LE Duty Gloves

Bourneshooter

Blue Line Sheepdog
Ever since my beloved EOTAC leather duty gloves were lost (think they fell out my patrol car door one night), I've been hunting for a pair of reliable gloves that were cheap ($40 or so) due to the chance they will get contaminated with blood, but available in Cadet/Short finger sizing to allow good tight finger fit for shooting.

I have been trying some Mechanix Wear gloves, but the Medium fingers are just a tad to long, Smalls the palm size is to small to fit. The OR's I tried.... well not a leather option.

ptrlcop

Established
OR firemarks. Get signed up for the pro deal and they are in your price range

Don't wish it was easier, wish you were better

Steven Andrews

Three Weeks.
I've heard mixed things about the newer Turtleskin Alpha gloves. I tried them at SHOT a couple years back and was impressed. Shooting dexterity and needle-stick resistance are my big concerns. I'll order some and advise. Keep a look out for the Velocity Systems gloves that are getting some press, might fit your bill.

tact

I've used the Oakleys, Mechanix, and recently the SKD Pig gloves. They were nice but I quickly wore holes in the fingertips. I ordered the Velocity Systems gloves the other day....hopefully they live up to the hype. I just can't find any that last very long. I guess there is a trade off if you want good dexterity.

brownk279

I use either Nike or Under Armor football gloves from the local sports store. They are 15 bucks, last for a long time, and if they get nasty from dealing with our fine citizens they are easy to replace.

Depends entirely upon what I'm doing - use the right tools for the right job, ya know?

Searching - batting gloves, cheap and easily replaced.
Searching people - I keep a box of nitrile gloves in my car and carry about a dozen pairs in my work bag.
Shooting/tactical work - either SKD Pig or OR Overlord shorts

regdudedrtyjob

Mechanix for field use to protect my hands from thorns/brush etc. In the colder months they do fine keeping my hands warm in my area (SE AZ). I use them for searches as well, I feel there is not enough of a needlestick threat to look at a different pair of gloves. When taking prints and processing, I use the nitrile gloves.

Cris_Magpul

MAGPUL
Staff member
I generally roll with Mechanix, but was provided with two sets of Strongsuit gloves (two different models) to fuck around with. First impressions are positive, especially for the super lightweight/breathable pair (AZ summer time use). I'll try to remember to post a longer term eval in this thread once they get out through their paces.

“To find a quiet peace is the dream of every soldier. For some it takes longer than others. In my own experience I have discovered that it is far easier to find quiet than to find peace. True peace must come from within oneself.”

~ Major Richard "Dick" Winters

I use a pair of the OR piledriver gloves. Good dexterity, but I've found small tears near the pull tab loop. Don't affect function though.

I tried a pair of the turtle skin gloves, hated them. The needle stick liner in the palm and fingers is stiff and reduces dexterity, and I found the palms slick. Overall a shitty patrol glove.

Nick

I'll second the overlord short. I have the sensor version, and I have to say I have never owned better gloves

dont_tread_on_me

Use the SKD gloves on an almost daily basis for searching vehicles and occasionally if I think things will go hands on. Had a pair of the early "touch" models and was underwhelmed- they use a conductive thread unlike the sensor Overlords which, from my understanding, treat the leather to achieve the touch screen compatibility. When I lost the "touch" pair I just ordered the cheaper model and treated the tips with Nanotips, a paint on product that can be used with any glove to give it touch screen compatibility. It has worked much better, but truth be told I don't need to use the feature often. I'm bummed SKD has disco'ed the base model because the fit and dexterity is spot on.
One day I hope to rationalize a pair of the Overlords because I've heard such good things but FR is not a mission requirement for me currently. Also stoked to try the Velocity gloves because I'm such a fan of theirs and the price is right.

Grayman

Established
DTOM
OR has a very very good pro program. Makes the overlords a fairly affordable proposition.

Bourneshooter

Blue Line Sheepdog
So in January I got a pair of the Magpul Patrol gloves. I've been wearing them for work since then. The finger fit is shorter than same sized Mechanix, but not as short as a "cadet" or short finger glove.

I haven't had good luck with gloves, especially a duty glove that was tight enough to shoot a pistol with. These have met that need so far. I've also noticed that most gloves don't last long to rough use, and have been surprised with these. I took Will Petty's VCQB class last week and expected to destroy them on the sharp metal and broken glass. No wear issues. My fingers also stayed relatively warm even as it was trying to snow.

The more I've worn them, the better they fit.

8ae5a71e737b2198ef6863ce4fece170.jpg

PatMcG

Compared to the Mechanixs size wise how do the magpul ones compare. Example, medium in mechanic=medium in magpul?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

StaccySpeck

Amateur
I was using a pair of Magpul Core Patrol Gloves. Excellent gloves and worked with the in car touch screen. Anyone need a right large in excellent condition or have a left large they want to send me.