add any level of certification to include true AP? Since the same NIJ cert is used for non-worn armor (shields, door inserts, etc) it would seem very relevant to be able to buy a specific certified threat level instead of the + doing so much work.
Hi.

One development thats low key bit has fed money was Ambrigated tiles by Verco. The tiles are funky shapes that lock in together.

HighTower

A. The
That is interesting stuff.

Part where they are flexible and the horrible jackholes at DragonSkin (et al! They are still out there) make me want some really really solid testing but that could be super cool if it pans out. If anyone has one, do tell experience so far.

Yeah, but they are not. A.B. had to release the pat for verco to work it.

And hate A.B. if you want, but hexar and d.s. 2.0 are NIJ, for what thats worth.

Zerret

A. The

Yeah, but they are not. A.B. had to release the pat for verco to work it.

And hate A.B. if you want, but hexar and d.s. 2.0 are NIJ, for what thats worth.

I did take a look at the DragonSkin 2.0. The IV+ version is impressive, but a lot pricier than the Colossus. Way outside of my budget, unfortunately. My plan is to keep the L210s and probably wait until the new-gen Hesco plates drop. I'll re-evaluate the market then to decide which IVs to get. I don't really need the IV+ protection against the fancy tungsten-core rounds, I'd just prefer it as a hedge in case stuff too hot for Hesco 4402s becomes common.

Hopefully the Colossus' NIJ certification will be posted by the time Hesco's new plates are out.

HighTower

I did take a look at the DragonSkin 2.0. The IV+ version is impressive, but a lot pricier than the Colossus. Way outside of my budget, unfortunately. My plan is to keep the L210s and probably wait until the new-gen Hesco plates drop. I'll re-evaluate the market then to decide which IVs to get. I don't really need the IV+ protection against the fancy tungsten-core rounds, I'd just prefer it as a hedge in case stuff too hot for Hesco 4402s becomes common.

Hopefully the Colossus' NIJ certification will be posted by the time Hesco's new plates are out.
The colossi's NIJ will be out before the 3811, where is word on 4402?

@shorta07 MTA's are a pain in the neck to make yes?

clocasto

Hoping to piggy back off this for a question here. Warrior poet society appears to sell the ShotStop Duritium III+PA Plate, which they claim is VPAM Level 6, but claim it covers the following: Special Threat Testing:5.56x45mm 62g grain ball, 7.62x39mm PS ball (MSC), 7.62x51mm 149grain M80 FMJ

Wouldn't the fact that its a vpam6 and not a vpam7 mean it does not cover the 7.62x51mm and 556x45

I am hoping I am wrong here but something does not add up, any help thank you in advance

HighTower

Hoping to piggy back off this for a question here. Warrior poet society appears to sell the ShotStop Duritium III+PA Plate, which they claim is VPAM Level 6, but claim it covers the following: Special Threat Testing:5.56x45mm 62g grain ball, 7.62x39mm PS ball (MSC), 7.62x51mm 149grain M80 FMJ

Wouldn't the fact that its a vpam6 and not a vpam7 mean it does not cover the 7.62x51mm and 556x45

I am hoping I am wrong here but something does not add up, any help thank you in advance
Hi

What ever claims SS makes about their plates are half truths at best.

Jake at Adept will send you the VPAM results and the explanation to read them (BFD and energy being two seperate aspectd)

When I was talking to Skip K at SS when the GT2 came around, the no evidence ditirium (silly name for UHDPU) was used to explain any gaps in paperwork, but when it went from advertised full strike face VS edges, alot of folk walked away.. then this year GBRS was going to sell their stuff and they got clowned soo hard thdy decided not to.

As far as John L selling them, he and Max R. (another minuteman life style type) might not know the gt2 is not edge to edge. I wrote MVT an email about it but who knows if he ever saw it?

Alot of people dont know their plates, its issued, they have to wear it, reading deep into it does not tickle the fancy so to speak. It takes a cold slap to the face to go from what one can get for free to personal interest. You can find my older posts before a horrible shoulder injury forced me from heavy IV plates to bleeding edge of high power rifle plates (the eventual RF2's at lowest weight possible) cuss I saw 4sas7's as the be all end all of plates.