Let’s talk multi-tools.

I went back to the original pst. Slim and simple. And lightweight. I think they made them of better ss back then as it never gets any corrosion, unlike some of the newer Leathermans.

I keep a leatherman MUT in my range bag and I’m amazed how much use it gets. I swapped the punch out for a a smaller glock size. I also wear a leatherman tread. Beyond that I keep a full tool kit in my truck

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
51F844D4-731A-4E6B-BE5E-5144AC18D40C.jpeg

I was rearranging some of my knife storage today and decided to get a group shot of the modest sampling of mutant pliers (and shears) that I own. The Switchplier2.0 is still my EDC, whereas the Powerplay stays in one of the administrative pouches on my Zombie Apocalypse/SHTF/LARPing belt, and the Raptor is in the IFAK on said belt

MLC

I've been using a Leatherman skeletool for multiple years now and it's done everything I need it to. Granted, I don't live a life of adventure like some of the people on this forum, but as an EDC it works great. It does 99% of what I need it to do and the flat head screwdriver tip can be pressed into service for prying work you don't want to use your knife tip for in a pinch. The clip still keeps it in place in my pocket and the bottle opener works like a champ.

I've been carrying a Leatherman Juice S2 for years now. I don't use multitools a ton, but I do like having one on me because it comes in handy from time to time. The Juice S2 is lightweight and small enough that it easily fits in my pocket along with the rest of my stuff, so I always have it on me.

Whiskey

Amateur
I carry the Leatherman MUT full time. In work clothes or my normal person clothes. I also carry the full bit kit in my pocket. Its quite convenient.

Tim Shaffer

Staff member
It is hard to believe we have a Multitool thread here and no one has mentioned the Multitasker 3. After I got my first one, I have literally not gone back to any of the myriad of other Multitools that I own from the other names (Gerber, Leatherman, and SOG). The quality of the MT3 is hands down superior to anything else I have used. The fact that it is also weapons centric (but not detracting from overall utility) is just an added bonus.

Constantly locking myself out. Yet I’m never without my knife and tool so that was my solution.

eb4602d447c4555a9f3c4b7b4c984f06.jpg

PKineKilla

I'm always tinkering with stuff, so I carry the shieldon custom multi tool . The bit driver on this thing is amazing, and the one-thumb opening mechanism for the pliers is super convenient. It doesn't have a pocket clip, but the sheath it comes with has a belt clip, which works fine for me.

I started carrying a multitool in probably 2010-2011, beginning with some Chinese Leatherman knockoff I got as a Cub Scout. Since then I've used options from Gerber, Leatherman, and Victorinox. Over the years my selection has gradually shrunk in size due to competing pocket real estate between other gear, and a general preference to streamline things. None of these are defensive tools for me, just literal tools, which drives some of my selection. My background is office work for the last 10 years, but prior to that I was doing cleanouts, rehabs, and other blue collar work in the real estate sector.

For several years I carried a Leatherman Squirt PS4. That's probably the smallest I've gone, but it really punched above its weight class. About the only complaint I had with it was a lack of tweezers to deal with splinters and metal shavings, which were a surprisingly common issue for a couple years.

Never having used a Swiss Army Knife, I decided to try the Victorinox Tinker a couple years ago. There's definitely some trade-offs between the SAK style and a Leatherman style of tool, specifically the loss of pliers/scissors from the Squirt PS4. That said, I did gain some more effective drivers, and the tool itself is very well made. Between the two, I've had a hard time deciding which is "best" for me, though the Squirt PS4 is a go-to for gifts.

For larger tools, I keep a Leatherman Supertool 300 in my range bag, which has proven to be incredibly helpful both on and off the range. It's certainly something I could throw on a belt pouch, but that's not a concession I'm willing to make at this point in my life. The tools here are extremely high quality, and it's given me no cause for concern for nearly a decade of use.

Last year I got a Gerber Dual-Force. While it does have its own shortcomings it has a really nice screwdriver that is offset to be centered on the handle when in use. The driver uses standard 1/4" bits so I was able to swap out a couple of the factory bits for ones that I am more likely to use. The slip joint pliers are also the most functional jaws I have used on a multitool for gripping nuts and turning rusted handles. For most people I think it isn't a great fit but it is definitely worth looking at in case it does fit you.

EricG

Amateur
The Leatherman Skeletool CX does what I need around the lab. The bit holder was stiff as 2 week regamortis at first but it eventually loosened with some use.
d8bafe9ec797ff80afba16a6249f4b66.jpg

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Carrion

Gerber Multi-plier 600 in black oxide. Have had it for a while and also the smaller version, not sure what its called.

Super solid pliers w cutters and the blades and screwdrivers are large enough and thick enough to be able to apply torque for larger jobs. Have gotten out of a few pickles with this. I also like that the tools it has onboard I actually use.

Only downside to me is that its kinda heavy.