Leupold DPP For Duty Use

JP2011

I found some old threads regarding the Delta Point Pro, but they have not had replies posted in almost two years. I can't find any information anywhere if the DPP has been fixed. I want to carry it on a duty weapon, but the only info I have received is from Leupold. They claim the electronics and battery issues has been addressed. Of course they are going to say they fixed all the issues. Anyone with hands on experience with one of the newer models who can give their feedback? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

PM07

Staff member
Are you wanting to use this on a patrol rifle? If so you may want to post this in the appropriate carbine section. This is more for precision rifles.

KCGD

Why the DPP? Everything I have heard, read and covered in RDS classes puts the DPP as a tier 2 RDS behind Trijicon RMR and Holosun 507, 508 and 509’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JP2011

I like the bigger field of view, it allows the use of NVG (I do carry NVG), tool less battery change, and I pick up the do faster due no tint on the lens. I am also a big advocate of buying USA made products. Being older, my eyes are as good as they once were.

I spoke to the individual who runs the firearms division for the US Marshalls and he told me that they had no issues with it. That agency liked the RMR because it was more rugged. The Leupold is on their approved list but majority run the RMR.

I have reached out to several agencies who tested the DPP, and those who tested it years back encountered issues. Those that tested it more recent, did not have any failures or issues related to the motherboard or battery.

With the fixes Leupold did on the DPP, you think it's still a second tier optic?

Default.mp3

Established
The main problem I am aware of with the DPP is the fact that it has a more exposed emitter compared to the RMR; this means that it is far harder to use in the rain once water gets into the emitter area. I was told that the Army SMU really liked the DPP until they used it during a competition that had a lot of rain while it ran.

Lane C

Rico and the Man
Staff member
JP2011

IIRC the DPP issues were fixed with new boards around early to mid 2019. So you should be good to go. I have a first gen and second gen DPP and have not had to send them in for repairs.

A few things. To be clear and up front, I distribute for a LE distributor and we distribute Leupold. Along with Aimpoint, Trijicon and Holosun optics. I am not in serivce anymore, so I tend to beat my demo gear up more than I would have when I was on the job so I have a better read on durability of products. I currently have on my demo guns a Aimpoint AcroP2, Leupold DPP, Trijicon RMR 6 and 7 and a Holosun 507C.

I would not hesitate to use any of them on the job. They all have their pros and cons. So let me list some features that I like in an red dot and hopefully this will help with your decision. I always say to end users. Anything built by man can be broken by man. So use that analogy as a reality check when procuring any products. How the manufacture takes care of the problem is where the benchmarks get set.

I like enclosed emitters as it is just one less thing to have go wrong with an optic. I am not saying open emitters are wrong, far from it. Just that a enclosed emitter reduces the chase of debris occluding the LED. This is what athletes call a marginal gain! Think of the difference between a gold medalist and solve medalist.

I also prefer units that use CR2032 batteries. They are easy to procure and have the longest battery life technology for handgun RDS as of today. 1500 and 1600 series are just a lower capacity cell and thus lower life span. Again, those are not bad or wrong. Just another feature that I prefer.

I like replacing batteries without having to remove the RDS from the slide. Just an easier method and reducing the chances of being off zero.

I like a very positive windage and elevation adjustment so I can count the clicks for MOA when conducting a zero.

I use RDS with NVG a lot. IT is a great method of passive targeting with a handgun.

Lane Critser

DPP PROS
Uses a 2032 battery
Positive clicks for windage and elevation
Swap battery with a top latch and holds the battery with a magnet.
Has a high torque value to the slide to increase a solid mount and loss of zero.
Motion Sensor Technology for saving battery power.
Great company to work with for warranty and product support.

DPP Cons (me personally - Some people are not bothered by these)
The LED intensity button is on the 12 o'clock of the RDS where the battery is loaded. You have to tap the button to either increase or decrease intensity. My big finger tends to block the emitter and I have difficulty seeing or changing the intensity.
The body is thick/taller than most RDS. So you have a narrower option for suppressor height sites if you operate with a backup iron policy.

I have attached a comparison chart of the four most common RDS sights that we sell to law enforcement either as an agency program or individual officers. This hopefully will help you with what features you want for your use.

I cannot stress enough the importance of PROPER TORQUE values when installing RDS to handguns. It is the most common issue I find with agencies for either damaged units or failure to maintain a zero. Without a doubt when I ask the end user with a failed RDS what was the torque vales or process they used for torquing they reply that they just hand set the RDS.

Best of luck

Attachments

• CBL Red Dot Comparison CBL 2021.pdf
    248 KB · Views: 32

Erick Gelhaus

Staff member
I also prefer units that use CR2032 batteries. They are easy to procure and have the longest battery life technology for handgun RDS as of today. 1500 and 1600 series are just a lower capacity cell and thus lower life span. Again, those are not bad or wrong. Just another feature that I prefer.

I like replacing batteries without having to remove the RDS from the slide. Just an easier method and reducing the chances of being off zero.

I like a very positive windage and elevation adjustment so I can count the clicks for MOA when conducting a zero.

I use RDS with NVG a lot. IT is a great method of passive targeting with a handgun.

Lane Critser

DPP PROS
Uses a 2032 battery
Positive clicks for windage and elevation
Swap battery with a top latch and holds the battery with a magnet.
Has a high torque value to the slide to increase a solid mount and loss of zero.
Motion Sensor Technology for saving battery power.
Great company to work with for warranty and product support.

DPP Cons (me personally - Some people are not bothered by these)
The LED intensity button is on the 12 o'clock of the RDS where the battery is loaded. You have to tap the button to either increase or decrease intensity. My big finger tends to block the emitter and I have difficulty seeing or changing the intensity.
The body is thick/taller than most RDS. So you have a narrower option for suppressor height sites if you operate with a backup iron policy.
Lane - thank you for sharing that. Can I use the doc in my material, student handouts?