LASR X vs Mantis Laser Academy

Dan Morse

With ammunition prices and availability, I've been doing a lot more dry fire lately. I have a SIRT pistol and LASR Classic, but I am looking for a more portable option and the possibility of using a real pistol in dry fire.

It looks like LASR X runs $120 plus the $40 laser snap cap. Mantis Laser Academy is "free" plus the $40 laser snap cap and a $99 add on for additional drills.

LASR X allows the user to make targets out of anything, but it looks like Mantis Laser Academy uses proprietary targets (unverified)

I am not as worried about the cost as the features and usability. Does anyone have experience with either? Pros/Cons

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

bigslim3k

I have the Mantis laser academy and they do have targets that are set up for automatic scoring. You can use anything you want for a target and then assign the scoring zones. This is done in the app live as your camera is looking at the target.

The system works pretty well but you need a decent camera and good lighting. I have the last gen iPad Pro and an iPhone 11 and the iPads camera is not good enough even with supplemental lights set up. The phone works fine. If there is too much light the app will pickup shots that didn’t happen. Sunlight reflecting of the face of my watch causes shots to be registered. Shaking the camera will also cause shots to register. This is an issue when you using the app to start/stop/clear a drill (finger touching the screen) and if your tripod is not very stable and your walking around the tripod.

I bought the package that came with full-size tripod, table top tripod, laser cartridge, wooden dowel to push cart out of chamber, 8x11 and 5x7 targets, and blue sticky stuff to stick the targets to the wall (the same stuff you had in school back in the day)

For my use case I thinks it’s great. I typicality run dot torture and draw to first shot. The app is functional but not amazing and I don’t use 90% of the drills yet. You can buy the pink rhino laser cart on Amazon , print the targets from the Mantis site, and use the app for free I think. That’s an inexpensive option the use the kit and see if you like it.

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With ammunition prices and availability, I've been doing a lot more dry fire lately. I have a SIRT pistol and LASR Classic, but I am looking for a more portable option and the possibility of using a real pistol in dry fire.

It looks like LASR X runs $120 plus the $40 laser snap cap. Mantis Laser Academy is "free" plus the $40 laser snap cap and a $99 add on for additional drills.

LASR X allows the user to make targets out of anything, but it looks like Mantis Laser Academy uses proprietary targets (unverified)

I am not as worried about the cost as the features and usability. Does anyone have experience with either? Pros/Cons

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Our kit comes with access to the "Pro" section of the app. It also includes the laser for your gun. If you just get the laser and then buy that access to the app, it adds up to $100.

But yes, you can just get a laser cartridge and use the free section and print out the smart targets for free as well.

I have the Mantis laser academy and they do have targets that are set up for automatic scoring. You can use anything you want for a target and then assign the scoring zones. This is done in the app live as your camera is looking at the target.

The system works pretty well but you need a decent camera and good lighting. I have the last gen iPad Pro and an iPhone 11 and the iPads camera is not good enough even with supplemental lights set up. The phone works fine. If there is too much light the app will pickup shots that didn’t happen. Sunlight reflecting of the face of my watch causes shots to be registered. Shaking the camera will also cause shots to register. This is an issue when you using the app to start/stop/clear a drill (finger touching the screen) and if your tripod is not very stable and your walking around the tripod.

I bought the package that came with full-size tripod, table top tripod, laser cartridge, wooden dowel to push cart out of chamber, 8x11 and 5x7 targets, and blue sticky stuff to stick the targets to the wall (the same stuff you had in school back in the day)

For my use case I thinks it’s great. I typicality run dot torture and draw to first shot. The app is functional but not amazing and I don’t use 90% of the drills yet. You can buy the pink rhino laser cart on Amazon , print the targets from the Mantis site, and use the app for free I think. That’s an inexpensive option the use the kit and see if you like it.

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lighting is a huge factor in setting up the system. Also having a dark, matte background helps. Depending on the lighting of the room, having the targets as far away from the light is best, and having the phone/tablet physically close enough to see the target and not much else, helps as well.

The control section in our smart targets will start or stop the app, which will help in reducing any bounce or false shots.

To review your shots, you can do it in the app, or (if you set up an account) at a computer through train.mantisx.com.