Leather holsters?

JimH

In the age of wonder filled thermoplastic acrylic-polyvinyl chloride materials, does anyone still use a leather holster (as a personal choice)? Sometimes I wonder if I am just part of dwindling, anachronistic part of shooters heading to the Fudd farm...
Holster.jpg
In years past, I would usually get something made by Bianchi, but lately it's been holsters by Milt Sparks and Galco.
If you still carry a holster with a soul.....who do you use, and why?

Tleganza

I have a SOB tactical leather holster for a Glock 19 with a xc1. It’s a really nice holster but not what is normally thought of when thinking of a leather holster. It has a nice metal clip and is very comfortable. Picture is from the Internet. Not my exact one

Attachments

• 8086276D-AE58-4B8B-88B3-84EAB7135B60.png
    8086276D-AE58-4B8B-88B3-84EAB7135B60.png
    267.9 KB · Views: 9

Bub

Amateur
I carry a j-frame in a leather pancake thumb break holster or Phlster iwb depending on dress and what I'm doing. Leather kinda molds to the gun and your body after awhile. The big problem with leather in my opinion is that you get what you pay for. The brands you mentioned above typically offer some quality products, but that goes for the plastic stuff as well. Long way of saying you are not alone and there is nothing wrong with leather.

shoobe01

Established
Until the other month, still used a Versamax 2 for the Kahr. Problem I encountered was that most of the good makers are not as responsive to the changing market, so new guns and things like lights (I added a TLR6) and RMR cuts are not supported. So I have to get what I can.

For smaller guns esp, IWB, I still rather like leather, so may upgrade later if a good one becomes available for my configuration.

David Mayeur

Finding a quality leather holster that has good retention without the addition of retention devices is difficult to find. Even more so when you factor in the availability of leather holsters for modern firearms.

Producing kydex, boltaron, or injection molded polymer holsters is much easier than stitching together bits of a dead animal.

MojoNixon

Established
If I were carrying my G19 without a light or without a comp I still like the Kramer holsters I had years ago for my .45's and Delta Elite. Very comfortable and they have some soul that Kydex lacks.

Joker75

Amateur
Here are a few of the leather holsters that I have made, and use. I made all of them with leather and tools that I inherited from my grandfather. Some of them are ones that I made for friends and family. They are all IWB, and had straps, like the handcuff/baton one, once completed.

I did decide to start making Kydex holsters, mainly so I don't have to worry about the holster collapsing when I draw my firearm, making it difficult to re-holster. I still have a great fondness for good old leather and steel, but sometimes function trumps form.

Attachments

• Cop holster.jpg
    Cop holster.jpg
    348.7 KB · Views: 8
  • Deer Holster.jpg
    Deer Holster.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 9
  • Holster Green Lantern.jpg
    Holster Green Lantern.jpg
    300.9 KB · Views: 9
  • Punisher 2.jpg
    Punisher 2.jpg
    565.7 KB · Views: 10
  • Tiny cricket2.jpg
    Tiny cricket2.jpg
    568.2 KB · Views: 10

Gypsy EDC

In my opinion a leather holster is like a steel frame single stack or wheel gun. They're great for nostalgic purposes, and certainly better than a sharp stick but simply don't offer much when compared to a good "plastic" holster.

Just my .02